• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire repair experiences? Here's mine.

Rafalema

Jan 22, 2011
Finland
So..

The screen breaks when I keep it in my jean-front-pocket for a couple of hours, I shouldn't have done that and won't do it again, but the screen is now broken.

And just to confirm, the digitizer, (topmost layer of the screen) is OK, and the broken part of the screen is the LCD-screen itself.

Now I know for a fact that this sort of LCD-screen for Desire costs around 80 €.

So I took it in for repairs to the store where I bought it from.
They took it in.

Now, after more than 2 weeks of "checking is the fault covered by warranty" they call me and give me the repair estimate: 250 €. Seriously?

250 € - 90 € (screen+shpng.) = 160 € for the job of changing the screen.

So, I ask, what are your experiences? Have you broken a screen? How much did it cost? Is this sort of price "normal"?

All tips/answers are appreciated.

ive found htc somewhat bad for repairs. me and my partner have both got a desire and now is out of warrenty but in the 12 months of the warrenty we both had to send our phones back 3-4 times each.

my partners phone was never fixed everytime they sent it back it still had the same problem untill they just said we dont know how to fix it lol

Upvote 0
Got another call from them..

I still have to pay a fee for them checking the phone :mad:

And for some insane, bizarre reason, they shipped it out of the town, though the receit I was given when I gave the phone to them had the name of the repair company, located here. Now it will take several days to get here.

More than 2 weeks, nothing done, and I have to pay for it :mad:

@SUroot, I don't know.
They just told me somewhere along the lines of "the screens won't broke themselves" and that's the reason for no warranty.
(I have a Q for you, about Redux, what version do you have? I'm planning to root and flash redux whenever I get the thing operational again.)

@cairns84, HTC hasn't even been involved (for now), it's just the store and their "repair centre".

Thanks for the replies folks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones