• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO 4G Gets Some Plan Information

Pretty much. Wimax is something new that isn't available to everyone so they won't want to throw up any barriers to its adoption. How annoying would it be to have to choose whether you will have it within the year, whether you want to pay extra, etc. They want to just have it as an added bonus where available. Once coverage is wider and more people are using it, they will probably change pricing plans in a few years to reflect new usage for everyone.

Also, Wimax just makes it easier and cheaper for them to provide data so it would not make sense to add a charge.

I think it is safe to ignore this particular rumor.

Upvote 0
I would be very disappointed if there is a higher fee for 4g data plans. If there is I won't be purchasing the EVO and would be looking back at the Incredible or Samsungs coming out soon.

As much as 4G is nice I really don't want to pay even more for my monthly data plan than I do already as it's already getting pretty close to the cost of my home internet...

Upvote 0
I would bet money on this being wrong. When the CEO of the company flat out says that you will use the same plans then I tend to believe that over some random website.

Word on the street is still same plans, addon for Sprint's commercial tethering app.

Count on all of the plans changing. The training slides say that all phones on plans that share minutes with an Evo must be upgraded to a plan designed for the HTC Evo. So the CEO was correct when he said that all phones will use the same plans.

Upvote 0
Doesnt really bother me. My wife and i have blackberries, so we have the common family data plan.

If the training slides are to be believed, you will still have to upgrade your family data plan to a new plan designed for the EVO. If the EVO was allowed on the current family data and simply everything plans, no new plans would have to be designed. I truly hope that this is just a poor choice of terms, but I would think that the slides would have been more specific if the EVO could be used on any of the current plans.

Upvote 0
Lets look at the facts people.

1. Currently 4g is offered from Sprint in the form of 3g/4g data cards and the mifi and have since been reduced in price.

2. Hesse himself said that 4g is actually cheaper than 3g.

I would not be surprised if Sprint does come out with new price plans and offer cheaper plans than they have now to further entice those who might have said they wont get the Evo because their area is has not been announced as a future 4g area.

The Evo and 4g are great for Sprint but as time has shown for Sprint, they have to come very hard to bring in new subs and i think this new phone and new price plans will do it.

Upvote 0
headscratch.gif

I saw the same post on the EVO Facebook page. It really doesn't tell us squat, much less even point at a source. I chalk it up to more rumor-mongering.

bullshit_flag.gif

Upvote 0
I just switched to the 69.99 450 plan and I was told the other day when I called about my rebate that I would of had to of changed my plan for this phone anyway. Cause I was on an old F& C plan up until March when I changed so I could be premiere sooner and just have everything. So I am thinking like everyone else says it's only more that wifi tethering..

Upvote 0
I was talking to someone on the online chat at Sprint's website, and they told me that from what they were told if you have any of the unlimited data plans then there shouldn't be an increase in price to use 4g. I don't know if anybody has already stated that but I talked to the guy yesterday. He seemed less knowledgeable about if Sprint would charge extra for using the phone as a hotspot.

Upvote 0
If the training slides are to be believed, you will still have to upgrade your family data plan to a new plan designed for the EVO. If the EVO was allowed on the current family data and simply everything plans, no new plans would have to be designed. I truly hope that this is just a poor choice of terms, but I would think that the slides would have been more specific if the EVO could be used on any of the current plans.

I dont understand what "designed for EVo" means. Our BB Tours chew up data just as much as an EVO phone will. Also where i live (Tallahassee) there will be no 4g coverage in a while. So if theyre making a new plan, it better not apply to with me and my purchase because 4g doesnt apply to me. So my "everything data family plan" better be good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones