• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO 4G recieves OTA update to 4.67.651.3

How should those with ROOTED phones proceed? Cannot accept OTAs.

ROM: MicG 2.61
Kernel: Anthrax

general rule of thumb, no rooted/cooked devices should accept any OTA's. Those device owners should wait for the chefs to cook up a newer ROM with the updates instead.

the discussion for the latest ota will be in the rooting section. here is the link:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/486888-new-ota-4-67-651-3-out-do-not-accept.html

Upvote 0
Android 2.3.5, eh? That should enable Google Talk with video chatting to work then.

Of course, you would need the requisite Google Talk .apk file that has the video chatting functionality included in it. Has anyone tried this out yet?

I can verify that voice/video chat is not included, though I thought it was included after 2.3.4

This google talk .apk file you are talking about, how can I get it and do I need to be rooted?

Upvote 0
I can verify that voice/video chat is not included, though I thought it was included after 2.3.4

This google talk .apk file you are talking about, how can I get it and do I need to be rooted?

Indeed. It was originally enabled in Android 2.3.4, but I was hoping that HTC included it with this update that contains Android 2.3.5.

As for enabling it yourself, you can check out this link here: [APP][ROOT] Google Talk 1.3 with Video calling, Now wifi optional! - xda-developers . It does require root. So, if discussion on this is to continue, a thread should be created for it in the root section.

Upvote 0
Got the update, Portland OR. Voice Mail, Sprint Zone, and Google Search bar all changed. Updates android market app. Noticed my RAM usage dropped from 175mb to 140mb and ICQ is gone. (Unrooted) That's all I noticed so far.

That is good information. It is probably safe to say that the Carrier IQ software used quite a bit of that RAM.

I would imagine the elimination of the Carrier IQ software is also the main cause for better battery life in this update. I am sure people will chime in on that as the update continues to roll out.

Upvote 0
yes guys,
so if you plan on rooting your phones do not accept it. it will change your hboot like mikem0269 said and you will not be able to. who knows if the devs are able to find another exploit to root the phone.

just putting this out there for people who are not rooted yet but are considering rooting your phone. if you have no plans on rooting then by all means go ahead and accept the ota.

Upvote 0
Read some conflicting items about being able to remove bloatware?
can some1 confirm either way?

On positive note - Preliminarily it appears the Sense Reboot bug has been fixed.
I've tested it coming out of the web browser, Facebook app, Gallery (videos).

Need to test if camera bugs (torch mode, lockup reboot) is still there.

Upvote 0
Read some conflicting items about being able to remove bloatware?
can some1 confirm either way?

On positive note - Preliminarily it appears the Sense Reboot bug has been fixed.
I've tested it coming out of the web browser, Facebook app, Gallery (videos).

Need to test if camera bugs (torch mode, lockup reboot) is still there.

the only way to remove bloatware will be to root your phone.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones