1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General HTC Dream battery life problem,

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by galapogos, Aug 19, 2010.

1. galapogos

galapogos Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Hi,
    After I dropped my moto cliq and the touchscreen stopped working, I took over my fiancees Dream while she upgraded to a Desire. Previously she didn't have any battery issues with it, but I noticed after I started using it that battery life was very bad. Just today it went from 85% to 44% in a span of 4hrs doing absolutely nothing with the screen locked. After another 1hr of usage it dropped to 15%, which I'm sure y'all will agree is unacceptable.

I don't have anything running in the background, and I did perform a hardware reset after taking over the phone. The batt doesn't even get hot so I suspect that its not being charged fully or the batt indicator is inaccurate. I do notice that after a reboot I get a few more percentage points on the status indicator.

Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

The Dream has notoriously bad battery life but the indicator can get confused.

Might do a battery recalibration to make sure the phone doesn't make matters any worse. A quick googling will show the step-by-step.

If that's not it eBay has double-size batts/covers for about $10 shipped.

3. galapogos

galapogos Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Thanks, ill try battery calibration. I know the batt life isn't great on the dream nor the cliq I was using, but the phone was previously able to get through a day without issues, unlike now. I tried draining the battery before charging it full again but that didn't seem to help.I did notice that when the batt was flat and I connected the charger and then switched the phone on, after it booted up it showed 21%. I also noticed that the last 1-2% lasts extraordinarily long.

4. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

The last few percent lasting a long time is a symptom of the need for calibration, IIRC. Give it a shot.

Also, if you are running a custom recovery (Amon Ra, etc) you may be able to clear battery stats from there. This may or may not make the calibration better; I'm not an expert in it. You could check in at the xda-developers forum where the hardcore techs reside.

galapogos likes this.
  5. galapogos

galapogos Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Thanks. It seems to help. However I'm still getting the weird problem where my batt life magically gains a few dozen percentage points when I turn on my phone with the charger connected. Just now I turned it off with the batt at 31%. Then I turned it on an hour later while plugging the charger in and when it booted up it showed 84%.

Tags: