• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO 4G, HTC Incredible, or Verizon Nexus One?

Given the below, should I go with the EVO, Incredible, or Verizon Nexus One?

• HTC EVO 4G (Sprint)

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • HTC Incredible (Verizon)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Google Nexus One (Verizon)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wanted to get some opinions. I really can't decide which I want to get.

I live in Austin, TX, so Sprint's coverage should be pretty decent in the area, but I do know that one of my neighbors has a blackberry on Sprint and drops calls a lot. I also know that if I do want to wait to try the EVO 4G, I could get my money back within 30 days, but I'm not sure I want to wait.

It's also important to note that my wife's employer offers us a 19% discount on Verizon, which would actually make Verizon cheaper for us than Sprint.

Any good advice? TIA

I'm choosing the HTC Incredible because I'm on the Verizon network and 4.3" screen is overkill for me since it would be in my pockets for a couple of hours per day minimum. I need to bend down a lot. 3.7" is just perfect. Also, since it's on Verizon, it's on the most complete 3G network. 4G definitely has a ways to go. By the time 4G is good enough to justify paying more than just 3G, there will be far better phones than EVO 4G.

Upvote 0
You make a couple of good points, Vihzel.

Do you think the EVO will really be that big in the pocket? Because I, too, keep my phone in my pocket 90% of the time.

Also, you're point about 3G and 4G are right on track with my contemplations. I can't decide whether I'd rather have the vast 3G network of Verizon, or the spotty but speedy 4G network of Sprint. I think I'm leaning towards Verizon...

On a side note, why the Incredible over the N1?

Upvote 0
On a side note, why the Incredible over the N1?

I would agree with Vihzel in getting the Incredible. From what it seems so far the Nexus One is only available through Google's website. The Incredible will have in-store support if anything happens to the phone and you can actually view the phone. Plus, news has been quiet on the Verizon Nexus One (or CDMA version for that matter). I've been torn between the Nexus One and Incredible for some time now, but I figure I've got 30 days after getting the Incredible to see if there's any update on the Nexus One. But if the Nexus One isn't coming to Verizon stores anyway and is strictly online I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that.

The EVO 4G is up there but I'm sure, like any advance in technology, 4G won't be great to begin with but will evolve over time. Personally, I love Verizon's coverage which is why I'm choosing their lineup of Android phones.

With that said, my vote is for the Droid Incredible!

Upvote 0
For me, the EVO 4G is way too big to comfortably fit in my pockets because I tried it with the HTC HD2. The Samsung Omnia 2 that I had, which is 3.7", is just good enough. I tend to wear tigher pants (not skinny jeans) and the Samsung Omnia 2 already makes a big enough bulge (teehee).

I am definitely getting the HTC Droid Incredible > HTC Nexus One for several reasons:

1. Ability to get it through Verizon in store with using NE2 from my mom's contract. I don't have that ability with Google.
2. The design of the Droid Inc is far sexier to me with the flat front and the layered, structured design on the back.
3. Optical trackpack makes the front cleaner without any protrusion.
4. HTC Sense UI (which is a huge factor for me)
5. Full Verizon support
6. Release date for the Inc is so far much earlier than the N1
7. I like how Droid Inc is all black with red accents vs. N1's choice of colors, which is nice, but not better than the black and red
8. N1 has hardware issues that may or may not be on the Droid Inc
9. Blah blah blah :)

Upvote 0
3. Optical trackpack makes the front cleaner without any protrusion.

This is a slight factor for me as well, but I remember hearing a rumor a couple of weeks ago that the Verizon N1 may be modified a bit, possibly including a better screen (probably to fix a lot of the reported issues), an optical trackpad rather than trackball, and several other fixes...

I don't remember where I saw that (possibly right here), but does anyone know of there's any validity to any of that? I guess that's another reason I kinda want to wait until I at least see the specs for the Verizon N1...

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to figure out what the special surprise is supposed to be with the N1, whenever they decide to release that phone, which is obviously going to be possibly late May if it took Verizon this long to release the Droid Inc. I wouldn't be surprised if it is pushed back to Summer release. I assume that the specs should be the same aside from some minor tweaks here and there. I don't think Google would want to make the Verizon N1 much better than the Tmobile N1 because that just wouldn't make any sense.

Upvote 0
I'm in the exact same boat (even an Aggie too) with the only differences being I've eliminated the N1 and I get 18% off Sprint and 13% off Verizon. I keep going back and forth...

Always love runnin' into another Ag online. I think I've essentially eliminated the N1 as well, although like I said above, I'm still kinda curious about any potential improvements that will be on Verizon's version.

I think I'm leaning towards the Droid Incredible now. I've decided that I'd rather have the massive 3G network of Verizon (especially when travelling) than the small coverage of Sprint with some high-speed 4G access. I think I'll go with Verizon and look forward to their own LTE 4G network in the coming years...

Upvote 0
Evo 4G = God in the form of a smartphone.

Are you sure? I don't see that it really has a whole lot of edges on the Droid Inc other than the larger screen and 4g... What makes it so much better?

Evo 4G:
Sprint 4G Access
4.3" screen compared to Inc's 3.7"
1GB ROM compared to Inc's 512MB ROM (not sure this really matters)
1500 mAh battery compared to Inc's 1300 mAh battery (probably about the same life with TFT screen)

Droid Incredible:
Verizon's massive 3G network
AMOLED Screen compared to Evo's TFT (better image, energy efficient, and better in sun)
576MB RAM compared to Evo's 512MB RAM (not much diff)
8GB built-in memory

Upvote 0
Dont forget the Evo can be used as a 4G Mobile hotspot for up to 8 devices. (For those who like this feature). And also dont forget that sprintis planning on expanding their 4g coverage and should cover some more places soon

Also, we saw screenshots of the evo placed next to the iphone and nexus 1 and it was about the same size. Not that big. It just uses more of its real estate for the screen.

Upvote 0
That Evo will be amazing, but I'm on Verizon and have no complaints about service or anything like that. My friends with Sprint don't get nearly the same call clarity or service as I do, but I'm sure that is because of our location. If it was different, I'd probably switch to Sprint and go for the Evo, but for now, I'm sticking with my Eris, though the Incredible will be pretty awesome for Verizon too... The only reason I'd choose the Incredible over the Nexus One is because it seems VERY similar to my Eris (which gives me a hard-on everytime I use it). :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones