• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Eris RUU won't run

Okay, so I was trying to install the recently released gingerbread onto my Eris. For some reason it didnt work, but i had already deleted my system and cache and now I am left with a phone with absolutely no software on it.

I'm not worried about the gingerbread now. Now my main goal is to just get back to my stock 2.1 or hell, stock 1.5. Anyways, I am trying to use an RUU and it keeps failing. The error message I am receiving is...

"The ROM Update Utility cannot open the requested files or the files are damaged. The RUU cannot continue with the update.

Please get a complete RUU package and try again."

I have tried several different RUU downloads and it's just been a total fail. If anyone can help at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just for the record, I'm running Windows 7. It matters sometimes when it comes to my Droid X. lol

Okay, so I was trying to install the recently released gingerbread onto my Eris. For some reason it didnt work, but i had already deleted my system and cache and now I am left with a phone with absolutely no software on it.

I'm not worried about the gingerbread now. Now my main goal is to just get back to my stock 2.1 or hell, stock 1.5. Anyways, I am trying to use an RUU and it keeps failing. The error message I am receiving is...

"The ROM Update Utility cannot open the requested files or the files are damaged. The RUU cannot continue with the update.

Please get a complete RUU package and try again."

I have tried several different RUU downloads and it's just been a total fail. If anyone can help at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just for the record, I'm running Windows 7. It matters sometimes when it comes to my Droid X. lol

Do you have any nand backups you can restore?

An easier way to get back to stock would be to use this: [ROM][03/06/2011]FlashBack21 v2 -Return to Factory Stock - March 2011 OTA - xda-developers

Just flash it like any other ROM.

Reactions: jonzey231
Upvote 0
I would try the leak v3 PB00IMG file.

You can find it here: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Rename that file to PB00IMG.zip (it must be that exact name - if Windows hides extensions, unhide them, so that the file is not named PB00IMG.zip.zip) and copy to your SD card. Follow the instructions here; basically, these steps:

Upvote 0
I just tried an ruu again and it got really far to the point I thought it was going to work, then I got the same error I described earlier. If it helps any... this is what the screen says when i unplugged the device after the failure

"PB00100 XC SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-1.49.0000 (PB0010000)
MICROP-0111
TOUCH PANEL-MELFAS_45_17
RADIO-2.42.00.04.12
Feb 8 2010, 00:08:56

RUU

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Granted I can get this file on to my sd card, how to you suggest I install it? Like I said, I can't even boot into the stock recovery.

The instructions are in my post above.

To repeat them, you boot to HBOOT by holding VolDn when you start the phone. The bootloader will check for the presence of a file called PB00IMG.zip - if it finds it, it starts to install the file, showing a progress bar in blue toward the right-hand side of the display. You press the trackball when prompted to agree to install the image, then again to restart the phone when it is done.

Upvote 0
The instructions are in my post above.

To repeat them, you boot to HBOOT by holding VolDn when you start the phone. The bootloader will check for the presence of a file called PB00IMG.zip - if it finds it, it starts to install the file, showing a progress bar in blue toward the right-hand side of the display. You press the trackball when prompted to agree to install the image, then again to restart the phone when it is done.

I can't boot into hboot.

Upvote 0
I can't boot into hboot. :(

im a little confused how youre trying to install the PB00IMG files. how did you get the fillowing info if you cannot boot into hboot? the white screen with colored letters that this info is displayed on IS hboot.

"PB00100 XC SHIP S-ON
MICROP-0111
TOUCH PANEL-MELFAS_45_17
RADIO-2.42.00.04.12

RUU

1)so you get the v3 leak "root rom" renamed to PB00IMG on your zip card... you power off,then power on while holding volume down... what happens?

what should happen is the white screen will appear,youll get a blue progress bar on the right,followed by a gold(IIRC) progress bar,followed by a promp to update.

if its something different,describe whats going on in as much detail as possible.

2) what happens if you simply power on? hangs at skateboards or bootloop? or goes to a a functional,or semi-functional operating system? again,please provide as much detail as possible.

Upvote 0
The phone will not boot to anything including hboot. The screen you're asking about I was able to get when unplugging the usb cable after a failled ruu attempt.

Press the power button = black screen
Press the power button + down volume button = black screen

The only time I can even get an HTC logo screen is when the ruu is running on the computer side.

And last but not least, I got the PB00IMG file on my sd card using my moms blackberry as a usb drive and transferring it over.

Upvote 0
Ok, this sounds a little familiar. There have been two people who were able to get this solved using a trick using RUU, as reported in this post at xda-deveopers: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] semi-Bricked?? fix?

(And here is the full thread: [Q] semi-Bricked?? fix? - xda-developers )

This thread is a little less geeky and will hopefully walk you through everything you may need to do to recover the phone: [SOLVED] Anyway to Unbricked a Droid Eris? - xda-developers

By the way, just to ask, how did you root the phone? Did the root method install clockwork recovery or Amon_RA?

Upvote 0
Okay I just got a new screen!

I installed HTC Sync to make sure I had all the appropriate drivers and when I reconnected the phone the HTC Bootloader driver installed.

I ran the Ruu again, it still failed but before when I would disconnect it I got

"PB00100 XC SHIP S-ON
MICROP-0111
TOUCH PANEL-MELFAS_45_17
RADIO-2.42.00.04.12

RUU"​

This time when I disconnected it I got

"PB00100 XC SHIP S-ON
MICROP-0111
TOUCH PANEL-MELFAS_45_17
RADIO-2.42.00.04.12

RUU

Parsing...[downloaded ZIP]
[1]Boot -Failed-PU
[2]Radio_VZ -OK
[3]Recovery -OK
[4]System -Failed-PU
[5]Userdata - OK
Partition update fail!
Update Fail"​

Upvote 0
Ok, this sounds a little familiar. There have been two people who were able to get this solved using a trick using RUU, as reported in this post at xda-deveopers: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] semi-Bricked?? fix?

(And here is the full thread: [Q] semi-Bricked?? fix? - xda-developers )

This thread is a little less geeky and will hopefully walk you through everything you may need to do to recover the phone: [SOLVED] Anyway to Unbricked a Droid Eris? - xda-developers

By the way, just to ask, how did you root the phone? Did the root method install clockwork recovery or Amon_RA?

Clockwork recovery was installed.

Upvote 0
Well, I hope that you are able to get that RUU replacement trick to work to get the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader on the phone. If you can do that, you hopefully will be able to use fastboot flash to get Amon_RA recovery on the phone and then flash a new ROM that works.

I just read through that link to the xda thread you sent me, and I'm going to be completely honest it was way over my head. This is my first experience with an HTC device so I honestly have no prior knowledge.

Is there anyway you could simplify it for me?

I have the radio that they said I would need, I just don't know how to do any of the stuff they talked about in that thread. It seems that they all had prior knowledge.

I haven't said this in a long time, but I am a noob here on this one.

Upvote 0
I just read through that link to the xda thread you sent me, and I'm going to be completely honest it was way over my head. This is my first experience with an HTC device so I honestly have no prior knowledge.

Is there anyway you could simplify it for me?

I think the first step is to download the original root ROM PB00IMG.zip file from here: [HTC ROMs] Consolidated HTC Eris RUU/OTA/ROM URLs - xda-developers

Do you see where it says "Root ROM"? Download that file. Rename that file "rom.zip".

Now, run the RUU that you have already tried, but stop when you get to the step that would flash the RUU to the phone and follow the steps in this post: xda-developers - View Single Post - [SOLVED] Anyway to Unbricked a Droid Eris? to find where in your temp directory the file created by the RUU called "rom.zip" is stored. Delete that file, replace it with the one that you downloaded, and then go back to the RUU application and let it try to flash. Hopefully you will end up with the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader version on the phone (you will still probably get an error from the RUU utility when it tries to flash the ROM.)

This would be the first step.

By the way, I am in and out all day today. Hopefully somebody else will step in to help if I'm not around, or you can be a little patient.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones