1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Desire : Upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mvh, Jan 12, 2011.

1. mvh

mvh Well-Known Member

Mark Moons from HTC Europe sent out this tweet earlier today:

"We maken binnenkort bekend welke devices in aanmerking komen voor een Gingerbread upgrade"

Translation: We'll soon announce wich devices will get a Gingerbread update.

Let's hope the original Desire will be one of them.

Source: @markmoons on twitter

robogo, pf4awg and amir88 like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

So you just might get some of the features rooted phones have been enjoying for months.

3. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

Nice to have an RUU for 2.3 though ;)

Never know, might be good

4. julianb

julianb Newbie

Man, I hope we can finally enjoy fully GPU accelerated UI. It's the one thing that bugs me about my Desire.

wrigglesworth likes this.
  5. DesireMe

DesireMe Android Expert

So what are the rumoured/known changes? Hope they're better than 2.2

6. androidguy22

androidguy22 Member

If this reaches us folks with the Desire, it's still subject to your specific carrier offering the update, correct?

7. rtb35

rtb35 Android Enthusiast

Yes that is correct,that is why i debranded my phone.

8. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

Unless an RUU comes out you may not be able to get it if the last OTA is anything to go by

9. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

True there.

10. mvh

mvh Well-Known Member

I have an unbranded Desire and have no problems with the latest updates. lets hope other providers push the update to their customers as well. At least it's some good news for those with an unbranded desire.

11. geemacd

geemacd Well-Known Member

I'm unbranded too, can someone tell me what 2.3 actually gives, I haven't seen a definitive list

12. mvh

mvh Well-Known Member

13. papa j

papa j Well-Known Member

lol here we go again when will we get it will it have this or that lol
    good times ...

14. williamj1

williamj1 Android Enthusiast

I reckon they will surely support our desire... and will introduce the new sense in a combined sense 2 + gingerbread update :) This may well make me ditch Miui and come back to sense.

15. SUroot

UNbranded or DEbranded?

I haven't seen any evidence of a DEbranded handset successfully receiving the 2.29.405.5 OTA update using a goldcard. Only with an RUU has it been possible.

16. mvh

mvh Well-Known Member

Unbranded.

17. SUroot

Ah ok. The problems aren't affecting those handsets.

18. Jasestyle

Jasestyle Lurker

Hi, I'm getting a new phone after my contract expires. And I want a HTC phone, I've been tied down between the Desire HD, Desire, Wildfire or one of the Windows phones. The Desire is very popular in the UK so I was wondering whether HTC are annoncing a 2.3 upgrade for it? I know for a fact that the Desire HD will be getting an upgrade, but I'm not certain about it. I had a play with it and it's rather large, the Wildfire is too small and WP7 is still a young OS.

Anynews would be appreciated. Thanks.

19. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Desire HD is too big for me and the Wildfire just doesn't cut it.

Will never buy a "Windoze" phone, ever.

As for 2.3, we will have to wait and see. ;)

HTC desired likes this.
  20. williamj1

They said a while ago gingerbread versions of sense roms should begin to appear q1 2011 so anytime now!

21. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Well one has appeared: see Rastaman's thread on the Desire 2 prototype that's arrived at his office.

When it might officially come to the Desire I don't know. Of course, I'm running Gingerbread already, but that's not Sense, nor official. ;)

Edit: A semi-serious point: you don't say when your contract expires. Generally you should be wary of waiting for the next thing to come out, because there's always something else in the pipeline by then and you can wait forever. But if what looks very much like the Desire's successor is being trialled now, it might be worth waiting a little rather than upgrading the moment your contract expires.

22. williamj1

It is worth upgrading in order to get what you feel you need. If you are happy at the moment and can't think of anything you want more in a phone, there is no point upgrading. As the above says, often it is more worthwhile skipping a generation of phones, to get a more refined product. Also bear in mind, although they might announce this desire 2 next week, it might not be out for months.

23. Dibs

Dibs Well-Known Member

Would love to see the 2.3 on my Desire, for those who have it though - is it worth the wait?

SUroot likes this.
  24. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Well, from the user's point of view it's more a number of small touches than big, obvious new features. The look and feel are tweaked a bit, more black in the theme (very amoled-friendly), and some of the menus give a little more info, e.g. storage statistics at the bottom of the manage applications screen, or the nice battery history graph in about phone -> battery. Also the signal bars change colour when you have a google login active. And of course there's the infamous screen-off animation (old CRT TV shutdown :)).

I think there are a number of changes under the hood. I have the impression that process/memory management have been tweaked. Can't say whether the standard apps -> SD has been tuned in any way, as I use the root version.

Bottom line: it's evolution not revolution, and people looking for a big, flashy change will be disappointed. The refinements are all to the good, but there's no need to feel dissatisfied while waiting.

25. czechplastik

czechplastik Android Enthusiast

This. I'm rocking vanilla 2.3 and while there is nothing major it is...better.

I think the biggest changes Desire users would notice would be in the upgraded Sense overlay.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews