• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire, Screen cracking on it's own

Have you had a screen crack on its own?

• Yes - AMOLED

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • No - AMOLED

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • Yes - SLCD

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No - SLCD

Votes: 24 28.6%

• Total voters

Elwood42

Jul 20, 2010
As the question asks, have you had your Desires screen crack on its own when just left sitting on your desk, or on charge, etc? Ideally if you can check the right poll option depending on whether you have an AMOLED screen or the new SLCD screen, as I'm wondering if that factors into it.

No, I'm just planning on getting one soon, but don't want to if the screen is going to crack when I'm doing something as innocent as charging it. Also not only to find HTC will charge you for the repair, even when it's under warranty.

Mate don't even think about that when deciding about this phone.

I have seen it on here once but the person said that he had dropped it and that would have caused stress that led to the crack.

I have dropped mine a few times now and after the initial heart in mouth moment its all been perfectly ok. I would not advocate chucking it about but its pretty hard wearing.

Don't let this affect your decision :D

Upvote 0
No, I'm just planning on getting one soon, but don't want to if the screen is going to crack when I'm doing something as innocent as charging it. Also not only to find HTC will charge you for the repair, even when it's under warranty.

To be fair I think any manufacturer would question a cracked screen. I don't see this as a common issue at all though. I know 3 other people who have had Desires for months with no issues....

Upvote 0
Yeah true, I will end up getting one, I'm just looking to see how to prevent it, but guess that's hard when people don't really know the cause. "maybe caused by heat when charging" isn't a great help.

Maybe the first couple of times I charge it, I'll set a camera up to film it, just in case. :p

Upvote 0
Yeah true, I will end up getting one, I'm just looking to see how to prevent it, but guess that's hard when people don't really know the cause. "maybe caused by heat when charging" isn't a great help.

Maybe the first couple of times I charge it, I'll set a camera up to film it, just in case. :p

don't worry! At first before I bought Desire I was scared that there was issue with lot of Desires that they restart on they own, havent got any problams in two months and I hope I wond get any. Still you can allways RMA it ;)

Upvote 0
Mine did, yesterday, but you probably already read about it in the other thread. I'm sure it's not a common problem, however, the support from htc is turning out to be very problematic once you get the problem, which is something you might want to consider...

I can jast speak for my own experience dealing with the swedish branch....

Upvote 0
Phone insurance is quite an expense though you must admit, and people don't expect such a fault to occur on the phone within a week of getting it, and they certainly don't expect to be told to pay to have it fixed when it's a design flaw.

Who says it's a design flaw ? You're basing that on 2 people saying it's happened to them out of 25, but really we don't know the circumstances surrounding this alleged 'spontaneous' screen crack.

Also, you can pick up insurance for accidental damage for as little as

Upvote 0
Well, I guess the poll was pretty conclusive. Only two broke out of thirty five. Not bad I reckon!

to be fair there's alot of members who would tick off no but probably think the poll its pretty silly.

out of most phones released nowadays and hell in the past, theres few I can recall where cracked screens 'from doing nothing' has ever been a problem and these have normally been rectified within the second or third batch to hit stores. Given that the Desire has been out a good while now, I would say *IF* there was any known *MAJOR* issue with something like that, we would of had recall and replacement.

As with all electronics there is always a risk, especially when you buy expensive products such as this, but always remember that even if the manufacturer itself can be a pain to replace (im thinking of samsung here, only due to past experiance with a tocco) whatever retailer you buy from will cover replacements. But still point is....its uncommon as anything, so just buy the phone, don't worry bout a crack that wont happen *UNLESS* you cause it by dropping it etc...but then thats human error :D

Upvote 0
Just found this thread! Which is handy because this just happened to me.

The phone is eight months old, and has been extremely well looked after. It almost always spends the whole day on my desk, or in the centre console of the car. I'm sure it's never been dropped or hit..

I went to text the other day, picked up the phone, and noticed a small 'white' line at the bottom of the screen just above the home button.

Over about 5 minutes, I watched it grow from 3mm to about 12mm (1/2 inch) long.. Then a few more short lines appeared at the bottom.

I went to the dealer (5 days ago), and by the time I got there, the screen was fully black and not working at all.

I heard back from them Today - they are saying the phone isn't covered by warranty due to physical damage. I'm disputing their findings, because I'm certain there's nothing outside normal use that's happened to this phone.

Luckily I took photos of the phone from all angles before handing it over.. It's immaculate, not a scratch or a dent or anything on it.

Will let you know how it goes..

Cheers,
ObM..

Reactions: irvs101
Upvote 0
Hey irvs101,

Firstly, I knew I was 100% in the right, and it irked me severely when the decision was made without even entertaining the thought that there could have been a manufacturing defect or stresses in the glass.

I made it very clear that I'm happy to pursue this all the way through to it's conclusion.

I also had good quality photos showing that the phone is immaculate on the outside, no dents, scuffs, scratches, chassis twist, or chips: Reflections in the screen are perfectly straight, there's absolutely NO evidence the phone has even been mistreated.

I cited this thread, and the CNET article about the Nexus One screen cracking on it's own, to illustrate that it was reasonable to assume that it's at least a possibility that a screen could do this.

Finally, I asked them to "prove that I'd been negligent in the care of the phone" - I guess they didn't want the bother of fighting that fight..

I think it was clear to the Customer Relations guys that I wasn't trying to pull a fast one, and that all I wanted was a reasonable solution which I was happy to fight for (without being one of those assholes that makes empty threats to poor call centre workers like "I'm going to sue you")..

Just kept calm and rational and stated my case, and my suggested remedies clearly.

ObM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones