• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Video Out of Sync Issue

I find it to be hit and miss. 10 videos, all "backed up" from the same couple of DVDs and encoded at the same time on the same computer.. some will play without issue and then some will have terrible sync issues.

It's nothing compared to my Blackberry though where I'd have to stop and start the video every couple of minutes as the sync got so bad!

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue too D:
I'm going to ring them too.

I also have the issue of videos I have put onto the hard drive only playing sound and no image .... anyone else had this issue? (The videos are all Mpeg4)

Ta

At least you have it playing something, I know I'm doing it wrong but annoying all the same!

Upvote 0
I'm having the same sync issues on the HTC Incredible, could some sort of similarity between these two devices be at the root of the issue?

encoded mp4 video as well as youtube are all out of sync.

Call HTC and let them know that the Incredible has the same issues as the Desire and the HD2.

They will say its not been a reported problem but until more people let them know they will possible ignore it.

I am calling them again this Thurs-Friday to get updates and will continue to do so every week till they give me an answer or fix.

Upvote 0
Don't know if I can help, but I was having this issue. So I did a factory reset and the videos are all in sync again. I've put all I had before back on (ie settings and apps) except for the 'app killer'. Now I don't know if that using that to force shutdowns of programs actually made the videos out of sync or not but it has been fine for over a week since I did this. Hope this will help somebody.

Upvote 0
Don't know if I can help, but I was having this issue. So I did a factory reset and the videos are all in sync again. I've put all I had before back on (ie settings and apps) except for the 'app killer'. Now I don't know if that using that to force shutdowns of programs actually made the videos out of sync or not but it has been fine for over a week since I did this. Hope this will help somebody.

Not sure that will solve all the problems. I haven't installed an app killer since purchase and still suffer the problem

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. Very slightly out of sync. Enough to be annoying. Also the audio on any videos i record is terrible. Anyone having this issue? I emailed HTC and got the folowing reply..

Dear Customer Thank you for contacting HTC If you experiencing youtube audio out of sync its due to a slow internet access time and higher buffering requirement for the video, a faster internet access can resolve this problem. The camera mic will record most sound in a normal environment, but other ambiant sound will affect recording such as for example wind. Best Regards, HTC customer support team HTC Corp. Global Service Division HTC ? Support ? Customer Service ? Support via Hotline

I'm using an 8mb internet connection and recording videos indoors.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. Very slightly out of sync. Enough to be annoying. Also the audio on any videos i record is terrible. Anyone having this issue? I emailed HTC and got the folowing reply..

Dear Customer Thank you for contacting HTC If you experiencing youtube audio out of sync its due to a slow internet access time and higher buffering requirement for the video, a faster internet access can resolve this problem. The camera mic will record most sound in a normal environment, but other ambiant sound will affect recording such as for example wind. Best Regards, HTC customer support team HTC Corp. Global Service Division HTC ? Support ? Customer Service ? Support via Hotline

I'm using an 8mb internet connection and recording videos indoors.

Heh - I got a totally different response. The email I sent said
Hi. I've just bought a Desire and am very satisfied with the product bar one issue. When watching videos - even ones on the included YouTube application, in the majority of the cases the audio is badly out of sync with the video. I've checked the videos on my PC and there is no issue there so it is undoubtedly the phone. Is there a workaround or fix for this issue?

The response back...
Thanks for contacting HTC This is an issue we are aware of and looking into. Keep an eye on our website and we will release an update to fix this.

So it seems as though some parts of the CS team acknowledge the issue and need for a fix.

Reactions: Irishdaz
Upvote 0
Just wondering if the people at HTC actually talk to each other, this is the reply i got ;

New ResponseDear Rox, Thank you for contacting us. In regards to video and voice being out of sync, I can help you with that. please check that the supported formats of the videos you are downloading are the correct ones I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. Repeat this operation again and when ripping the video that you download, please turn down the quality levels Thank you for contacting HTC. Kind regards, Carolina L HTC

Upvote 0
I emailed HTC basically saying I was interested in buying a Desire but would not purchase one until the video/audio sync issues were resolved. I referred them to this very thread. Here is the response I recieved

"Dear Mr Heath, Thank you for contacting us. In answer to your query regarding the synchronisation latency between audio and video tracks when watching videos, this issue is usually a result of the encoding process used when the file was created, and the subsequent processing time required by the Desire to present this video. We are investigating the possibility of streamlining this process in future software updates, however in the interim it is recommended that, if possible, you convert your video files to less processor-demanding codecs. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards, T***** F HTC"

My name is not Mr Heath. I don't know where they plucked that name out of. They used my correct name earlier in the email but now I am Mr. Heath. Having read quite a bit about this issue on this thread and other threads and forums I know it is not an encoding issue. I can't really get back onto HTC as I don't have a handset but I don't think I will be buying one yet based on this. Its such a shame because it looks to be the best phone out there bar this one flaw. Unfortunately it is going to get a little more expensive to buy one too because Apple are being nasty again (Ref. Technology News: Tech Buzz: HP's Deal of the Century, Android's Short Life ). Bah!

Upvote 0
I emailed HTC basically saying I was interested in buying a Desire but would not purchase one until the video/audio sync issues were resolved. I referred them to this very thread. Here is the response I recieved

"Dear Mr Heath, Thank you for contacting us. In answer to your query regarding the synchronisation latency between audio and video tracks when watching videos, this issue is usually a result of the encoding process used when the file was created, and the subsequent processing time required by the Desire to present this video. We are investigating the possibility of streamlining this process in future software updates, however in the interim it is recommended that, if possible, you convert your video files to less processor-demanding codecs. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards, T***** F HTC"

My name is not Mr Heath. I don't know where they plucked that name out of. They used my correct name earlier in the email but now I am Mr. Heath. Having read quite a bit about this issue on this thread and other threads and forums I know it is not an encoding issue. I can't really get back onto HTC as I don't have a handset but I don't think I will be buying one yet based on this. Its such a shame because it looks to be the best phone out there bar this one flaw. Unfortunately it is going to get a little more expensive to buy one too because Apple are being nasty again (Ref. Technology News: Tech Buzz: HP's Deal of the Century, Android's Short Life ). Bah!

Ha ha that's odd as my surname is Heath and I sent them an email this week about the problem but they didn't reply to me. They must have sent my reply to you!!

Upvote 0
Lol! Well you got your response eventually Mr. Heath. Lol! You know I was sure there would be a Mr. Heath on here! It'd drive you mad though, wouldn't it? I mean why can't they publicly acknowledge that lots of people are having this problem and work on a fix for it rather than giving the 'encoding' response. Grrr... I would love to see them in a position to make apple crumble....*groan*... but this needs to be sorted out!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones