• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC desire SMS recieved doesnt show senders name

bsabuktr

Lurker
Apr 18, 2010
My device HTC desire doesnt show SMS sender name upon recieving sms(local sms), instead showing the sender number.I am having this sender in my contact list. There is no issues while recieving international SMS, only having problem with local sms.
But when the same person calls me, its displaying the caller name correctly.
What would be the reason?
I am in QATAR where country code is +974.
I tried the following.Contacts saved with the country code(+974)
- then its showing the name when sms is recieved, but call recieving
stopped showing caller name - only number is shown.

One thing i noticed is, while recieving SMS, the sender number is preceeded by country code(+974) while recieving a call only caller number is there.
Please help.

I have just bought a HTC DESIRE and have the same problem, please help:

In summary, when I get a call or sms, and the number is already saved in my phonebook:

1. If the number is from abroad, there is no problem, it shows the saved contact name.
2. If the number is local, it only shows the name if the number was saved without the international calling code, ie if saved as 5987321xxx
3. If the number is local, it does not show the name if the number was saved with the international calling code, ie if saved as +44 5987321xxx

Please let me know if it can be solved and how.

Upvote 0
this is due to the number of digits in the phone number it seems.device needs minumum 8 digits number.Thats what i came to know from htc. the fix should come from android it seems.I tested the same with 8 digits.this is the way i did.
my device had many sms with unidentified sender name(eg:+9745432101 where +974 is the country code).
The above contact is saved as 5432101 in my device.
I just added 4 as a prefix to the contact(45432101).
Then when i checked the recieved sms(already available) from +9745432101, i found the sender name identified.
As a test case i did.In reality i cannot do this (adding of prefix 4) as it wont allow to call the contact.
So what i feel is, 7 digit is a problem.Any ways, in qatar from july 28th, mobile numbers will change to 8 digits.
please check yours mobile number digit count.I think lebenon got only 7 digits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones