• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire UAE users

Guys, If you bought asian branded phone, rather specifically an original HTC from a registered retailer anywhere in middle east (coz a phone picked from any black market might NOT be asian branded), you will have complete arabic support, wether or not its updated with froyo. (complete means, you not only can read proper joined arabic letters, but also use arabic as the main language in your phone, for all purposes)
If your phone is branded elsewhere, it doesnt support arabic, even with froyo update.
I've just read somewhere that another update down the lane on android, support for few other languages is worked at thoroughly. But its just a rumour, no confirmed news on that one. Another thing remains unconfirmed that, is arabic among those 'worked at' languages or not.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Those of you, who have battery problems with desire, even after installing apps like batterylife, juicedefender etc, might want to get a larger battery. (last option though)

check the following link:

[HLI-DesireXL] Buy Mugen Power Extended Battery for HTC Desire A8181 with battery cover in Brown 3200mAh

Another solution is there too ... get a battery cube :)
here's the link:

http://www.phonesuit.com/products/P...s-37-10.html?gclid=CMaHkub88KMCFUhB6wodNCF43Q

cheers

P.S: I just came across these sites, I don't take any responsibility whatsoever if these sites are not trustworthy to buy from. I never tried them :p

Upvote 0
I tried to root my HTC Desire (bootloader 0.83) and messed it up. I didnt back up my ROM and now am stuck trying to find the original ROM (RUU) for the middle east.

Does anyone have a backup or the RUU for the middle east. If yes, could you please share it with me?

Am starting to get desperate...

Thanks, Lebnen

Upvote 0
I tried to root my HTC Desire (bootloader 0.83) and messed it up. I didnt back up my ROM and now am stuck trying to find the original ROM (RUU) for the middle east.

Does anyone have a backup or the RUU for the middle east. If yes, could you please share it with me?

Am starting to get desperate...

Thanks, Lebnen

Have a look here

HTC Desire - xda-developers

Good luck

Upvote 0
Hmm the desire i bought from Online mobile phone store uae,dubai,qatar,kuwait,bahrin,oman is without arabic,PLS HELP ME ,, HOW CAN I INSERT ARABIC MENU ?

Hi,

First question is which version of Android does the phone have? Is it 2.1, or did the shop upgrade it to 2.2? 2.2 is better.

Secondly, I think you could change the rom to the Arabic version, but I'm not sure how you do this. Have a search HTC Desire - xda-developers here for an Arabic rom.

Others will reply too, I'm sure.

Upvote 0
I reside in Bahrain. Yet to get a "Froyo" update on my Desire which was purchased last evening.

I am not sure about "HTC Warranty". I've been told that my unit is covered by the dealer's warranty (hardware incl.)

I am looking for an English (US/UK) keyboard - the phone comes with five/six versions of Arabic (Kuwait/Bahrain/Qatar/Lebanon/can't quite remember the rest) and English (same list).

I've been waiting to buy this baby for a long while now. Every store (Sharaf DG, Carrefour, et al) do not have stock! Guess I was lucky to grab this one. The dealer had one piece remaining... Talk about demand/supply.

So... Back to my reason to ponder - Froyo. :/

Upvote 0
Have a PDAIR Leather case for the HTC Desire in Deep red, with a crocodile skin look. This is a book-type open phone that is a great protector for the phone.

Brand new - never used.

Single unit only - not a reseller, but a Desire owner who got one case too many.

Selling at less than market price - AED 100 only.

Contact me with your details if interested.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 34
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 34
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
Nopes. Nothing specific to the UAE.
But you can use google maps which gives buses between routes and their timings, and people use Layar so you can find information on that.

Hi
I have been trying to use google maps/ navigation on my htc desire.

I have a valid data connection bundle on my Du SIM. I have turned on GPS and mobile internet...still I get the message "no route found" once I try to get driving instructions from Sharjah to al Ain.
On the Navigation App, it just keeps searching for "availability" and then goes off.
Any tips?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I just bought an HTC Desire HD here in Dubai.. was wondering if any one knew where i could buy cases / covers for the phone??

I have placed an order online with Pdair but I would like to know if there are any shops here in Dubai selling the covers.

I have looked everywhere but no luck so far... would appreciate any suggestions..

By the way the Desire HD rocks..

Upvote 0
Hello,

I go to UAE soon. I'll have a HTC Desire there with Etisalat.
They have explain me that location (for example for google maps application) only works with GPS.
Something like location using gsm towers or wifi doesn't work. Is that true?
I thought that gsm towers could be available at least.
Has anybody tested location using gsm and/or wifi?
I need your help because it will be my first time in UAE and I was planning to use it. :thinking:

Thank you

Upvote 0
Hello,

I go to UAE soon. I'll have a HTC Desire there with Etisalat.
They have explain me that location (for example for google maps application) only works with GPS.
Something like location using gsm towers or wifi doesn't work. Is that true?
I thought that gsm towers could be available at least.
Has anybody tested location using gsm and/or wifi?
I need your help because it will be my first time in UAE and I was planning to use it. :thinking:

Thank you

Hi Sergio

The wifi/ gsm towers in the UAE can be used to trace your location if you are using google maps on the htc desire - however, this is not as accurate as it could be if you used BOTH the GSM and the GPS which is unbuilt into the Desire. So all you have to do is to switch on both to get an accurate positioning. However, if you are using the GSM network, make sure you have a data plan from the operator, or else you will be paying through your teeth. In that sense, DU, the other operator apart from Etisalat, has better packages on offer.

Hope this helps

Reactions: SergioR
Upvote 0
Hi Sergio

The wifi/ gsm towers in the UAE can be used to trace your location if you are using google maps on the htc desire - however, this is not as accurate as it could be if you used BOTH the GSM and the GPS which is unbuilt into the Desire. So all you have to do is to switch on both to get an accurate positioning. However, if you are using the GSM network, make sure you have a data plan from the operator, or else you will be paying through your teeth. In that sense, DU, the other operator apart from Etisalat, has better packages on offer.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the information. Of course using both systems you get an better position. But in a lot of cases when you are indoor or even in a city GPS location can be difficult (or at least slow) to achieve.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones