• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO 4G Vs. DROID Incredible

Which one is better?

• HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 51 30.4%
  • HTC DROID Incredible

Votes: 104 61.9%
  • Still deciding

Votes: 13 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HTC EVO 4G
4.3" TFT screen
8mp back cam/1.3 mp front cam
Record and Watch 720p videos
Sprint WiMax 4G (Where Available)
Mobile Hotsot
HDMI-Out
Kickstand

HTC DROID Incredible
3.7" AMOLED screen
8mp back cam
8 gb intenal memory

(Didn't add anything they both have)

So why the DROID Incredible?
The EVO 4G is just a bigger Incredible with more features. It think the Incredible is as wide as I'd like my phone--but who knows--and I'm not with Sprint, I'm with Verizon and their coverage is just better here. In two years there will be a phone better than the EVO (Droid Evolution, perhaps?) so... yeah.

Upvote 0
I'm a little concerned about the fact that the resolution is not really bumped up to compensate for the larger screen. So text will be larger, but your not really getting any more real-estate (think of a 20 inch monitor running at like 1440x900 resolution).

I think they are hitting the maximum on how wide I would want my phone to be.

And yes, I think the kickstand seems more gimmicky then useful.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
HTC EVO 4G
4.3" TFT screen
8mp back cam/1.3 mp front cam
Record and Watch 720p videos
Sprint WiMax 4G (Where Available)
Mobile Hotsot
HDMI-Out
Kickstand

HTC DROID Incredible
3.7" AMOLED screen
8mp back cam
8 gb intenal memory

(Didn't add anything they both have)

So why the DROID Incredible?

Your "pros" might be considered cons by others:

4.3" screen --- I want a PHONE, not a tablet in my pocket
1.3MP camera --- um, what for? I don't use skype
Sprint --- enough said. That alone is the single biggest con. I don't care what phone it is, Sprint needs to fix their network.
Wimax --- FAKE 4G, limited availability in an already limited network
Mobile hotspot --- We just need root. Not to mention that tethering, whether wired or not, is limited or you get slapped around by your carrier
HDMI --- explain to me again why I'm going to hook my tablet phone up to a TV?
Kickstand --- alright, this actually would be useful

I personally prefer the smaller size of the Incredible and lighter weight. I tried using the HTC HD2 in a store with one hand and found it difficult to near impossible.

Upvote 0
front facing 1.3mp camera = doesnt make sense really because there is no video calling, and no-one is going to take pics with that.
sprint 4g = not everwhere and sprints network is not everywhere
720p video = incredible video is pretty good, and professional cameramen are not going to use a phone
mobile hotspot = somewhat of a gain, again crippled by sprints network. also easy tether ftw
hdmi out = somewhat of a gain, but not many really use the phone as a tv media device

now comparing that to

verizon network = best in class sound and best 3g coverage nationwide.

htc incredible wins.

Upvote 0
I left AT&T due to network and wanting a phone that could effectively surf the web. The DI and EVO both do this, but with the DI I get a better network and smaller form factor. Both are a bonus to me.

Amen!! Had Verizon years ago (samsung i700 anyone?) and hated it, but they are so much better now. Left ATT for Verizon and couldn't be happier.

Son just got the HD2 (same as Evo only winmo), so very nice, but way too big!! I just moved from Eris to DI and couldn't be happier, perfect form factor, size and blazing speed.

Had Sprint several years ago and never again, very limited.

Just my .02, love Big Red and the DI.

Upvote 0
I love the Incredible, but just a little advice. By taking a poll in a section of the forum specified for the Incredible most of your votes are going to be for the Incredible.

True.

I would almost everyone here with an Incredible already knew about the Evo 4G prior to purchasing the Incredible. It's not like Sprint selling it was some big shocker to any of us. Before the Incredible was even for sell the specs and network of the Evo 4G were leaked.

Obviously everyone here weighed their options and opted for the Incredible. I'm actually loving this phone more and more as time goes on. And the shape and style are really growing on me. The only thing that still annoys me....battery life. NOW if the Evo is touting BETTER battery life than the Incredible with it's larger TFT screen AND Wimax...that would be incredible. Until then, I'm holding out for the 2150 extended battery and then all will be will be solved.

:D

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Incredible going to get 720p video via an update? Either way I won't care, but I thought that's what I heard.

I kind of hope so. I'm sure some people don't care about 720p, but that is one thing that initially drew me to the Evo 4G. The only thing is no one has mentioned the frame rate of the 720p on the Evo, is it <25fps? If it's going to be recording at some ridiculously low frame rate like 16fps then HTC might as well left it out.

Upvote 0
Ok, serously! The EVO IS SICK...its going to be a real boost for Sprint when it drops soon. however I will say this, I had the HD2 from t-mobile for a short time when it was released, and as awesome as it was, even with that crappy WM6.0, The battery life was wretched..and I mean just straight terrible. As someone said earlier on this thread, u think we got it bad, wait till those posts start flowin in for the EVO'S battery life. And i'll take the incredible screen over the EVO'S any day of the week. 720 recording and HD quality recording to watch movies on does not interest me at all, its what I have a 60 inch Samsung for, and the cameras are the same... so I'd say it would matter what carrier your on and how u feel about the size...its a monster, but as I said, it's gonna do Sprint very well this summer, let's hope there network has gotten better!

Upvote 0
while people say the 4.3" screen is an advantage, I consider it a disadvantage.

Yes, the smaller the display, the more people will want it....

Size does mater. Really. Not even talking about phones...

Battery life I assume will be worse, but this is yet to be known.

It's an HTC phone. They will dump more 1300 mAh batteries on us. Maybe blue this time...

The front facing camera is only useful once most other people have the same. For the distant future, that will not be the case.

Right, because you don't know anyone who owns a laptop with a built in camera to chat with. We are not all so socially isolated...

720p recording is useless to me.

And you admit it? Ha Ha. No talent or imagination?

Upvote 0
Yes, the smaller the display, the more people will want it....

Size does mater. Really. Not even talking about phones...

Considering how many people in this thread alone have stated they find the 4.3" screen makes the phone too big, I would argue your point has little merit.

It's an HTC phone. They will dump more 1300 mAh batteries on us. Maybe blue this time...

You just proved my point. If they use the same battery (even if they use one with a higher capacity), considering the bigger screen and more under the hood, the battery life is certain to be worse than the Incredible.

Right, because you don't know anyone who owns a laptop with a built in camera to chat with. We are not all so socially isolated...

I can assure you social isolation is not a problem. However, considering how many people I know with cameras on their laptops and how infrequently anyone ever uses video chat, I do not see it taking off so quickly such that waiting the 20 months until the next upgrade will make much of a difference on that front.

And you admit it? Ha Ha. No talent or imagination?

Admit what? That the EVO 4G has 720p? You got me! You win...

I'm sure many people would like to have 720p recording on their phone. That said, I can nearly guarantee you, of the general consumer public, a very small minority would ever take advantage of it.

And anyway, I merely stated I would have little interest in 720p capability. If my phone has it, great. I'll use it 3 times over the next 20 months. If not, my life certainly will go on.

The OP asked what WE individually thought was better about the Incredible. I answered. Is there any particular reason you're trying to be a jackass?

Reactions: rabernet
Upvote 0
One of the things that annoyed me the most about my Droid was the weight, and the evo's weight is identical (6 oz). And the "4g" coverage is literally nowhere I would ever have any intent on ever visiting. And I never want to every video chat with anyone. If i can use my phone as an excuse to not have to, then all the better.

Upvote 0
The evo is going to be a kick ass phone. I would get it for all the features that it has. but not with sprint. if it was coming to big red. I would get it. Some people say its too big, and that's their opinion that they are entitled to. for me I think that 4.3 inch screen would be awesome.720p video recording would be great for those times when I'm not carrying around a camera, and I never do. Overall I think the evo will sell big time. but don't get the phone thinking you are really going to be taking advantage of sprint 4g. by the time they finally get good wimax coverage here their will be better phones out that support LTE on big reds network.

in all honesty I think sprint jumped the gun and is trying to get as many new customers as possible. and by selling the evo and advertising it as the first 4g phone available anywhere, they will attract a lot of attention. and a lot of new customers. the average consumer is not going to be tech savvy enough to care about the snapdragon processor or exactly what type of touch screen is being used for the phone.

Upvote 0
Has anyone heard of any durability problems with the HD2 screen since it will be the same on the EVO 4G?

Do you think that since the TFT screen is less durable in general and it is .6" larger there might be problems?
Almost every touchscreen phone and a lot of other devices use TFT LCD's, it's a widely accepted standard. There isn't really any difference in durability from other display types.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
The EVO is on Sprint. The only real feature that stands out is the ability for it to use 4G. Sprint + WiMax = Failsauce. This faux 4G really annoys the hell out of me and I wish someone would sue them over their misuse of it. Ugh.

Poor advertising aside, the area for 4G is just sad. Go look at the maps. If they rolled it out to 200% more people, they still wouldn't cover a an eighth of the US.

The phone looks great, has a spec sheet to die for but on that network and with the limited area of the 4G that makes the phone so special... no thanks. I'd much rather enjoy the Incredible and hold out for Verizon to bring something on board with their LTE.

Upvote 0
I think it'll be an awesome phone. But as with any system, it's only as good as its weakest link, and in this case, the network. Sprint sucks here and it's not really a true 4G connection.

A lot of people are saying it's so much bigger than the DI. I'm not sure that it is looking here:Verizon Droid Incredible vs. Sprint Evo 4G vs. Google Nexus One -- Spec fight! | Android Central
It's only 0.3 in wider than the DI.

Recording 720p @ 20fps is a little disappointing.

I Skype with a ton of people, so a front facing camera would've been a welcomed feature on the DI for me. It's only a matter of time before video calls becomes more 'normal', imo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones