• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Z as a Storage Device

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
When I connect my HTC Desire Z to the Eee Pad, I have the option on the Desire Z to connect as a USB storage device. When I try this, the Eee Pad does not recognise the Desire Z as a USB storage device. It can only charge my Desire Z. I can use a regular USB key as a storage device on the Eee Pad and I can use the Desire Z as a storage device on my PC.

When I hook up the Desire Z to the Eee Pad, the menu pops up on the Desire Z and I get to select a few options such as HTC Sync, charge only, USB storage device. I select the storage device option, but nothing happens. It only charges my phone.

thats a good point, but i actually have never connected my desire HD to my AEPT, generally if i want to transfer stuff i just use bluetooth as i only move around random pics and files.

not sure if there is a wireless app on the market that allows connected devices to browse each others file structures.

update: hmm yeah same issue, it seems to try to connect when you flick the usb debugging on and off but then just drops out....well, guess it seems like a call to the Asus Support team :)

Upvote 0
hey guys, update, got an email back from Asus saying,

"I have been informed that the TF101 does not support this fuction (due to drivers-related issues) My apologies for any inconvenience caused."

I basically replied saying if support is in the dev pipeline and if not can it be an RFE (request for enhancement).

will update when i hear more.

Reactions: sarwiz and Stuntman
Upvote 0
hey all another probably final update:

"Dear Eddie,

We have reported the issue to them but cannot confirm if this will be implemented in the near future.

Kind regards,
Asus UK Support Team"

well what do you guys think? shall i demand that they work on getting a set of drivers to allow an android phone to act as an external device for an android tablet? maybe we should coordinate mass requests so at least they pick up 20 instead of 1 bloke complaining lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones