1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

HTC Desire on a Mac

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by taffysaint, May 2, 2010.

1. taffysaint

taffysaint Member

May 2, 2010
    Hi All!

Just picked up my Desire on 02 from CPW yesterday, breaking free from the Apple ecosystem after a few years!

I do however have a Mac and my Desire doesn't show up in the Finder window - anyone else have this problem? the guy told me it would work with a mac but suspect he didn't have a clue.

Any help would be great! (It's not a complete disaster, I do have a Windows work PC and an Ubuntu netbook...)

PS - I did try to do a a search for the problem but couldn't find any threads on this, but apologies if this is a duplicate.

Advertisement

2. No idea about the MAC but I can mount perfectly with my Linux Mint distort, based off Ubuntu so that will work if the Mac doesn't.

3. jaseuk

jaseuk Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Civil Servant
    Yorkshire
    Hi,
    I'm running a Mac Powerbook G4 on 10.4.11 and it's recognised fine, what I did notice is that you have to used the data cable that comes with the phone (or another decent quality one) I used a pound shop multi usb adaptor and it doesn't show at all.

4. chrisl

chrisl Member

May 2, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    My Desire appears in the Finder on my Macs running Snow Leopard & Leopard (10.6 & 10.5) and fully works as expected. Can I just check: are you choosing the Disk Drive connection type, then pressing Done at the bottom of the screen, when you connect the USB cable?

5. macwillis

macwillis Member

Apr 11, 2010
    im running OSX 10.6 on the new 13" MBP-
    when you plug your Desire into your mac, tell the desire to use disk drive mode ( drag down the too bar and choose " USB connection Type" ( i think) and then it will show in finder as removable storage card.

if your running 10.5 or later download " Double Twist" its like iTunes but for android, even including the android market

6. taffysaint

taffysaint Member

May 2, 2010
    Thanks all, I didn't realise about picking the connection type! (d'oh!)

I've been busy trying to get MMS set up and in the process broke the internet on the phone - anyone know a place when APN instructions for 02 are listed? Their site is useless.

7. macwillis

macwillis Member

Apr 11, 2010
    o2 MMS settings

Access point name: wap.o2.co.uk (contract customers) or payandgo.o2.co.uk (pay-as-you-go customers)
    Username: o2wap (contract customers) or payandgo (pay-as-you-go customers)
    Password: password
    Authentication: Normal
    Data bearer: GPRS
    Gateway IP (proxy) address: 193.113.200.195
    Session mode: Permanent
    Port number: 8080 or 9201
    URL address: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

8. taffysaint

taffysaint Member

May 2, 2010
    Thanks again, I think the settings look OK but need to check that MMS is set up, SIM card came out of my old iPhone...

9. macwillis

macwillis Member

Apr 11, 2010
    ohwell should still be alright tho.

if not just ring them up, i allways found their customer service very helpful

Tags: