1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Desire HD stuck on HTC Screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DRMacIver, Mar 28, 2011.

1. DRMacIver

DRMacIver Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Hi,

First off: some other people seem to have reported similar problems to this, but the conclusion in those threads was (as far as I could tell) "Rooting: You did it wrong". This is not a rooted phone, and while I've been vaguely considering rooting it I'm definitely not going to do so until I can figure out what's wrong with it.

I've had the phone a little over a month without problem until it turned itself into a brick on saturday night. On booting the phone simply sits in the HTC loading screen. Once there it is unresponsive to the power button in any way.

Details:
    • This happened just after the night of the (UK) daylight savings time change. This may or may not be relevant - the problem happened after the time change (some time between 3AM and 10AM) and I don't see anyone else reporting problems on the same day.
    • Taking the battery out and putting it back in again does nothing - the problem just resumes as soon as I turn it on again.
    • I have USB debugging enabled, but as far as I can tell the phone is not getting to a point where this is useful. When I connect it to a computer there's no evidence of USB activity.
    • I've tried pressing volume up + power. I don't even know if this works for the HD - googling seems to only mention it for the original desire - but either way it does nothing.
    • If left unplugged for a while the screen goes off and won't respond to the power button. I don't think this is it running out of power entirely - if I plug it back in the power button still won't do anything. If I then reseat the battery it returns to the previous state of freezing on boot.

It's still in warranty, so I'm going to call tech support later today and then take it back to the store tomorrow if that doesn't resolve things, but anything else I can try before hand?

Thanks.

David

Advertisement

2. DRMacIver

DRMacIver Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Ok, so apparently I was doing the recovery boot wrong - actually volume down, not volume up. Sigh.

However this didn't help: Doing a factory reset or a recovery boot just gets it to exactly the same point it was at before hand - hanging on the recovery screen.

Having talked to HTC tech support their basic conclusion was in that case there's not much I can do about it other than take the phone in for repair. Grand.

3. zoric

zoric Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Serbia
    I'm very sorry to hear that......i see many people having peoblems with their DHD but my didn't show any kind of malfuncion,simply it works great! Cheers

4. poopookakada

poopookakada Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Local Radio Presenter
    Swindon, UK
    Perhaps now is the time to root then? maybe rooting will enable you to flash the same version onto your phone but working..... maybe even a 2.2 ROM? (I am assuming it is on 2.2.1 being barely over a month old)

There are people around these parts that know if this is possible (unfortunately not me) and I hope it is, as I rarely hear of problems with these phones this severe.
    I personally have a DHD and downgraded from the buggy 2.2.1 to a debranded 2.2 just a few days ago (before daylight savings) and I can honestly say, it's miles better than what I had. It could well be a problem with daylight savings and your ROM version (I'm thinking like apple and the iPhone 4 here)

Hopefully I have given you an idea of things to try before taking it for repairs? (personally I think you should downgrade when you get it back regardless as 2.2.1 was terrible) and sorry if this is random garbled shit :D