• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire will not start

Baldi

Lurker
Jul 23, 2011
Hi all,

I have an HTC Desire bought in July 2010. I did not use it for the last six months. Tried using it yesterday after charging and the phone will not boot, when I press power, it vibrates once and then after a couple of seconds another 5 or 6 times, and then is stuck in the boot with a small circle indicator. I tried to reset to factory default by the volume down + power button method many times, with and without SIM and SD cards, no luck. The phone is not rooted.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I have an HTC Desire bought in July 2010. I did not use it for the last six months. Tried using it yesterday after charging and the phone will not boot, when I press power, it vibrates once and then after a couple of seconds another 5 or 6 times, and then is stuck in the boot with a small circle indicator. I tried to reset to factory default by the volume down + power button method many times, with and without SIM and SD cards, no luck. The phone is not rooted.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Well you can either send it back to HTC or run an RUU (Rom upgrade utility)

Did your desire have network branding on it? What network?

Reactions: Baldi
Upvote 0
Well you can either send it back to HTC or run an RUU (Rom upgrade utility)

Did your desire have network branding on it? What network?

Thanks for the reply, I bought it unlocked but I seem to remember that perhaps it was T Mobile. I may be wrong though (lame, I know, but memory fails me in this case)...

I thought I had to be able to boot the phone to be able to connect it to the laptop and upgrade ROM?If I were to try a ROM upgrade, what are the steps and will it cause any further damage?

Upvote 0
The most important thing is to know what type you have (GSM or CDMA, ie do you have a SIM card?) and whether it had network software or not? What country you got it from can matter.

With that we can find the right one for you. Then it's easy: the RUU is a Windows program, so you download to a PC, boot the phone while pressing the back key (to get into fastboot mode), connect via usb and run the RUU on the pc.

Upvote 0
The most important thing is to know what type you have (GSM or CDMA, ie do you have a SIM card?) and whether it had network software or not? What country you got it from can matter.

With that we can find the right one for you. Then it's easy: the RUU is a Windows program, so you download to a PC, boot the phone while pressing the back key (to get into fastboot mode), connect via usb and run the RUU on the pc.

Thanks for your response. My phone is using GSM in Australia, I don't know about the network software, do you mean inside my phone or inside my PC ?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Hi everyone
today after a automatic update (from HTC I guess) my desire will no longer start. It comes white the white screen and HTC. That's it. Nothing else, no action on what button ever.
Battery out, wait and in again: no change.
Tried a reset - no change.
Tried several RUU's. Keep getting message that it's the wrong one.

So: how do I determent the one and only wordking RUU? (what is the best place to download them?)
What parameters do I use and were do I get them?

Last RUU I used was:
RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_121865

Living in the Netherlands and my Desire is simlock free.

PLS help me out on this.

Jan

Upvote 0
Hi jandeechte, and welcome to AF.

I'd usually expect a factory reset to solve problems after an update (from the recovery menu - black screen, red triangle?). But if not, the place for RUUs is shipped-ROMs. If the phone was unlocked all along, try a recent World Wide English RUU such as RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe.

If that doesn't work, the HTC 2.3 update should work on a wide range of handsets. Unzip that package and you'll find the RUU inside.

The one you tried is really, really old, and if you have an LCD screen rather than AMOLED it would have been incompatible with the screen drivers had it worked.

Good luck!

Reactions: jandeechte
Upvote 0
He Hadron :santaclaus:
your tip worked out fine.
Used the RUU you recomended and got the phone working again. Then I checked for updates and there was one.
Installed it and now...... tatatatata it's working like it should.
Were would I be without you!
Thank you very much.
Hope you can help other users as good (and FAST) as you helped me. :congrats:

Maby hear from you again. For now: :hello:

Jan de E

PS
I didn't use it, but the HTC 2.3 update -link does not work. Maby other owners in need do like to use it!

Hi jandeechte, and welcome to AF.

I'd usually expect a factory reset to solve problems after an update (from the recovery menu - black screen, red triangle?). But if not, the place for RUUs is shipped-ROMs. If the phone was unlocked all along, try a recent World Wide English RUU such as RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe.

If that doesn't work, the HTC 2.3 update should work on a wide range of handsets. Unzip that package and you'll find the RUU inside.

The one you tried is really, really old, and if you have an LCD screen rather than AMOLED it would have been incompatible with the screen drivers had it worked.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones