• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire with AT&T, USA

s919rider

Aug 7, 2010
I am considering buying an unlocked international HTC Desire from Amazon.

I plan to use my AT&T sim card, here in California.

Here are the specs of the device as listed on Amazon.

Quad-Band Unlocked GSM cell phone compatible with 850/900/1800/1900 GSM and 900/2100 3G frequencies plus GPRS/EDGE capabilities

Does anyone know if this device will be able to access the AT&T 3G network here in the United States?

Thank you.

wasn't there a US release of the desire in the works?
canadian cell provider Telus is selling a version of the HTC Desire that has the 850/1900 3G bands that are compatible with at&t. they're about $500/US if you can get it from Canada. i'm sure they'll start showing up on ebay soon priced about $700. i have the Telstra (Australian) HTC Desire (A8183) which has the 850 3G band that works very well with at&t. the downside is if i'm in an area that uses 1900 for 3G, i'm stuck on EDGE. in the last 3 months, i've traveled to NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Houston, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Chicago and have yet to be in an area where 3G/850 hasn't worked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones