• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire on Orange, how do i get 2.2 ?

Well Conor Maples (Orange's PR manager) posted this on Twitter on 2nd August. Today he's been asked for progress information and if there will be a Vodafone-style ability to remove preinstalled apps and in response he's posted this.

Basically it's a case of be patient and wait a couple more weeks. If you can't do these things you're looking at rooting and debranding your Desire. Personally I'm happy to wait.

Reactions: smegbat
Upvote 0
right, phone appears to be working all ok.
calls work (new android icon for callers without pics)
texts dont, htc_ime mod (process jonasl.ime) has stopped unexpectadly ( i added a keyboard mode for voice)
//Works again now, had to disable the HTC_ime keyboard i had downloaded, presumming not compatible yet
new icons for:-
Bluetooth, Wfif, Mobile, profile and GPS
new apps:-
App Sharing
Flashlight
News and Weather (i think, i dont remember seeing it before)
WIFI hotspot
system information now telling me im on android 2.2

All my emails had gone, but thats fine, id already read them, all settings are still there though for my personal account.
Have sent email to personal account, and phone has picked up all ok and stored, so appears fine
Google homepage, on internet browser, doesnt aquire my location now?

Upvote 0
hi to both phenomenological and pace960, forgive my ignorance in the matter.
yes i did buy it from CarphoneWarehouse, it hasnt got any branding actually on the handset, like some previous orange phones in the past.
to be fair, i havent even tried another sim in the phone?
so it could well be a simfree handset.
i did all the details described above and touch wood, all appears to be fine.
is there any way, i can tell what you are after, as id be glad to share my finding, so you are clear for sure?

steve

Upvote 0
does that make it better or worse though.
by that i mean, will things have been fully tested and checked for compatibility etc? or are the major providers just more cautious ?

i will advise of any issues yes, but to be fair, im not a hardcore type user and 'messer' lol, but the 'simple' things at present appear to be working, so im happy with the upgrade, but agian to be fair, what the upgrade has realy provided me with is still a little cloudy.

the main bbc website, though does now play videos in page, which i understand was one of the main benefits from the website focus this morning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones