• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire S won't fully start up - and says 'Locked' on reset screen

Jfers

Lurker
Apr 12, 2015
Wales, UK
My HTC Desire S turns on then stays on the carrier screen (Orange) for 8+ minutes, then I hear the bingity-bong sound as if it's starting-up properly before it goes to a black screen. It stays on the black screen (presumably forever) although around every 10 minutes or so it 'bing-bongs' again almost as if it's trying to start up properly, but nothing appears to change.

Through this Forum (thank you!) I've learnt how to get to the factory reset screen (volume down, power button, etc) although I'd prefer not to do a Factory Reset unless I absolutely have to. Also the top of that screen it reads

LOCKED (in pink)
SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.002
RADIO-3822.10.08.04_M
eMMC-boot
Aug 2011,15:22:13

I don't know whether this is right or might cause problems even if I do a Factory Reset?

The phone no longer connects to my windows laptop via USB - either nothing happens, or on one attempt the laptop said that the device was not recognized. I've tried a different battery, removing SD card and SIM. Before this problem, the phone had been getting a little slow and appearing to freeze for 20 seconds or so on some screens/in some apps.

Any suggestions would be very very welcome.

A factory reset from recovery mode won't delete your data (well, it shouldn't), you'll have to reinstall your apps but your app data, pictures, music and videos will be intact
Edit: Yeah, forget that. A factory reset will revert it to an out-of-box phone, with none of your personal data kept. I had a similar problem with my Galaxy S2 once, it looped the boot animation forever. So my advise is to download one of the files and follow the instructions at http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-re-flash-stock-rom-ruu-after-bricking-a-rooted-device.580188/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From the bootloader (where you copied out that info at the top, well done btw) navigate to HBOOT (or BOOTLOADER depending on your region) and from there - RECOVERY.

Wait a while. Recovery will appear.

Choose to wipe cache and then reboot.

If the symptoms persist, same process again - and I am sorry - factory data reset.

If still no joy, back in you go, this time to FASTBOOT, plug in to PC. If everything good so far, it will say FASTBOOT USB.

Get the Mini-SDK -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Just the sdk-tools.zip file, that's all. Unzip to get sdk-tools folder.

Windows Explorer, shift+right click on the sdk-tools folder and choose Open a command window here.

In it say -

fastboot getvar all

Alt+space in command window for menu, E for edit, select all, copy and paste into here.

Remove your meid and serial numbers before submitting the post - keep that off the Internet.

If it doesn't respond to fastboot at all, install HTC Sync (and you can uninstall it, the drivers we need will be left behind).
If on a Mac or Linux, no problem, the Mini-SDK covers those and no drivers are required. On a Mac, your command window is under Finder, Applications, Utilities, Terminal Window. Type in cd then a space, then drag the sdk-tools folder over from the Finder and drop it in the Terminal, finally press return. Execute fastboot command as above.

And - what carrier please?

I'll stop back later.

If any questions, please stop and ask.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones