1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips HTC Desire Tips & Tricks [READ ME]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lekky, Apr 4, 2010.

1. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Hate to think what the phone mistook for your finger. :eek:

Advertisement

2. pini

pini Newbie
    None

May 13, 2010
    This is usefull for all Androids.

If you're looking for apps on a computer rather than on your phone, use a website called www.androlib.com. Easy to search for loads of apps and all that I have seen have the barcode, so can scan with barcode scanner rather than having to find them using your mobile internet.

btw,is there any way to stop the phone locking while calls are active. I hate having to turn the lock off to end the call if I want to hang up first.

3. Fish-Bone

Fish-Bone Member
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Student Brand Manager
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Maybe some of you have heard of it, maybe others haven't... But this app is a total killer to ANY other turn-by-turn navigation, that can run on Android powered phones. Ive tried Google navigation, and its a disaster. Also tried some other free stuff, but all the maps are online. This can get VERY expensive when going abroad.

We have been using this navigation on HTC Legend phones, but as Desire is the 'big brother' of Legend, everything should work just fine (hope so). Here you can find all the needed info about iGo My Way navigation for Android - http://androidforums.com/htc-legend/85949-igo-my-way-navigation-android.html

As there seams to be screen size problems with Desire, please read the whole post top-to-bottom and only then get into action :)

suli likes this.
  4. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Sorry if this makes me sound like a complete numpty; but I only realised this a couple of days ago:

Scenes! Once you've configured your 7 available screens with all the bits you want, go go Menu - Scenes and save it with a unique name, then load up one of the HTC templates and play around with them and save that as a whole new scene.

I now have a standard one, a social one and a travel one.

It's worth starting with the clean slate too as you're more likely to come up with a scene truly unique :)

incsmiro, buggiejack and Tonco like this.
  5. mthuen

mthuen Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks for a really nice guide.. I was wondering if it would be possible to get the stock nexus one unlock screen onto my HTC desire in the same way as with the gallery and launcher?

6. lekky

lekky Lover
    None

you can by using an app called lockbot, available from the market.

7. jeannette37

jeannette37 Lurker
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    this is my first droid and i think its amazing think the only thing i have found is that i cant see the screen in sunlight,could anyone tell me is there anyway when i recieve a sms (txt) i can get the screen to light up thanks

8. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    This afternoon I shall be picking up my HTC Desire from the post office, and will probably spend most of the night migrating away from my Samsung Galaxy.

For the Galaxy, there's a custom recovery boot option that allows one to make a complete system backup (system settings, apps, app settings, text messages, home screen layout -- everything), and I've been using this diligently when trying out new firmware versions.

Does something similar exist for HTC? That is, does the Sense backup app perform a full system backup, or just some/most of it (say, apps without settings, or no text messages)?

The reason I'm asking is that step 1 of the rooting guide suggests making a backup, and suggests 3rd-party (ie. non-HTC) apps for the job. Is this out of preference or necessity? Would it not be possible to start off by making an HTC backup and moving that off-site (to a pc), or is that not an option right away?

9. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Google voice search is officially available on Market for the Desire now. I also installed Gesture Search which I think is amazing, i've actually removed the people app from my desktop and use this instead now, much quicker.

10. cokebotle

cokebotle Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    Is there any trick to disabling the Messages app when you have Handcent SMS installed? Or do they both run concurrent?

11. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    I went to the original messaging app and turned off the Receive Notification. That way, I only get Handcent's notification and not the double one.

Tim

Eris Ed likes this.
  12. ianm2k4

ianm2k4 Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    I cant find Google Earth on the Market (Branded Orange). Can someone post the barcode for it as I believe that it will allow me to download it. It worked for mPlayer which I also cannot find on the Market.

Thanks

13. rtb35

rtb35 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

14. ianm2k4

ianm2k4 Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2010
  15. diS

diS Android Enthusiast
    None

May 24, 2010
    Student
    Belgium
    I don't know if it has any use but i found out that when you start up your phone and you press the volume buttons you get in somekind of boot screen.

16. rtb35

rtb35 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    I installed gesture search today and it is brilliant,you can find any contact,app or bookmark instantly,cheers m8 for that tip ;)

keblawben likes this.
  17. ianm2k4

ianm2k4 Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    whats Google Gesture... I cant find it on the market?

18. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
  19. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Is there anyway to ensure that when I open the Internet app, it goes to my home page? Currently it always goes to the page I last viewed.

Any thoughts?

20. milessio

milessio Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi, i'm from italy, maybe i haven't understood well but the when i use the search key to call a name, always starts the internet browser. I have also deselected all the searchable items except my phone list, but nothing...

21. mikebell

mikebell Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Villa Straylight
    Menu | More | Settings | Set home page

Needles to say, your home page is only invoked when you open the browser *after* it's closed. If the browser is still active and you hop to the Desire's home screen and then back to the browser, it's still open and won't try to load a new page.

22. Hamann85

Hamann85 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Hello everyone, I'm also a newbie in android os. I have some questions:
    1.About the new os 2.2 , how is that system going to be installed on the phone, is it a complicated process just like rooting the phone? or it will be easy from the menu Settings > About phone > System software updates?
    2.How do I select more photos and upload them on flickr?not just one by one...is there a tip in the menu of the phone or if you know a good application for this kind of operation.
    Thank you.

23. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Might be worth pointing out that WaveSecure is ONLY a 7 day trial. $19.99 p/a for a full license.

However after testing it, via finding my phones location, I'll DEFINATLY be purchasing a license. Looks an awesome piece of kit.

Andy

24. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    I'm pretty new myself, but from what i understand FroYo will be an update that you download to the phone. I'm sure that someone will give you better advice if I am wrong.

Andy

25. lekky

lekky Lover
    None

It only works if your contacts are google type contacts

Correct, it will come to your phone over the air.

Tags: