• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC EVO 4G Unbrick Guide: Hard-Brick Only (won't turn on or charge).

When I followed the above steps I never got a green light at all. It showed a screen where I could try to reboot the phone. I tried this but it didn't work. I then tried the steps again and still no green light, but this time a pic of my phone came up on the screen with a green arrow pointing down and then two green arrows circling the arrow pointing down. After about 30 second the greens arrows changed to a red arrow pointing down and two red arrows forming a triangle around the arrow pointing down, then did nothing. I took the battery back out again, put the sd card back in this time AND the battery after following the above steps. This time I have the green arrows again, but it's just staying on this screen and not doing anything else. It has been like this for about 5 minutes currently. I am starting to think my phone is done for. =(

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so you can't boot up at all? are you rooted? can you get into recovery? what did you do to get into this state?

Upvote 0
It went through the steps of rebooting so as far as I know I was able to reboot, but it just freezes on the first screen that says HTC EVO 4G. It never goes to the little boxy yellow screen that says just 4G and never fully loads to your main screen. If it does anything other than opening that first screen it brings up the green circle with green arrow and freezes or goes to the green circle with green arrow then goes to the red triangle with red arrow and freezes. I have no idea if I am rooted or not. I am not very techie so when I went to the page about rooting it all confused me. lol

Upvote 0
It went through the steps of rebooting so as far as I know I was able to reboot, but it just freezes on the first screen that says HTC EVO 4G. It never goes to the little boxy yellow screen that says just 4G and never fully loads to your main screen. If it does anything other than opening that first screen it brings up the green circle with green arrow and freezes or goes to the green circle with green arrow then goes to the red triangle with red arrow and freezes. I have no idea if I am rooted or not. I am not very techie so when I went to the page about rooting it all confused me. lol

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!
what were you trying to do when this happened? were you trying to root? if so what process were you using, revolutionary or unrevoked?

Upvote 0
Hi. Does this howto work for EVO 3D?
Regarding step4, you mean hold both button up + down and then place the battery inside. Is it possible placing the battery inside first and then hold both buttons in order to unbrick my phone?

Is it really true we must hold both buttons for 8 minutes?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi. Does this howto work for EVO 3D?
Regarding step4, you mean hold both button up + down and then place the battery inside. Is it possible placing the battery inside first and then hold both buttons in order to unbrick my phone?

Is it really true we must hold both buttons for 8 minutes?

Thanks in advance.
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!
well this will not hurt it if you try. and the whole process should take 8 min. you should only hold the button down from anywhere from 3-5 minutes.

what is exactly happening to your evo 3d?

Upvote 0
I've got a different solution, but you probably won't like it.

Last May I was on vacation in Florida. I was running my rooted, but otherwise stock, EVO plugged into a 12 V power point in the rental car and was running the Navigation app. I don't know how long the battery was burning up, but it was HOT!

When I got up the next morning, it was toast. Wouldn't turn on. When I plugged it in all I got was one vibration and a blinking orange light. Thinking it was a hosed battery I bought a new one, but that didn't help. I spent a few days trying to resurrect that thing, gave up and got a Shift.

Fast forward to last week... my boss asked me if I still had the extra battery, because his was only lasting a couple of hours. Sure, no problem. When I got home I found my old phone, and just for the hell of it I popped the battery in and plugged in the charger. Whudda know? Solid orange light with no vibration! A couple of hours later, I turned it on, and it turned on. Sorry boss, you're not getting the battery.

So that's my solution. Let the phone sit for 8 months. :eek:

Upvote 0
This just worked for me! I thought I burned out my EVO or battery by charging it with my bluetooth electrical charger plug instead of USB charger because I needed some immediate juice to talk on the phone. I KNEW better than to do that - PHONE SHUT DOWN about 30-40min into my convo and I couldn't turn it back on for NADA!
Longer story short, this WORKED and I originally thought it was only for those phones bricked because of being rooted. Woooo, I'm damn excited. Bedtime. Peas.

Upvote 0
So.

Naked = Disassembled? or Battery and back door off? Sorry if thats a dumb question. :thinking:

I read this and bought a evo bricked off of ebay. I will update after I try the method. The guy "claims" he bricked it during a root, so hopefully this works.

If not, no biggy. 50 bucks for a complete housing isn't horrible.

If so, thats a bada$$ tut.

Upvote 0
I've done all of the above to my rooted evo and nothing happens... My phone died and was unable to turn on or get a blinking orange light. I purchased a new battery before reading these posts.. and this isnt working.. any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums!!! :D

What happened to your phone to get it in a "bricked" state?

Sometimes the "how you got there" holds the key to fixing your issue.

Give us a little more info and we'll do what we can to get you rolling. :)

Reactions: Berry and Rxpert83
Upvote 0
My phone completely died before I was able to get it on my car charger. Once I finally got it on the charger in started in blink orange. So I left it. When I came back there was no light on the phone. I pulled the battery and it began to blink again. Same thing. Except this time nothing will come on. Everything was working well up until this point.

Upvote 0
My phone completely died before I was able to get it on my car charger. Once I finally got it on the charger in started in blink orange. So I left it. When I came back there was no light on the phone. I pulled the battery and it began to blink again. Same thing. Except this time nothing will come on. Everything was working well up until this point.

Ok, I've seen this before, strange thing is, you've tried another battery an no go. :thinking:

Do you have an external charger? Maybe an old htc phone like the Hero, that uses the same battery and you can charge it in that phone?

Usually we'll see this when a member drains the battery all the way while in recovery. Recovery doesn't have the kernel there to tell the phone to shut off before the battery completely discharges. Then it gets "confused" because the battery is too low and it won't charge. I assume it's a safety measure written into the code, but I have no idea why. :thinking:
See if you can get the battery charged with an external and give it a go from there. Also it can't hurt to take it in to a store and see if the batteries are any good. They can test them to see if they are damaged. ;)

Reactions: Berry
Upvote 0
The battery was charged in an old touch pro 2.. battery is good

Very strange, I've never heard of a phone dieing like this before. :thinking:

I would at this point, take it in to a store. I would leave out the rooted business, just in case. Sprint really doesn't get upset about rooted devices anymore, but ocasionally you'll find a tech who is on a power trip and will tell you to pound salt if they suspect the phone is rooted. ;)

I'm sorry my friend, try to get them to replace it. :(

Upvote 0
If the phone won't turn on they'll have no clue its rooted, and once they get it to turn on snatch that baby and run :p

Like this:
forrestrunningtojonathan.jpg

:D

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Ok.. Got this evo off ebay, guy "claims" he bricked while trying to root..

no further explanation.

So

The computer will do its usual usb beep when its plugged on.. Tried the above steps, obviously they didn't work for me, which is why im posting.. from my experience, or little knowledge i have, if the computer is detecting it in some way or another... (detects drivers for qualcom) then the phone must still have some life in it.. anyways, i downloaded a ruu to try to see if that can do any magic for me.. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

Upvote 0
Ok.. Got this evo off ebay, guy "claims" he bricked while trying to root..

no further explanation.

So

The computer will do its usual usb beep when its plugged on.. Tried the above steps, obviously they didn't work for me, which is why im posting.. from my experience, or little knowledge i have, if the computer is detecting it in some way or another... (detects drivers for qualcom) then the phone must still have some life in it.. anyways, i downloaded a ruu to try to see if that can do any magic for me.. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

we need more info. does it turn on? can you boot into the bootloader? power off (or pull the battery out) then press and hold power+vol down. let us know if you can and also what it says on the the bootloader screen.

Upvote 0
Sorry.. I thought I updated that post..

Heres the situation..

This was a ebay purchase.. I'm addicted to fixing these phones, and i've decided to move into the harder fixes..

Anyways.. the guy i got it off "bricked" it by trying to flash a rom, I think it was twrp, but not certain. $50.00 bucks, figured its worth a shot..

So. The steps above, get the phone to vibrate and flash green lights, but no picture on the screen... Tried to remove battery, left it out for a while, put battery back in, plugged in, nothing...

I've done this probably 100 times in the last 3 days... Same results each time..

I'm at the point now of looking into a jtag service to resurrect it...

It wont boot into hboot, wont boot into os, wont charge, wont turn on... but the computer does detect it when plugged in...battery or not... so i know its not dead..

If there is any other solution then jtagging, im all ears, or eyes... whatever...

If I could get it to hboot, I would just flash it back to stock.. but unfortunately, that is not an option..

I talked to HTC technical support, and they said if ADB can detect it, theres a good chance of recovery.. unfortunately I am 100% INEXPERIENCED with ADB..

Advice??

Thank You

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones