1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Desire S continually booting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The Scotsman, Oct 26, 2011.

1. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi There

I sent my desire s in for repair last week as the phone locked up, then after i took out battery and tried again it kept on going into a loop on the HTC Quietly brilliant screen and no further, got it back yesterday saying that updates had been done, thorough tests. etc, but put in my sim and micro Sd card in and it is still doing the same.
    My question is: Could it be the Micro sd card? and if so, can the Desire S boot up without the Sd card (if i remove it), I don't want to send it back again if it is the micro sd card that is the problem.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. daveybaby

daveybaby Android Expert
    None

Sep 21, 2009
    Software engineer
    UK
    Unlikely to be the SD card IMO, but there's nothing stopping you from trying it is there? Just taking out the SD card and boot the phone - you wont damage anything.

3. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have tried it without the sd card, and it does the same thing, i was just wondering if it needed it to boot, as there are a lot of files on there particular to the HTC. and if it was corrupted it might have caused the booting up problem.

4. daveybaby

daveybaby Android Expert
    None

Sep 21, 2009
    Software engineer
    UK
    Ah, sorry, my mistake. AFAIK any android phone should be able to boot fully without the SD card present. A lot of apps (e.g. camera) probably wont work, and obviously any apps that've been moved to SD wont load, which will cause a variety of problems, but you shouldnt see any bootloop behaviour.

Having said all that, i'm not intimately familiar with the desire S, so maybe theres something special about that particular phone that requires the sd card - but frankly i doubt it. You might try asking in the desire S subforum, see if anyone in there has more info, but to me it sounds like a duff phone.

5. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks for the input, yes, i also think it is a duff phone, Looks like it is going back again, I will try another sd card first though, have one at home.

6. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Your phone should be able to boot without a SIM or an SD card. So it could be a shoddy repair job from HTC, which, given a few of the posts in this forum, isn't that unlikely.

7. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    It couldn't have went off to HTC as I posted it on a Thursday and got it back Saturday, I assume It went to Virgin mobiles repair centre, They said they had upgraded the software and gave it a thorough testing, obviously not thorough enough, probably 5 minute job. It's going back tomorrow.

8. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    The irony is that most of these repair centres aren't owned by HTC or any of the network providers, but are contracted to do the repairs on their behalf. So it's likely that where Virgin sends their repairs to may also be the same as where Orange, T-Mobile, O2, etc, and HTC send theirs.

9. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Most likely, I have typed up what is the problem in more detail and will send that to them, so hopefully this time they will give it more than 5 minutes of their time.

10. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
  11. Steph17993

Steph17993 Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    i am having the exact same problem i sent off to get fixed day later it keeps doing the bootloop over and over have u had any luck trying to get it back to normal if so how??:thinking:

Tags: