• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories HTC Desire Screen Protectors?

thomsonga

Aug 6, 2010
Firstly i'd like to say hi :) Just got my Desire and am beginning to mess around with it. Probably a shedload of questions coming your way in the next few weeks.

First question - is it worth buying a screen protector? The one's marketed by ZAGG seem pretty good.

Second Question - do any of them actually fit properly? I say this because I just bought a Case-mate case that came with a screen protector (added bonus!) but it doesn't fit properly (the top overlapped the plastic casing a little). There was absolutely no way to get it "flush" with the phone screen as it curves at the top.

My guess is they just measured the height and width of the screen and didn't think about the actual shape of the screen. As it was a bonus to the product I bought I assume this is just out of lazyness.

I used to work as a Nokia engineer, and I know what damage screen protectors that don't fit can do. Dust gets in, sticks to the protector's underside and basically acts like sandpaper on your screen causing irreversible damage :(

Hey I have the zagg screen protector and think that it fits great, there is a very small gap, about 0.5mm at the edge of the protector but you are never going to get one that fits 100% of the screen and more importantly that you will get 100% square and in the center of the screen.

I am very happy with zagg this is my 3rd phone with one and none of them have come off or got any dust underneath and I have had one on my mp3 player for about 4 years now and still going strong

Reactions: thomsonga
Upvote 0
I find the Zagg a bit sticky compared to the free Case Mate one. I have the Zagg on my Desire and a free Case mate protector on my wife's iPhone. The case mate one does feel better as if you have no protector at all, but the zagg has the benefits of self healing and so generally scratch resistant. So all up to you.

Upvote 0
always. Try to keep my Desire alone in my pocket, but the slightest slip up can have you regret it for the life of the phone. Had a pen in the same pocket and somehow managed to place a lot of pressure between the pen and screen. you could clearly see it. after about a day the imprint was gone from my Zagg protector. Zagg 1, pen 0

Reactions: LECTER
Upvote 0
always. Try to keep my Desire alone in my pocket, but the slightest slip up can have you regret it for the life of the phone. Had a pen in the same pocket and somehow managed to place a lot of pressure between the pen and screen. you could clearly see it. after about a day the imprint was gone from my Zagg protector. Zagg 1, pen 0
I plan on always carrying it in a pouch, NEVER in my pocket though.

Upvote 0
I got a perfectly competent screen protector with this Car Starter Kit from MobileFun. It does a great job and doesn't cause "finger stick" like others I have used.
I would recommend that kit - really good desire-specific car mount, USB cable that charges as if on AC, screen protector and fake leather pouch which has survived admirably in my pocket.

Looks good. I'm still looking for a car holder that will cope with the Desire being in a case though.

Upvote 0
What do you guys use to clean the screen before applying a screen protector?

A polish with a microfibre cloth still seems to leave the screen fairly greasy and mucky which I guess is a no no before putting a screen protector on.

with the zagg ones you get a cloth to clean and it comes with application fluid stuff which you can use to give it a wipe first to make sure that there is no grease on the screen

I absolutely could not fit it free from bubbles particularly around the edges and suffered

Upvote 0
I did have a cheap screen protector, but it had one speck under the screen that constantly caught my eye so I peeled it off. I have to admit the screen feels better without it and I now keep the phone is a flip case when I'm carrying it and I take it out of the case at home, etc.

I might put another protector on it, but to be honest unless you get one that is genuinely scratch resistant I don't see a lot of point, I'm pretty sure a scratch on my protector would have gone straight through to the actual screen.

My rear case is the problem though, I already have a few scratches on the lens cover :( I could do with a protector just for that bit!

Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect this old thread...but need to ask some clarifying questions.

I bought a pack of these:
5x Screen Protector Film Guard For HTC DESIRE BRAVO on eBay.ca (item 290455643721 end time 17-Aug-10 20:59:35 EDT)

Typical cheap for a pack of 5 screen protectors, and I find them completely lacking. If anything, they amplify the finger print issue, and are harder to clear finger prints off.

So I need something else.

I have the Power Support Anti Glare Film on my iPod, and they are fantastic. They reduce glare (not a biggie for me), and all but eliminate finger prints as an issue (HUGE benefit). They are only made for Apple products though.

Now, the Invisible Shield and Martin Fields protectors are rather expensive so I'd like to know more about them first.
How are they for finger print resistence?
How are the really for tranparentness?

Thanks all (great forum btw)!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones