1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General HTC Eris is POS!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CoolRanch, May 28, 2011.

1. CoolRanch

CoolRanch Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    This is the single worst piece of technology I've ever owned! I'm on my 4th, yes 4th replacement!
    The sense UI does not work worth a crap. Touch left side of screen and activates stuff on the right!
    Freezes countless times. Can't even answer calls because the touch screen UI is a joke. Have to yank the battery all the time.
    Plz don't reply with the standard "must've downloaded bad app" rhetoric. It is not the case.
    It is simply a crappy product. Once VZ sells it they wash their hands of it. The "insurance" merely replaces your broken crap with one another sucker sent in to get replaced. Replacing with refurbs is BS! Seriously... do I have to go back to a clamshell or brick? I paid way too much for this POS and the replacements, not to mention VZ "service".
    Anyone who defends this product is a punk.
    Anyone else feel the same?

Advertisement

2. metlcat

metlcat Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    Law School Student
    The Eris is an underpowered, outdated at the time of release phone. I was very frustrated with mine without ever having to send it back for a referb. There have been people on here who have gotten Droid Incredibles instead of the Eris if they complained enough and to the right people. Try asking for a supervisor and see what they can do. Be nice, and explain your situation.

If they can't do anything for you, you can always try rooting the phone. That's the path I took, and I'm so glad I did. Rooted, the Eris can be a good phone, and at times I've felt it's a completely different phone than what I bought stock. The devs for the Eris are great and have completely changed people's minds on the frustration they have felt.

3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

My Eris is awesome. But it wasn't when it was stock.

After 4 refurbs you should be able to get a different phone. Be prepared to spend an hour on the phone with Verizon and be nice. The first person you talk to can't help you. The call has to be escalated.

4. zapjb

zapjb Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Sorry for youse. Mine is very good.

5. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Iowa
    Have you tried getting a replacement? How about pulling the battery? I'l bet you've downloaded an app that is a resource hog...

6. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Welcome to AF CoolRanch. I'm certainly sorry you are experiencing problems with your phone. Though the device is a bit behind the curve today... I've heard from many owners that they love theirs. I might suggest you read through some of the past problems/solutions here in the Eris section. Or ask some of the very experienced users here for some assistance. Hopefully between the two avenues you might resolve your problems.
    Best of luck to you.

7. th3goob

th3goob Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Nanty Glo, PA
    Call verizon when you get the first customer support agent ask them nicely if you can speak to their supervisor, or Tier 2, then tell them your issues. After they have listened to your issues, simply tell them that your unsatisfied with the number of Droid Eris's you have recieved and that you would like to see if you would be able to get a droid incredible or droid 2, worked for me on 2 of my phones

bberryhill0 likes this.
  8. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    I got free inc1 from my Eris, now rockin inc1 and inc2, with an update April 2012.

9. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    like above said, it's all about the right Rep. the I have a defective charging port on my inc2, the first lady told me to go into the store and they will replace it, LOL, I called immediately back and he sent me out a refurb in 2 mins. lol. Funny, but it's how it works.

10. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    lol...I remember when you upgraded and left us, :( :)D ;))...and then changed your name to boot! :p

Glad you keep checking in with your old Eris mates! Kudos to you, sir!

11. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    The funny thing about the Eris is that you either had an awful one or a great one ... there was no middle ground. I was lucky and mine worked great (one rooted) until I finally upgraded last week.

12. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    +1 to that! Mine was (and still is) in excellent condition.

Although I must admit that I was very careful with my Eris until I got my DX in July of last year (never went in my pocket; was always in a leather case; had pretty good battery life (used the 1750 extended battery), so I didn't have to stress the USB port and therefore, the trackball, etc). But I did have eight months of day-to-day use on it.

Cheers!

13. MOS95B

MOS95B Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    Enterprise Level NAS Tech Support
    Minnesota
    The wife and I are still using our after almost 2 full years. She finally likes hers, now that it is time to upgrade (She's kind of a technophobe).

Mine still does all I want it to, but I am ready to move on to new tech (Debating between Charge and TB).