1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Drop down notification menu options

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by newnameforme, Sep 19, 2011.

1. newnameforme

newnameforme Newbie
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    With my HTC mytouch 4g/Panache, whenever i use the drop down menu for notifications theres are section that says my recently used apps . Is there a way to get rid of that for it to only show notifications ?

Advertisement

2. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    Root and install a custom ROM. Otherwise, no. I have the same issue on my HTC Inspire. I guess HTC didn't realize we don't need the bar there when we can hold the HOME button down to view recent apps within the current app you are running.

3. HJAcevedo

HJAcevedo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    College Student
    Brooklyn, NY
    Saltine is correct! The easiest way to customize that would be to root your phone and find a rom that suits your needs. Right off the bat I can say not to install Virtuous Unity since it does the same thing (it's a sense rom).

If you need help rooting be sure to check the "All things root" section up top!

4. amdviper

amdviper Member
    None

Aug 28, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah that notification menu gets to be annoying at times. I find myself using it less and less. I just go to the app that the notification is from now instead of using the drop down notification window. I too looked for a way to disable it. Seems like they would have included that option. At least it don't open by itself. That would REALLY drive me nuts!

5. HJAcevedo

None

Mar 20, 2011
    College Student
    Brooklyn, NY
    Really? I personally freaking LOVE it. I can't imagine it not being the way it is.

6. amdviper

amdviper Member
    None

Aug 28, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I see your point. It's nice for using it as a shortcut which I do. It def has it's place for usefulness. But since I have most of my apps that I use the most and get notified the most from on my screens, it don't really benefit me. I just swipe to the left or right and I'm there. Now maybe that will change over time. Having said that, I LOVE the phone and all it has to offer. Plus I have only had it for about 3 weeks, so given time, it will probably grow on me.

7. tukatz

tukatz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    I have avoided putting too many apps on home screens because I read somewhere that doing so eats battery life. Is that incorrect?

8. HJAcevedo

None

Mar 20, 2011
    College Student
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've never heard of that but I would assume if that's true it's minimal at best.

9. amdviper

amdviper Member
    None

Aug 28, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I never heard that either. In my case, I can tell you my screen uses up most of my battery. I know about turning the brightness down and all that. But the screen is just to gorgeous for me to turn it down. I can't help myself. And I have 2 extra batteries that I use so it don't bother me. When one goes dead, I pop a fully charged one in and I'm good to go.

10. Basscasey

Basscasey Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    You're probably thinking of widgets...and the only ones that would drain battery are ones that update...like news, weather, facebook, twitter, etc.

I have all mine that are on my home screens set to either update manually or every six or twelve hours.

11. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    You're probably correct. The only widgets I have on screen are Viz Battery and the one that lets me turn things like Wi-Fi on and off. I see that things like pop mail and calendar show up in the widget list. Seems to me that they would synch periodically whether they were on screen or not - is that not true?

12. Basscasey

Basscasey Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    The only ones that would update regardless of whether you had a widget onscreen or not would be email (maybe a few others that I can't think of). If resources are not being called upon for a certain widget it will have no reason to update itself.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'm sure there exceptions. I'm talking widgets/apps.

13. tukatz

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    I know calendar synchs, because we have a Google calendar that is linked to both our laptops and both our MT4Gs. We make entries from all four devices and they all stay in synch. I assume they would still do that even if we did not have the calendar app on our screens.