1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Desire HELP!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TimTim4TheWin, Apr 22, 2012.

1. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

Ok, so I wanted to root my HTC Desire. I went to many many websites and hit many many dead ends. Eventually I ended up making a goldcard (Which I'm not even sure if I needed) as well as a bootable copy of Linux (Which I'm pretty sure I didnt need to do either). Anyway, I attempted to downgrade the Hboot (Because I had 1.06 and I needed lower than 1.02 to use unREVoked). I think that I accidently installed a AMOLED driver instead of a SLCD driver. Now my phone's screen won't come on. The phone itself appears to be functioning normally aside from the fact that I can't see the screen. Can someone please help me figure out what to do!? If you guys need more info or anything, just let me know. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Hello and welcome aboard.. Sorry to know that you're having problems with your device. Here's hoping someone will chime in to assist you.

I've moved your thread to its device's support forum hopefully to get it some responses. :)

3. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Done.

OP: read the guide carefully. There's a link in it to the SLCD-unbricking process. As with any of this stuff, make sure you understand what you are doing before proceding - ask if necessary.

Caution:
    He has hboot 1.06 - doesn't that mean it's a CDMA device? In which case he'll need a different RUU.

@TimTim: you didn't need to downgrade the hboot, just use revolutionary to root. There's a guide to that in this forum, linked from the All Things Root Guide sticky post. So if you can get the SLCD brick fixed the rest is straightforward.

If you have trouble finding the right RUU, tell us more about your device/network. Someone may be able to help.

5. SUroot

Oh. Didnt know you could lcd brick a cdma....

Iin which case, HOW did you downgrade????

6. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

Ok, after doing a bit more research, I think it IS in fact a CDMA device. Although in this case, I have no idea what caused the screen to act up like that. So this means that I can't use the RUU he posted, right? I could never seem to find the right one, and apparently when I thought i'd found the right one and flashed it, it was not the right one.. :(

7. Hadron

VIP Member

Which RUU did you flash?

The RUU SUroot posted is for a GSM device, and I'm afraid you cannot use GSM firmware on a CDMA device or vice-versa.

8. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

This is the site that I followed in order to attempt to downgrade my Hboot. Changing Hboot Aussie Android ROMS

9. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

It's quite likely that I flashed it with GSM firmware by accident. (Would that cause the screen to stop working?) So now what?

10. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

I was originally attempting to follow your guide here: http://androidforums.com/desire-all...d-windows-updated-11th-november-2011-a.html#1 And it said under the "Essential Information" title that I "Make a note of your Hboot version - Must be lower than 1.02 If not READ THIS". (The "READ THIS" is linked, however, the link is a link to the page I was already on? Is it supposed to be like that?) So I decided from that point that I needed to figure out how to downgrade my Hboot. I followed this guide : Changing Hboot Aussie Android ROMS and successfully made my phone S-OFF. (It also made my Hboot 6.06.00?? I forget the exact numbers and can't refrence it with the screen being down..) From that point, I used "Android Flasher" to flash my device with an RUU I found online which was apparently the wrong one. So now I can't see my screen.

11. Hadron

VIP Member

I'm actually surprised you could run the wrong RUU (unless you've made your SD card into a goldcard?) - they are supposed to check the handset id. No idea what might happen if you flashed GSM firmware - it could have done a lot worse TBH.

The other odd thing is that the hboot changing method that site describes won't work on an unrooted phone (or more precisely, it needs S-Off, but the way you get that on a CDMA device is by rooting).

So, RUUs: what network was your handset from?

12. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

Yes, I made a goldcard. And i'm not sure how I made it S-OFF, but it definatly said that. (Mabye I already had it rooted and didn't know it? That would make me mad lol) Anyway, I am with Ntelos if that's what youre asking?

13. Hadron

VIP Member

OK, we've crossed posts. So, you had 1.06 hboot, then used alpharev to S-Off (or did you use revolutionary, linked from the alpharev site? That would make sense if you had 1.06).

Right, with that done you could well run an RUU, as that would bypass the cid check. Unfortunately you didn't need to either - once you had S-Off you could have rooted easily.

OK, I reckon I can tell you how to run an RUU without the screen being on, but we'd need to find the right one. Did you get any error messages when you ran the last one? Do you know exactly what file it was you flashed using Android Flasher?

14. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

I'm pretty sure I used revolutionary.

I don't think I got an error message when I used "Android Flasher", but its been a day or two and my memory is fuzzy. (Or did you mean something else?)

15. Hadron

VIP Member

Damn, Ntelos isn't the answer I was hoping for. I've never heard of a RUU for them (and can find plenty of places claiming that there isn't one :(). Since we don't have CDMA on this side of the Pond I'm slightly reluctant to suggest other CDMA RUUs, since I don't know what the differences are. You could try, but I'd give it a little while and see whether any CDMA users have any advice.

16. Hadron

VIP Member

Ah, if only you'd asked here! Once you'd used revolutionary you could have just flashed a small patch to root your ROM.

Seriously though, can you tell us exactly what you flashed? You don't normally use Android Flasher to run an RUU, as these are self-contained packages. You could extract the image files from one and flash those, so if you did that it would be useful to know exactly which files you flashed? I'm guessing it wasn't the radio.img, because your phone is still alive!

17. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

Yes, It really is a shame. :( And no, I knew better than to flash the radio, I read about that lol. I'm almost positive I used the "bravo_downgrade" from the AlphaRev 1.8 site: AlphaRev 1.8 I Used Android Flasher and selected the "Bootloader" option, then uploaded the bravo_downgrade.img file I got from AlphaRev...

18. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

You were asking for my Phone Company, correct?

19. SUroot

Argghh. You cant use any of the alpharev Hboot things...

We need to find a compatible RUU....

20. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

Haha well oops. So how do I go about finding one?

21. SUroot

OK from here:

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...-backup-rom-unrooted-phone-2.html#post2800356

I know Alltell and USCC RUU's work.

I only know of the Alltell 2.1 which may not work.... But if the downgrader hboot is in place.. It might

For info thats here:

Shipped ROMs

But dont do anything yet. Thats just for info as Im off to bed shortly.

EDIT:

USCC 2.2 RUU:

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-desire-uscellular/software-updates

So I reckon:

1) Download USCC RUU
    2) Pull battery out of phone to ensure off
    3) Hold back + power from Off to get to fastboot screen
    4) Plug USB in and wait 10 seconds
    5) Run RUU.exe from windows PC...

I'm just waiting for the USCC ruu to download (very slow) to partly verify it... but its taking an age. Dont think it will download before bed.

TimTim4TheWin likes this.
  22. Hadron

VIP Member

OK, SUroot's beaten me to it (I was interrupted by family members a few times - and am supposed to be writing a lecture!).

23. SUroot

I have it from an nTelos user that he has succesfully flashed USCC RUU (See link above) so there should be no issue. The USCC RUU has been known to work on a few different CDMA (Bell Communications and some others). Whether a goldcard is required or not, I do not know... Lets assume yes to that, but it should work....

24. Hadron

VIP Member

If the cid bypassing qualities of the downgrader hboot are still working a goldcard should not be needed. Otherwise it will be. Anyway, TimTim says he has a goldcard.

So, as long as the phone will still talk to the computer it should be possible to run it.

25. TimTim4TheWin

TimTim4TheWin Newbie

Ok, I will try this. It's downloading now. Are we sure I wouldnt need to tell the phone to use "Disk Drive" mode? And I do not need to download HTC Sync?

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews