• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC ERIS Battery fried MULTIPLE TIMES

cmb123

Lurker
May 5, 2010
I just bought my HTC Eris about two months ago. While I've had my Droid, I've been charging it in the wall and in my computer with the USB cord, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Just this past Monday night however I was charging my computer and I had my phone plugged into my computer. All of a sudden my phone shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I tried taking the battery out several times, but it was just dead. The "charging" light wasn't even turning on.

On Tuesday, I went to Verizon and they gave me a new phone and a new battery because they said by battery was just fried. When I went home, I got all of my settings back to where they were before, and it was time for me to plug my phone in and charge it. I plugged it into my computer, and no more than a half an hour later, BAM it stopped working AGAIN!

I went back to Verizon, with the new phone, new battery and I brought my charger with me. The guy there gave me a new battery with the same phone I got earlier that morning and a new charger. Same thing, I come home, try to plug it in to my computer again, and BAM it stops working. (You can imagine my frustration.)

I go back to Verizon, they give me a new battery again and a new charger. They tell me they are going to plug the phone into my new charger there and watch it for an hour or so. Once I came back again and my phone was working fine, they adviced me to not plug the phone into my computer anymore, because maybe that was the problem (which does not make sense to me at all, because I had been charging it with my computer for months now.)

Anyways, I got home and when it came time to charge the phone, I plugged it into an outlet in my room. About an hour later, it shut off again. I went back to the store (my fifth trip in one day) and they came to the conclusion that maybe the outlets in my apartment all of a sudden started frying the batteries. They said the voltage coming out of the outlets might be too high. But I've been charging my phone in this apartment for quite some time now, so this does not make sense to me at all.

They ordered a new battery for me and I got it today.. my phone has been working but I haven't charged it yet. It's about to die, and I have no idea what to do or how to charge it because I'm afraid the battery will fry again. I am at a total loss of what to do...has anyone ever heard of something like this before?!

Not ever in my life... dude... best advice I can say is charge it in your car. Just get a car charger; hopefully your car is one of those that is live (always has the cig. lighters and stuff 'on' 24/7) all the time. Otherwise.... you're more or less screwed on that unless you run a 500 ft extension cord from your neighbors house. Lol.

Upvote 0
So I just got the new battery today. I charged it a little bit in my car, but it's just not very convenient to do all the time. And especially with how fast the battery dies on this phone, I'd have to be jumping in my car every couple of hours. So as much as I didn't want to, I had to just say "screw it" and I plugged the phone into a different outlet, with a surge protector (this is also an outlet that my roommate uses to charger her EnV Touch, and it works just fine might I add.) The phone shut off within about 20 seconds, and hasn't been able to turn back on again. I'd just like to have a phone that would charge in my apartment, I don't think that's too much to ask for!

Upvote 0
Something similar happened to my phone. It was running out of battery, i plugged in to charge in car and it just died, wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on, nothing. I decided to check to make sure battery hadn't gotten wet before going to Verizon, so, i took the battery out, waited overnight, put it back in, on charger and it started to respond once again to charging. although it had appeared dead beyond saving, it really wasn't at all. Quite bizarre.
Something to think about in case it happens again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones