• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire with SLCD screen?

Elwood42

Jul 20, 2010
I'm getting a Desire soon, and I've heard they now make them with a SLCD screen over LED. I've looked at reviews of both, and it's hard to tell which is better. SLCD is sharper, but sharper can look grainy, it's less vibrant than the LED, etc.

Ideally I'm looking for opinions from people who own the SLCD version of the Desire. Is it worse/better? I've heard the SLCD version has an even worse battery life, that cant be true, can it?

I'll be honest, finding out they changed the screen, and that the SLCD might be worse has started putting me off getting the Desire. :(

My main concern is the battery usage, I've read the Desire only lasts a day at most with an AMOLED screen.

How long is the Desire going to last with the SLCD, when it is already reported to have 30% less battery efficiency? I'l be lucky to get a days use out of the phone, and that's depressing.

Upvote 0
My main concern is the battery usage, I've read the Desire only lasts a day at most with an AMOLED screen. How long is the Desire going to last with the SLCD, when it is already reported to have 30% less battery efficiency?
The claims for 30% better battery with AMOLED was compared to an older LCD display. The newer SLCD is more efficient and compares to the AMOLED. Image quality is excellent and does not show any graininess - it's comparable to the iPhone 4 with similar image quality. Yes it's slightly less vibrant, but that's only because the AMOLED is over saturated with too much colour. The SLCD is more colour accurate.
I'l be lucky to get a days use out of the phone, and that's depressing.
Have you ever owned an iPhone? Battery life is about the same in my experience. I normally charge the phone once a day before going to bed, and when I wake it's at 97% and then I take it to work, use it, and by the next evening I still have 50% battery. Typically you can expect to get about 4 hours of continuous usage with the screen on before the battery dies. The screen is often the biggest battery drain with any smartphone, so as long as you're not constantly using the phone, it'll be fine for a days' use.

I'm very happy with the Desire's SLCD display. I've compared it side by side to other AMOLED and Super AMOLED displays and have not been disappointed.
:D

Upvote 0
I'll be honest, the average user probably won't notice. I personally have an SLCD, and haven't done a side-by-side, but the general consensus is that you're not really likely to notice.

AMOLED: better blacks, and more saturated in colour, somewhat useless in sunlight
SLCD: poor blacks, more honest colours, easier to see in sunlight

Wouldn't worry much about battery life, battery life on any smartphone is not likely to exceed a day if you use it moderately.

Upvote 0
I was a bit disappointed when I found my new Desire was slcd instead of amoled - you can find out by looking at the back of the box. If it says "3.7 inch touch-sensitive screen" then it is an slcd.

Due to me disappointment I looked and found an excellent article on the web comparing the technologies and giving the pros and cons.

Spot the difference: HTC Desire's SLCD versus AMOLED -- Engadget

The article was reassuring, and I'm very happy with the performance of my SLCD screen. Please don't let it put you off buying one.

As others have said, unless you put the two types of screen side by side you won't be able to tell the difference, and one type is not better than the other, just different.

Kris.

Upvote 0
I have had both Amoled on a Nexus one and Slcd on my Desire, and yes as all have said there is a color difference but what no one has said is that after three weeks my N1 suffered from screen burn in and it slowly got worse and with my slcd I have none of that, so in all I prefer the Slcd over the Amoled on this and any other phone I will buy in the future!!!

Upvote 0
Screen burn? that sounds either faulty or you were doing something odd with it!

I have an AMOLED Desire and my housemate an SLCD Desire HD for most uses they pretty much look the same. The only time we started to see differences and could properly compare them was during video playback where we both agreed that the AMOLED did look better but the SLCD was by no means bad. On the AMOLED black really is black, the SLCD will always have a slight backlight grey to it. The colours on the SLCD look a little more dull as others have said.

I haven't tested them both in sunlight but I do know my AMOLED is pretty poor when it comes to that :p

Upvote 0
Screen burn? that sounds either faulty or you were doing something odd with it!

I have an AMOLED Desire and my housemate an SLCD Desire HD for most uses they pretty much look the same. The only time we started to see differences and could properly compare them was during video playback where we both agreed that the AMOLED did look better but the SLCD was by no means bad. On the AMOLED black really is black, the SLCD will always have a slight backlight grey to it. The colours on the SLCD look a little more dull as others have said.

I haven't tested them both in sunlight but I do know my AMOLED is pretty poor when it comes to that :p

amoled screen burn in - Google Search=

This will tell you all about it!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones