• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire not working in UK - Radio Issue?

kubauk

Lurker
Mar 2, 2011
Hi all,

I recently bought a second hand Desire in Poland which the seller assures me was bought in from the UK. The phone was originally branded by Orange but has since been de-branded to stock Eclair by the seller than to stock Froyo by me (using RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe)

The phone was working perfectly in Poland for the last two months and now, after moving to the UK, the phone can not make or receive calls or sms'. Interestingly enough, 3G internet does work despite this lack of support for the standard GSM services.

This has lead me to believe that it this is an issue with the Radio/GSM Bands on which the phone is trying to operate.

Does anyone know what I can do to make this phone work in the UK? Is it possible to change the radio drivers to support the UK bands? Is this even likely to be the actual problem I am facing?

I have tried installing the branded T-Mobile software RUU_Bravo_TMO_UK_1.21.110.4_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_127570_signed.exe on the phone (I am using T-Mobile now) but it did not install due to an incorrect bootloader (maybe mine is too new). I think I might try and find a new version of this ROM.

I don't care much about rooting but if it needs to be done to fix this issue I am ready to do so.

Can anyone help?

Additional Info:
Android version: 2.2
Baseband version: 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
Kernel version: 2.6.32.15-gf4a401c
Build number: 2.29.405.5 CL293415 release-keys
Software version: 2.29.405.5
Browser version: WebKit 3.1

The GSM standard in Poland and here in the UK is the same, so its not that.

So if the phone definately worked in Poland the hardware should also be fine. So the remaining has to do with software and/or some form of sim-lock problem, not sure what though.

You might have to investigate that Rooting stuff more....

Mons

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones