• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire : Upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3

Way to go HTC for a phone I've only had for 12 months.[/FONT]

not trying to start anything....but HTC are in the business to make money...and to push a new update onto a phone over a year old isn't something they HAVE to do...

besides...you said it yourself...you've had it 12 months, which in their 'business eyes' means you should move to the new model and scrap the old one.

Upvote 0
I also contacted HTC and got this response:

The update is going to be released to your device. I do not have any confirmed date of when you will have it. If your phone is branded, it can depend on your operator. Otherwise are we planning to release it to everyone that should have it before the end of the second quarter.

Thank you for contacting HTC.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number [redacted].

Sincerely,
Emelie
HTC
So it looks like end of the month latest which iirc is what they had said for a while now...

Upvote 0
Anyone concerned about the gingerbread update should check out thread 255895 as a few of us have emailed HTC today in the wake of MrCheese's posts and we've all had the same response - that it's coming by the end of the month...

What makes that response, which is quite generic, mean more than the other, which is actually had a bit more thought?

Upvote 0
What makes that response, which is quite generic, mean more than the other, which is actually had a bit more thought?

I figured that with several reps giving the same response (and not template one at that) it had more sway than a single one. If more people reported the same as MrCheese then I'd have started to believe it more but seeing as so far all we've seen is responses stating the opposite, I'm gonna keep my hopes up for the update being here as they stated.

Upvote 0
if I had any decent computer sense, I'd root. I've looked at all the noob guides to rooting and for the most part, I still have no clue what anyone is talking about:eek:

me too, i wish i knew someone personally who had done it- who could help me

For both of you it isn't hard to root. Will help if you both PM me at least.

As for this topic. HTC will take a bloody age to get an update out to Desire. It's what happens when one of the most popular phones isn't so popular anymore with the manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Looks like it will be getting GB but its all a bit of a mess

to be fair....whether the desire does or doesn't get the update or not....the people crying on sites like Cnet make me chuckle like anything...

the typical ones who EXPECT an update on a phone that is in business sense, past its life cycle, regardless of it still being a VERY popular phone..

and alot of the comments in places are like "I HATE HTC and will NEVER buy htc again, ever..they are sh*t not giving me GB" /end crying :D

NOTE: just to explain...im not saying that bout everyone who wants the update, just those who get quite emotional and fanboy'ish with it all lol

Upvote 0
Considering many people got the Desire on either 18,24 or 36month contracts, its rather unethical for a phone to have a life cycle of just 12 months.

Oh for crying out loud, stop bleating.

Who says it has a lifecycle of 12 months?
Has yours suddenly stopped working with the advent of 2.3? - No
Did HTC say "we promise that we will release every future OS upgrade to the Desire for at least the next two years" - No
Are you free to root if you really want it that bad? Yes

Face it, phones change fast. Accept the fact that any phone will be out of date in a year. I'm happy to have a 24 month contract, but no way would I accept a 36 month one.

People around here are acting like a bunch of spoilt kids.
[/RANT]

Also, it quite makes me chuckle to see everyone saying they will switch to the SGS2. Now I might be remembering this wrong, but I'm sure I recall a huge wave of people getting very upset indeed when Samsung delayed releasing FroYo for the SGS, and I was being smug as I had it on my Desire...

Upvote 0
Considering many people got the Desire on either 18,24 or 36month contracts, its rather unethical for a phone to have a life cycle of just 12 months.
But the long contracts are down to the operators' business models, not HTCs, and depend on what country you are in. Not all markets HTC sells to are the same.

Not defending, just noting.

TBH I assumed before buying that 1 year would be about the limit for official software updates, with anything more than that a bonus, just based on observations of how these things go. Apple do 2 years, though usually with some features not being available on older models. None of my previous phones ever had a single software update.

Upvote 0
Accept the fact that we have no divine right for updates. What makes this different is that HTC themselves said many months ago that it would get it, and this would have influenced many peoples buying decisions. I can imagine the guy in the shop saying of course it is getting the upgrade...

Good to see they are honouring their word, and it is now a question of timing, what is it going to have and what will the carriers do with it.

Upvote 0
and this would have influenced many peoples buying decisions. I can imagine the guy in the shop saying of course it is getting the upgrade...

bit of a silly reason for some people to buy a phone just because of future upgrades...

im not saying all do it for that but for the some who do, they REALLY should stick to feature phones not smart phones..

NOTE: oh and for those who are interested...heres a lil more new info..

HTC Desire to squeeze in Gingerbread at expense of apps | Crave | CNET UK

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones