• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Htc desire hd - stuck on boot screen

what youre experienceing is normal. adb is only useable in a booted OS,ie in the phones rom or a custom recovery. when in fastboot,adb commands do not work,you can only use "fastboot commands". thats why i said this above:
you will have to alter the directions some since your phone cannot boot completely. youll for the most part be doing the parts that involve fastboot( fastboot xxxx commands) with exception of making the gold card.

in other words,youll skip any commands that are adb xxxx and just run the commands that are fastboot xxxx after manually putting the phone into fastboot.

the parts where the phone wants to reboot,let it try and then pull the battery after a few seconds.

all were trying to accomplish here is to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery,both of wich are accomplished with fastboot commands,and can be done without a booting phone.

once youve goten this done,let us know if youve questions on how to use the recovery menu to flash the zipfile in step 2.

hang in there,its a lot of stuff to take in if youve never really messed with a phone on this level before :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Scotty, you must have infinite patience! :)

So, I'm currently getting stuck on this:

It sounds like you are not on a supported hboot. Do you have a big, pink locked at the top of your hboot screen? If not, you will need to update it. You should be able to download a compatible hboot from the htc Dev website.

When going through the unlock bootloader process, updating the bootloader should have been a screen along the way. I know folks have had trouble with this in the past, so if you cannot figure it out, I will see what I can do when I get home.

Upvote 0
It worked! I had to do a few extra steps other than he described, but now I have the identifier token.

In case anyone else needs them, here is what I did after copying his rom.zip to my C:\ drive.

fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip c:\rom.zip
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now on to the next step.

Upvote 0
I'm very pleased to have my phone running again, so can I just say at this point, a big THANK YOU Scotty!!

Ok, I'm a bit confused now. The phone is actually up and running again, reset to the way it was when I first bought it. The only strange thing is that there is no keyboard for some reason, so I can't enter the Wifi password or type anything.

Should I still continue with the steps you've outlined?

Upvote 0
Thanks, but it's just gotten way worse. I'm getting the 7 quick vibrations and it won't turn on. Am I screwed? Dammit, just when I thought I was getting somewhere!

oooooh... unfortunately,those are the "7 vibes of death" and indicate some hardware failure. you have done all you can do :(

for whatever its worth,it was a great effort,you were moving right along :cool:

Upvote 0
Ok, lets give this a try.

The android screen you went to by holding the volume down and the power button, that is called the hboot, or bootloader screen. Has a picture of Andy riding a skateboard at the bottom.

OK, now while on this screen use the volume buttons to highlight RECOVERY , press power to select.

Wait a hot second until a red triangle with an exclamation mark appears, this is normal. This is the stock recovery.

Now press and hold both volume up and volume down and press and hold the power button all at the same time. You should be taken to another menu, this menu should have a few options. I don't have the HD, so your options may differ slightly.

In here there should be an option to Wipe or CLEAR CACHE, press power to select.

There should also be an option to CLEAR STORAGE, press power to select this as well.

Then select REBOOT, or just pull the battery and re-insert, then reboot.

See if that works, if not we may need to find a copy of the official RUU and get it on your SD card. From there we can flash it from the stock recovery, if it's indeed the official RUU with HTC's keys.

In the mean time, I'll PM our resident HTC guru...Scotty

His all.... I do the same process what ur said but I didn't get the menu... it still red triangle and its self restating

Upvote 0
Hi, Yesterday i downloaded the update on my HTC Desire 816 Duel. Then i selected the option to Install It. Then later i saw my phone is stuck on Home Screen (where it says HTC. And at bottom Powered by Android).

I tried 'factory reset' and few other things from Boot menu. But after i restart the phone, it still stuck on home screen.

Please help.

Thanks

Upvote 0
definately try granites advice above.

if you are still not booting afterward, a couple of questions:

1)you are stable in the hboot screen(white,colored letters), correct?

2) are either of you experiencing 7 short vibrations when trying to boot?

the next step in attempting recovery would be to try and run an RUU to relfash factory software. since you are unrooted,and unmodified we will need to try and find a compatible ruu to run,since the phone will be doing several security checks.

if you can do the following,and post back the output,we can try and find the correct ruus for you to run.

Hi Scotty, i followed the above instruction and got these info, please help me. ---

INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 3.19.0.000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.13.3230.27
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 3.12.708.1
INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
INFOserialno: FA48NWW00131
INFOimei: 352706063111096
INFOimei2: 352706063111104
INFOmeid: 00000000000000
INFOproduct: a5_dug
INFOplatform: hTCBmsm8226
INFOmodelid: 0P9C70000
INFOcidnum: HTC__059
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 0mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 622b1fa2
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.413s

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones