1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC Desire Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alexward, May 4, 2012.

1. alexward

alexward Newbie
    None

May 4, 2012
    Male
    machine op
    Millow, Bedfordshire, UK
    Evening all.
    I'm new to the forum so be gentle!!
    I have an HTC Desire which is now two years old.
    I've recently been experiencing some problems.
    I have all the apps which i'm allowed to save on the sd card, saved on the sd card. I've hardly got any media on the phone i.e photos or videos, but the phone keeps telling me my 'phone' memory is full. To the point where sometimes it won't let me open a text message until I delete some other data. The memory full icon appears in the top bar (top left) which I click from the drag down screen, to which it then takes me to the applications menu to delete some other stuff!!
    My SD card is only half full, but I cant move anymore over to it as the phone does not give me the option to.
    The phone has also become extremely slow. Apps like facebook etc when logged onto my wireless network take an age to load. Tonight, Facebook will not load up at all!!
    I've tried taking the slow apps off and reloading them, but it doesnt make any difference.
    Has anyone got any ideas how I can fix my trusty old Desire???
    Many thanks

Advertisement

2. ou7shined

ou7shined Well-Known Member
    None

May 11, 2010
    musician / luthier
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    This is pretty much the same situation I was in the other week - 2 years old and straining under the constraints of the supplied software... but now my phone is rooted (access to the sub levels of the programing is opened up) and I have reorganised the allocated memory in it and it is now faster and freer and more fun that it has ever been.

3. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Rooted last year and haven't looked back. Have a look at the root guide in All Things Root section of this forum.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The problem is that moving an app to SD doesn't move the whole app, and doesn't move app data. So as you add apps you still use internal space, even if you move them to SD.

As ou7shined has said, you can improve this by rooting. There are many options there, so read the faqs in the All Things Root subforum, and don't rush in - decide for yourself whether it is for you, and if it is, if there is anything you are unsure of then ask first (we prefer preventing problems to fixing them! ;)).

One other thought: are any of your apps using a lot of data? Use the manage applications menu, look at all apps and sort by size, and see whether there are any very large ones (Quick System Info is also very good for this).

5. weejohn

weejohn Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    I was in exactly the same situation 2 months ago and after lots of reading on various forums I rooted it and installed the latest Supernova ROM which has given me the following benefits a) unlimited space (uses the SD card as system memory), b) with use of certain apps on the market - the ability to uninstall HTC junk, c) maintained the HTC Sense skin and d) it's been just as reliable as before. I'm no expert on this but here are a couple of links to get you started.

http://supernova.droidzone.in/
    http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/503471-desire-all-things-root-guide.html

The supernova rom is only one option and you might prefer something different - see this page for more discussion http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/353729-rom-type-you-using.html
    As long as you back up your SD card and make a note of the apps you have (titanium backup app is useful for this) you will eventually succeed. I'd never done it before and after all my reading and downloading of relevant software it took me about 2 hours to do it. After you have done it - it is worth using a battery calibration app as the new ROM may incorrectly measure battery capacity afterwards.
    Good luck and I hope you get many more years of use out of your handset!

6. alexward

alexward Newbie
    None

May 4, 2012
    Male
    machine op
    Millow, Bedfordshire, UK
    Cheers for the responses guys. I'll have a look into 'rooting' in the FAQ's and report back ;):)

Tags: