1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

HTC EVO 3D LTE/WIMAX capabilities

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DanTheAndroid, Mar 22, 2011.

1. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

I live right between the airport and downtown metro, about a mile or two from each :)

Advertisement

2. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Android Expert

Follow up:
    FCC proposing data roaming rules, not interested in commonizing carriers -- Engadget

3. crabjoe

crabjoe Newbie

You're problem with comparing # of cities might make Clearwire's WiMax look like it covers a larger area, but it's not totally true. Clearwire's markets tend to be smaller cities, so the cover less peeps. Verizon, even with just over half the number of cities Clearwire has, still covers almost the same number of people. Also Verizon is actively increasing coverage, where Clearwire has pretty much stalled. I'd say Verizon's LTE coverage will surpass WiMax within a couple months.

BTW, why do you think a LTE 4G coverage map would look pathetic? Verizon's LTE coverage (based on # of people covered) is already at more then 90% of Clearwire's WiMax coverage. Plus you don't have the Swiss cheese effect on Verizon's LTE. What I mean by this is that on WiMax is that I pretty much have to be stationary to use Sprint's 4G. If I move, especially go into a building, I lose coverage. This is in area that Sprint says they have strong 4G coverage.

Now, I haven't tried Verizon's 4G, but a friend got it and she's not having any problems with it. No problems with driving around town or in building or even in her home. Hand offs between tower to tower or even with 3G are seamless too.

So now, please tell me how Clearwire/Sprint's WiMax is going to compete against Verizon's LTE by the end of the year. WiMax already has problems and now it's not even being expanded....

4. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

This is why I was/am very tempted by the Thunderbolt.

5. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert

Once again, just because you're the majority stakeholder doesn't mean it is your responsibility to run a company. Like I said, they may not want a management shake up. Just to be clear one more time, just because you are a majority stakeholder in a company does not mean you are responsible for its' performance.

6. BlackDynamite

Yes, it absolutely does make you responsible for the performance of the company if you are the majority owner, lol.

If they don't want a management shakeup, then it means you must be happy with the job they are doing. If you are not happy with the job they are doing, you either set them straight or replace them.

I have never in my life heard someone try to explain why the owner of a company wasn't responsible for said company.

7. ekt8750

ekt8750 Android Enthusiast

There are plenty of corporate subsidiaries that operate independently of their parent companies. The parent companies only tend to step in if the subsidiary starts costing the parent company money.

jdsingle likes this.
  8. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert

Just because you are majority stakeholder does not, let me repeat, does not mean you are responsible for the performance of the company. It consumes resources to run another company, let alone a company with a mkt cap of 1.3 billion. Sprint needs to focus on their own problems right now and yes, Clearwire may be a big part of that. If Sprint wanted to control Clearwire, they wouldn't have said,
    Peripheral investments even when you have a controlling stake are not at the base of operations for a company. Yes, Clearwire is an important aspect of Sprint's network. I won't deny that, but stop saying that it is Sprint's fault that Clearwire is a bad company just because they have the controlling stake. I highly recommend you read over Sprint's 10-K report for 2010, particularly page 13.

BenChase7 likes this.
  9. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

Where did you get your MBA? I want to make sure no one I know ever applies to that school.

ekt8750 and BenChase7 like this.
  10. BlackDynamite

I understand that subsidiaries can operate independently of the parent company. I also understand that can only operate independently if the parent company allows it. At any time, that parent company can put a stop to whatever actions it doesn't like if the subsidiary is doing something wrong. So, again, my point is Sprint allowed and continues to allow Clearwire's problems.

I am well aware that Sprint may decide to sell Clearwire. It doesn't change anything. Sprint allowed and continues to allow Clearwire to do whatever it is that Clearwire did and does. Sprint could have, and still can, put the brakes on whatever it is Clearwire is doing, and make them do whatever it is Sprint wants done. There is just no other way to say it, Sprint absolutely IS responsible for Clearwire's actions while they are the majority owner.

And again, just so you don't have to say it again, I understand that Sprint could sell their stake in Clearwire tomorrow if they want. It doesn't change the fact that Sprint was the majority owner yesterday and today.

11. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert

I give up.

12. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

we all do.. after getting a head ache

13. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Android Enthusiast

I see we have a kickstand.[​IMG]

I was on a European site and they are advertising LTE on EVO 3D (2:36).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpY8ZlsUzM&feature=player_detailpage#t=153s

This guy on HTC site. Shows EVO 3D with out a Sprint logo. If you pause the video and look at HTC product description it shows it as having LTE capabilities.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVpUoGEurU&feature=player_detailpage

The current Qualcomm cpu have this built in or what is the deal? I can't see having a device just announced and then being posted on HTC site in Europe and both not having the same capabilities. I was wondering if someone might know if this is built in or what? I don't want to get caught with a phone and needing to upgrade for LTE.

14. LOl, the evo 3d does not have gsm, peroid. It does not have lte. If you want lte go to verizon and get the thunderbolt. The HTC evo 3d is a cdma wimax phone. Period.

15. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

there is a small rumor that it might be a combo : wimax and lte

16. crabjoe

crabjoe Newbie

I keep hearing that about Sprint's version also, but I think it's just speculation.

Based on what I've read on it, it won't have LTE. The reason is MSM8660 nor the Sequans SQN1210 support LTE. Now if Sprint/HTC makes a change to either MSM8960 or go with something like the Beceem's BSC500 or some Sequan's 4Sight chipset, it would have support for both WiMax and LTE.

Here's to hoping!!

17. redninja

redninja Member

Yep, I have 5 evos on my plan, 3 of them are in no 4g areas, but its still 30$ extra for those phones. I didnt mind it when 4g was expanding, now that expansion may be stopped, I dont want to pay it if theres no chance of them getting it. Silver status sucks to, I buy 2-3 phones outright a year so my upgrade was really important for me. I live in houston, work at various plants all over the country, my 4g hardly ever works in the plants and the 3g alot of times is worse then dialup there. BUT, tmobile att is always balzing fast still for the other guys at work. I was gonna switch to tmob but att bought them.

Wimax is nice when it works, but if you move bend sneeze cough fart whatever its jumping back to 3g.

18. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert

Sprint has pretty much always competed by offering better value. Up until they were the first 4G network (that ended up being slower than some 3G offerings), they never did claim they were the fasest at anything. What they did claim is a nice break on your monthly bill. This is still true, although not as glaringly different as it has been in the past, whatwith their $10 BS fee on all smartphones now. Unless they are ready to dump billions down on upgrading their network/footprint, they are going to have to compete in terms of value, as they always have. With price cuts/drops already seen with ATT, it's going to take some work from Sprint to keep the customers they rounded up with the EVO IMO.

19. lordofthereef

It is worth noting that Sprint never claimed that the $10 fee was for 4G, though they really made it seem that way with only their 4G enabled devices having the "premium data charge" at launch. Their answer to this was to slap that $10 fee onto all small phones (although not retroactively, so it was only on smartphones purchased/activated after a certain date). I still do see where you are coming from., compeltely.

20. lordofthereef

How on earth can you make this claim with such absolution? Is there a hardware teardown of the product? There is already confirmation of a GSM version of the phone as well. Certainly that will be different from the Sprint version, but I still don't see how you can be so absolutely sure of yourself.

BlackDynamite likes this.
  21. lordofthereef

I am not sure what you are questioning being built in, but what you are seeing is a GSM version of the actual phone. Look back the the HTC hero. Same name, same phone, different network technology. I do suspect a name change from EVO though, being that EVO seems to be SPrint's baby.

22. BlueScreen

BlueScreen Well-Known Member

Original EVO 3D prototype "Shooter" had MSM8960 SoC and the reason for being confident that EVO 3D would support WLTE. I have inspected MSM8660 and like MSM8690 it supports same .28nm technology. I don't know if this was a last minute change to lithography during manufacturing process of silicon. Battery stress test show the same improvement ~75%. The die on this EVO 3D is the same size as the original "Shooter". I can't tell by simply looking at the die if this MSM8660 supports LTE/TD-LTE or not. I know the move to MSM8660 was to focus on cost and optimization by dev community in the future. MSM8660 is also meant to help keep cost inline to compare with EVO 4G at launch. The one thing that is killing Atrix 4G at the moment is cost. You not only have to purchase hd multi-media dock, faux laptop dock, and the litany of cables required. EVO 3D goes beyond the need for such things. HTC media link and DNLA will provide the same HD multi media experience with out cables. Laptop docking features will be the same through MHL using a laptop or desktop you already own.
    Wimax/LTE support for current 4G Wimax devices and EVO 3D is completed. This is up to cooperate politics and we the consumers are going to see this in the future. I think Sprints Leap Frog program is a step in the right direction to achieve this. I will be posting links in the future as how this will be achieved. The research is outside cooperate channels, but open to everyone interested by looking up "Harmonization of Wimax/LTE" be prepared for every acronym under the sun and extremly dry read.
    BSOD

23. pretty sure the only way to do true dual wimax/lte is with the new Beecem WiMax/LTE chips which I have yet to see be announced into any device.

24. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert

Lot's of info but excellent article nonetheless.

On a side note, come on CSCO stock!

Source: CNN Money

25. Lol at the CNN article, it is great when they just mindlessly report marketing. But just one question, if we are going to have spectrum problems, then why as lte won again?
    But lte will not allow devices to become universal, lte will not allow Verizon phones to work with anything but Verizon. Universal, not even close.

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews
Tags: