• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire Speakerphone (is crap)

walkie talkie/boombox when did I slip back into the 80s

Fact of the matter is that a mobile phone back then was the size of a brick you had to carry around a huge battery and it lasted about 10 minutes. Oh and it didn't have a speaker phone,built in music player, contact list, camera or text messages even. Heck you where lucky to make a call on it. :p

Truly the youth of today would think it suck, blows or whatever new trendy word they use.

Cue someone coming on here and saying the Desire is NOT a dedicated walkie talkie. Get over it and buy a boombox.

But yeah - It's crap.

Upvote 0
walkie talkie/boombox when did I slip back into the 80s

Fact of the matter is that a mobile phone back then was the size of a brick you had to carry around a huge battery and it lasted about 10 minutes. Oh and it didn't have a speaker phone,built in music player, contact list, camera or text messages even. Heck you where lucky to make a call on it. :p

Truly the youth of today would think it suck, blows or whatever new trendy word they use.

Apologies for my throwbacks.
But HTC know how to make a decent speaker. The Touch Pro 2 was a little thick but that was due to the slide out qwerty. Yet it had a button dedicated to conference calls.
The days are gone where manufacturers can use a slim form factor as an excuse for poor speakers.

Upvote 0

I think the speaker's ability to both suck and blow is quite an achievement.

You do need to consider if you really want to hear the truly awful voice in Nav any more clearly than we can now, it could make ears bleed it is that nasty.

Upvote 0
Yeah the speaker sucks, but I mean it could be worse. I actually find that it's great for ringtones because they really cut through noisy environments, although when you're at home and it's quiet they can be pretty piercing.

Thing is though, I don't know about you but the speaker is one of those things where quality doesn't really matter too much. Unless you're some annoying youth that wants to sit at the back of various modes of public transport all day long 'blasting' music out of your phone then sure, the louder and bassier the better. But for the odd speaker phone call or sat nav use it does the job of getting the sound to your ears alright. To me, it's not a deciding factor in whether or not to purchase a phone. The speaker is there for when you need it and it's not like it's doing anything drastically horrible like trying to sleep with your wife or piss on your kids on chirstmas morning.

However, having said that you may use your phone very differently to me, so a good quality speaker may indeed be a deciding factor. I guess you just have to weigh up the pros and cons of having a Desire.

Upvote 0
Yep its rubbish and surely theres no excuse for not putting a decent speaker in there. Surely it wouldnt cost much?

Listening to sat nav or using the speaker phone when driving is a poor experience.

Just wish out of all the reviews I looked at before buying one of them would have rated the speaker.

Upvote 0
Yep its rubbish and surely theres no excuse for not putting a decent speaker in there. Surely it wouldnt cost much?

Listening to sat nav or using the speaker phone when driving is a poor experience.

Just wish out of all the reviews I looked at before buying one of them would have rated the speaker.

Now that you mention it, none of the phone reviews I have read talk about the speaker phone abilities. Maybe they assume you will use bluetooth in this day and age. Certainly a large assumption, and Im not sure if just a headset will give you Nav. I have a stereo headset so I can't test it.

Upvote 0
Indeed, compared to other phones, this speaker is terrible. It's really quiet. Although I have found that some apps do pump out a large amount of sound compared to the regular music apps or even the phones speakerphone!

Try downloading the LBC radio app and notice how loud it is!!

I think that the other apps have been crippled by having their volume capped in some way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones