• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Evo 4G 0 MB storage.

Sorry I tried the cd Downloads thing. Always get
enigma@enigma-Aspire-M3470G:~/Downloads$ sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-ra-supersonic-4.3-smelkus-reloaded2.img
[sudo] password for enigma:
sudo: ./fastboot-linux: command not found. I can't install on linux. I have to choose a program to open file with.

Upvote 0
How do I flash the rom from Linux? Can I do it without Micro sd card?
Nope. I think nope.

Without a system there, you're going to have to put the rom directly on the sd card by plugging it in to your pc (Windows is fine for that), move the card over to the phone, and flash the rom from recovery.

That's the normal way.

But we can try this, I don't know if it will work -

Put your rom into the Linux Downloads/sdk-tools folder.

In the Terminal say -

sudo ./fastboot-linux boot name-of-recovery-file

Try the install option - see if you can get to the rom zip file.

Upvote 0
Well I tried and failed. Got the following on terminal.
enigma@enigma-Aspire-M3470G:~/Downloads/sdk-tools$ sudo ./fastboot-linux boot ev_supersonic-nightly-2014.11.22-squished.zip

creating boot image...
creating boot image - 165918720 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 23.734s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: reproduce boot image with on-flash ramdisk error)
finished. total time: 23.783s

Upvote 0
Nope. I think nope.

Without a system there, you're going to have to put the rom directly on the sd card by plugging it in to your pc (Windows is fine for that), move the card over to the phone, and flash the rom from recovery.

That's the normal way.

But we can try this, I don't know if it will work -

Put your rom into the Linux Downloads/sdk-tools folder.

In the Terminal say -

sudo ./fastboot-linux boot name-of-recovery-file

Try the install option - see if you can get to the rom zip file.
^ name of recovery file, not the rom :)

sudo ./fastboot-linux boot recovery-ra-supersonic-4.3-smelkus-reloaded2.img

That's going to run a temporary recovery that's tied to your pc storage.

If you're lucky enough, the recover will then see ev_supersonic-nightly-2014.11.22-squished.zip on your PC and let you install it.

I've used recovery like that (thank you @scotty85 !) but not for installing - but it won't hurt to try it.

There is no way to directly install a rom from fastboot.

Anything you've read on that applies only to some of the Nexus phones, and an s-off Evo with an engineering bootloader - and relatively few of us besides me ever had one of those.

With a production bootloader (what you have) - no fastboot rom installs ok.

So - good news - what you did - it didn't harm the phone at all and ought not have corrupted anything there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones