• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO 4G receives OTA update to 5.07.651.1

I got pinged to receive this update a few hours ago. My generic EVO extended battery literally died just before I had a chance to accept or reject it (irony?), but I would have rejected it anyway.

I'd like to keep my options open for a future root, assuming I can solve an unrelated problem with HTC Sync.

What version of android are you on? If you took the last update to get you to 2.3.5 then your going to have to use HTC dev (hboot 2.18) from here on out and that will always be available. If youve been denying updates for longer than that (hboot less than 2.18) the old root methods still work.

Either way, I'd say root it.

Do you know what your hboot is?

Upvote 0
What version of android are you on? If you took the last update to get you to 2.3.5 then your going to have to use HTC dev (hboot 2.18) from here on out and that will always be available. If youve been denying updates for longer than that (hboot less than 2.18) the old root methods still work.

Either way, I'd say root it.

Do you know what your hboot is?

Yes, unfortunately I accepted the previous update to 2.3.5. Before joining AF, I wasn't aware that updating made it harder to root. I'm also not sure how to determine my hboot.

I'm in between the initial steps from the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html because I read that a functional HTC Sync is a prerequisite for the rooting process.

Upvote 0
Almost two months and still no update here in the S.F. Bay Area. :mad:

I had hoped to hang onto the original EVO a little longer with the update but it looks like I'll just take a $65 trade-in against $149 (Amazon Wireless) for a new EVO LTE. :)

I doubt this update alone would keep you on the EVO for much longer if you are already considering an upgrade. If you toggle wifi on and off as you need it like you should you probably won't notice much of a battery life increase.

Upvote 0
COLD Dang - just got a new EVO LTE in the same morning. Good thing I did not activate it, thus deactivating the original EVO and I would never have gotten the update short of a WiFi APK download.

No problems at all. Don't forget to update your PRL and then your PROFILE.

I think I'll keep the original EVO now instead of trading it in for $65. It makes for a good bathroom reader.

S.F. Bay Area

:)

Upvote 0
How do you turn off the optimizer? It's annoying me greatly as I don't have any wifi networks I connect with and it keeps telling me there are some in range (I live in an apartment so that's all day and night).
That's not the optimizer - there's a setting under WiFi to notify of available networks. Just uncheck that box, and no more notification!

But to answer your actual question, the Optimizer toggle is under

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile networks -> Automatic Connections

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Received my update two days ago and installed. The only thing that I noticed is that the option to view youtube videos through either the mobile youtube app or the web when a link is clicked is no longer available. Now if you click a link to a youtube video it defaults to the youtube site which sucks because the videos don't play smoothly when viewed through the website.

Upvote 0
Received my update two days ago and installed. The only thing that I noticed is that the option to view youtube videos through either the mobile youtube app or the web when a link is clicked is no longer available. Now if you click a link to a youtube video it defaults to the youtube site which sucks because the videos don't play smoothly when viewed through the website.

You can thank apple for that

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that can only be fixed by rooting now.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones