• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire S Unlocked to use O2 Now No Internet Connection

Andrew_s

Lurker
Jun 8, 2014
Hi

A family member has a contract with T Mobile and recently got a new HTC phone, so I got their old one. It was locked to T mobile so I unlocked so I can use my O2 sim, which lets mt text/phone etc. But no internet connection.

I done a live chat with O2 guy the other night and he sent instructions to set up new APN, which never resolved anything (see below), however I missed tapping the circle next to the new profile until green dot appears, so didn't realise I had missed this part at the time.

I then phoned O2 and an adviser walked me through setting up another APN, which had different settings and this time I tapped next to the profile to get the green dot, still no t'internet.

Now the latest APN is on and I can't select the other one to try it in case that was the problem the first time.

Settings for fist APN which does not have green dot:

Please note all steps must be completed to ensure the settings are correctly configured.

Please ensure that when entering O2 into the settings that the letter O is selected and not a zero.

When entering the following information do not press Save until told to in the instructions.

Tap the Menu key

Tap Settings

Tap Wireless & network

Tap Mobile networks

Make sure that the Use packet data box has a green tick in it (tap box to change)

Tap Access Point Names

Tap the Menu key

Tap New APN

Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Pay & Go then tap OK

Tap APN then tap the text box and enter payandgo.o2.co.uk then tap OK

Tap Proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

Tap Port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

Tap Username then tap the text box and enter payandgo then tap OK

Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK

Skip past Server as this is preset as Not set

Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 then tap OK

Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK

Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK

Tap Authentication type and tap PAP

Tap APN type and tap Internet + MMS

Press the Menu key

Tap Save

Tap the circle next to the new profile so a green dot appears in it

Press the Back key four times to return to the main menu.

Switch your handset off and then back on to complete your settings.
The other profile I am using, which is green dotted has settings:

Name: 02mobileweb
APN:mobile.o2.co.uk
No proxy
No port
username: o2web
Password
No server
No MMS Proxy
No MMS port
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
No authentication
APN Type: default,hipri

Maybe someone has an idea - when I click on internet icon I get box saying:

Connection failed: This application requires network access. Enable mobile network or wifi to download data. When I click on mobile network it tries to connect for a few seconds then gives message:

connection failed due to incorrect apn settings

Can anyone see the problem with my APN Settings?

Thanks

Andrew

The APN settings depend on the carrier, so all we can do is give them a sanity check.

Both look sane. Whether they're correct for what o2 is using in your area is something I can't say. What I would do is bring the phone into a store and ask them to please set the APN settings so that I could get internet (and try it before I left the store, of course).

I assume the model of the phone is European, not American, or no APN setting would work.

Upvote 0
The APN settings depend on the carrier, so all we can do is give them a sanity check.

Both look sane. Whether they're correct for what o2 is using in your area is something I can't say. What I would do is bring the phone into a store and ask them to please set the APN settings so that I could get internet (and try it before I left the store, of course).

I assume the model of the phone is European, not American, or no APN setting would work.

I'm assuming it is as it was part of a UK T-Mobile contract.

I'll take it to an O2 shop and seei f they can have a look.

Thanks for replying

Andrew

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones