• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO 3D Software Update - 2.95.651.5

I got it last night. Some are saying that it breaks Swype. I haven't checked yet.

Sprint Community: 3/14 - HTC EVO 3D Software Update - 2.95.651.5

The big change is the Sprint software
HTC EVO 3D Software Update - 2.95.651.5

Enhancements/Fixes
- Stream AVI files via DLNA
- Improve Messaging application loading time
- Sprint Connections Optimizer

Important Notes
- Software version is 2.95.651.5
- Refer to the HTC EVO 3D Software Updates blog for install information

Just tested Swype on my phone, and it does NOT work anymore.

Upvote 0
My Swype is broken but I'm largely using Swiftkey so it doesn't matter much to me, but I cannot turn on wifi. I've even uninstalled the Connection Optimizer via Titanium, and I still can't turn it on. 3G and HTC Internet Pass-thru do work.

Oh, and I had lost root but got it back via Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper.

Upvote 0
I think I will wait a bit as well...

I have not heard of anything else being broken.

However, if you are considering rooting, it is recommended to not take this update beforehand.

So does this mean I would not be able to root at all after the update? I plan on messin around with it whenever I get a replacement phone and turn the 3VO into a media device of sorts.

Upvote 0
I think I will wait a bit as well...

So does this mean I would not be able to root at all after the update? I plan on messin around with it whenever I get a replacement phone and turn the 3VO into a media device of sorts.

No. Root is still possible but s-off was unknown. We finally just heard last night that someone got s-off on the new ota though! Sd card seems damaged though. Not sure if it's because of their setup or if they were just unfortunate. There was always an implied risk of damaging sd card beyond repair.

But now it looks like full rooting is possible :)

Reactions: atg284
Upvote 0
Agreed, my wife installed it earlier, and now her Swype no longer works. She has had and used Swype since the phone was released. It gives her an error message, something about beta Swype and her license is not valid. She yelled at me to fix it, but I couldn't do anything.

I will now wait to install on my Evo 3D until an update fixes the issue.

I got it last night. Some are saying that it breaks Swype. I haven't checked yet.

Sprint Community: 3/14 - HTC EVO 3D Software Update - 2.95.651.5

The big change is the Sprint software

Just tested Swype on my phone, and it does NOT work anymore.

Upvote 0
Glad I checked first. I guess I will not be updating since I don't think I can text on my phone anymore after using Swype for the last 3+ years. How comparable is Swiftkey?

The newer swift key is better than it used to be. I BETA'd on it for a bit and was actually started to like it, but time ran out, and I'm not going to pay for it when I can use Swype and BETA Swype! :D

Upvote 0
Reactions: toad6386
Upvote 0
Argh! This is new, and possibly the weirdest thing I have seen this phone do!

Just today, several of my contacts who were in my favorites group, are totally gone from the phone! They were there earlier this morning! I've had the data disconnected since I left home, and during that time the phone deleted 4 people in my favorites group, but left the rest!!!

This has to be new with this update!

I figured out that it deleted all the people who were "starred in Android" whatever that means. I unstarred then in my contacts in gmail and they instantly appeared on my phone.

Upvote 0
Perhaps. I've noticed a lot of weirdness since the update. Other than swype being hosed, my phone reboots frequently, now. Also, the items in the recent apps (in the pull-down, notification menu) inexplicably disappear, on occasion. If I go to keyboard settings, the phone hangs and then reboots after a couple of minutes. Etc. This is a horribly botched update. For me, the most frustrating part is that they know of problems, yet they continue to push the update anyway (my wife's phone, for instance, which I didn't update after my phone was ruined, continues to receive the pending update notification).

Upvote 0
Perhaps. I've noticed a lot of weirdness since the update. Other than swype being hosed, my phone reboots frequently, now. Also, the items in the recent apps (in the pull-down, notification menu) inexplicably disappear, on occasion. If I go to keyboard settings, the phone hangs and then reboots after a couple of minutes. Etc. This is a horribly botched update. For me, the most frustrating part is that they know of problems, yet they continue to push the update anyway (my wife's phone, for instance, which I didn't update after my phone was ruined, continues to receive the pending update notification).

It's not a great solution but a factory reset could help with some of your issues. People have issues a lot after taking OTA updates, a lot of which are problems in the cache. Rooted users can easily wipe the cache on their phone in seconds. Unfortunately, for non rooted users, the only way to clear the cache is through a factory reset.... This also means that you will lose all your data. :( Not really an optimal choice there, put up with phone acting up, or start from scratch. Plus there is no guarantee that the reset will fix all of the problems, so it's a big decision for people with a lot of apps/app data.

Also, for your wife's phone, go into settings, software update, and uncheck the automatically check for updates option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones