• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire sound quality

Hi you all,
Pedro from Portugal here.

I was porting every stuff from my HTC TyTN to the new HTC Desire when I found this problem.
Quality of loudspeaker is much, much, much worse in this new-all-stuff-inside mobile than in old TyTN! Old TyTN was great with bass and clearness for music and voice notes (it was only bad at hands-free phoning - never understood why).

About the Hearing speaker: didn't seam very bad, or at least I didn't notest so much when phoning. Also from what remember testing didn't had problem hearing from the 3.5" jack.

Upvote 0
Loud speaker for calls is pretty shoddy
There are very few phones with good speakers because it's very hard to make a speaker sound good when it's as small as the one in the Desire. I'm not overly upset about it because I don't use the speaker for handsfree calling - headsets or other handsfree kits are much better suited for this purpose. The speaker works well enough for ringtones, so I'm happy with it.
No phone is ever perfect, why? Because HTC want you to buy the Desire's successor. They most likely made the loud speaker poor deliberately.
That makes no sense at all...there's always another successor around the corner. The Desire was their best high-end phone at launch and it's been very successful. But due to size restrictions they had to cut corners somewhere, and there are lots of phones with worse speakers than the Desire, and some that are better.

It's a phone after all, not a stereo system.
:p

Upvote 0
I never use my loudspeaker for handsfree calling and I am not really worried about its quality but if I hold the phone next to my ear and can hear occasional crackling coming from its standard speaker - that's a completely different matter. Bfksc, how is your phone? Does it suffer from the same problem?
Yes the speaker at full volume does breakup, but sounds fine for ringtones at full volume. But as you mention, I don't use it for handsfree calls either.

The earpiece volume is fine even at full volume, which is too loud for most environments. I usually keep the earpiece at 50 or 60% and only turn it up when I'm in a noisy environment. The volume increased a fair bit when I updated to generic Froyo v2.2 and it's now quite loud. I'm happy with the phone.
:D

Reactions: ackblom
Upvote 0
My last phone was a Nokia e61I, a great work horse of a phone. It has a great speaker phone. Using the speaker phone has always been important for me as it helps with conversations where there's background noise, or when I need to be hands free.

The desires speaker is either dire, or needs to be equalised. Mine crackles at high volume and sounds tinny. I really hope this is something that can be fixed by software.

I cannot believe that HTC would cut corners on such a beautiful phone. I'm also trying to get to grips with battery life, and trying to figure out why I'm getting about half a day out of it, I kid you not. But that's for another thread.

Upvote 0
Mine crackles at high volume and sounds tinny too but what annoys me most is the earpiece crackling. I am seriously thinking of sending it to HTC for repair.

I wouldn't bother. I think they're all the same.
3 Handsets + 3 Repairs, countless calls to T-Mobile, countless calls to HTC, countless calls to buymobilephones.net and three calls to Trading Standards.
Trading Standards tried but have no teeth, HTC say there is nothing wrong with the HD2 but are working an an update and have no idea when it's going to be ready, T_Mobile are denying responsibility as they're only the Network Provider (despite the fact that's who my contract is with) and buymobilephones.net won't do anything because we're past 28 days despite the fact that I've complained and mostly been without the phone since day one. Only a year and a half left now and then I can get a phone that actually works....

Upvote 0
I've just downloaded the PowerAmp application trial which has a graphic equaliser - not able to try it until i get home from work though! Anyone else tried this? It's limited to a "few weeks" trial period...I'll give it a blast later and report back!

You won't be disappointed with PowerAmp, but you might find that the 'phone loudspeaker' setting is a little too loud for the Desire speaker....

(Froyo 2.2)

Upvote 0
I know exactly what you're saying. I am now in real double-mind about whether or not to go through the exchange hassle.

I'm attaching a sound recording of what I am experiencing at full volume through the loud speakers. You can probably try to compare and see if this is just me, or just you, or everyone is experiencing the same.

i am from India. i am also experiencing the same kind of disturbing noise from my Desire :mad:. I hesitate to go to customer care. because i dont know how much HTC really care about their customers...
Anyone there who can help me in this issue...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones