• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO always transmitting data - help!

sykartpro

Lurker
Jun 9, 2010
Hey guys! I'm having an issue with my EVO. I normally keep 4g, GPS and wifi disabled, I don't use the bluetooth and until today I haven't used task killer at all. My battery life without 4g turned on at all is roughly 8 - 10 hours. I don't talk much or send texts much...

I started using Advanced Task Killer (ATK) today, it's been showing that things like sprint football, amazon mp3 store, and other such items which I never touch are running. So, I would kill the applications, and maybe all of 20 minutes later they're running again.

So, I stopped all unnecessary applications including ATK and what I've been noticing for the past few days is still going on... What I'm noticing is that 3g is always transmitting something... I attempted to see if killing all running applications would stop it, but no, 3g still keeps transmitting... I think that this is what is causing the severe battery drain.

My questions are....
1) How do I get rid of those stupid stock apps that run automatically as there is no uninstall button for them under the applications manager?

2) Does anyone have any idea why 3g is always transmitting up and down almost non-stop...?

3) Does anyone have any ideas of increasing the battery life... I've already reduced my screen brightness to 10%, turned the screen timeout down to 15 seconds, and disabled all window animations. I've removed bookmarks and friendstream widgets, I've deleted all unnecessary accounts such as stocks and news since I don't use those.

I think I may have found the culprit. It's actually google's contact/calendar/gmail sync. If you look in your sync settings, you'll see that there is no option to set this to sync on a schedule and it appears that the contacts on my phone were updating pretty much continually. I stopped the contact syncing, rebooted the phone and now my 3G is greyed out most of the time. I sure hope this is the final solution.

Upvote 0
I think I may have found the culprit. It's actually google's contact/calendar/gmail sync. If you look in your sync settings, you'll see that there is no option to set this to sync on a schedule and it appears that the contacts on my phone were updating pretty much continually. I stopped the contact syncing, rebooted the phone and now my 3G is greyed out most of the time. I sure hope this is the final solution.

Testing a method now, Under settings , then Wireless&networks, then Mobile networks, I unchecked "Enable always-on mobile data". Havent see my traffic lights come on since...

I am still able to text and surf web. (edit) And sent picture mail and check Gmail via the Mail app.

Hmmm.

Upvote 0
Testing a method now, Under settings , then Wireless&networks, then Mobile networks, I unchecked "Enable always-on mobile data". Havent see my traffic lights come on since...

I am still able to text and surf web. (edit) And sent picture mail and check Gmail via the Mail app.

Hmmm.

I see that but if you take that off, you get no updates including e-mails unless the phone is actually on i.e. when it's setting there, you're not getting any e-mails and nothing is updating. I can't go that route, at the very least I need my corporate e-mail to sync asap.

Upvote 0
Not to revive a dead thread...

but last night i noticed my 3g was going nuts, downloaded a 3g watchdog, and finally just started trouble shooting. I opened up my acounts and sync (as mentioned above) and my G mail account, under contacts... has been syncing for over 16 hours...
WTF.
i have re booted, hard restart, turn off mobile data and that solves it, the second it is turned back on g mail goes bonkers... what gives.

EDIT: fixed, by removing the account, then re doing. Sucks, but w.e.

Upvote 0
Another thing to check is the "Talk" app for google talk. By default, it logs you in and maintains your presence for google chat.

However, you can sign-out of talk, without affecting gmail or any other google networked applications. Run talk, go to menu settings, and uncheck the automatic login box. Then sign out of talk (menu option, sign out).

By signing out of google Talk, your phone won't continuously update the network information regarding your google talk contacts.

Upvote 0
^^^^^^^Does Qik run into this issue, also?

An issue i just noticed, related to my Sync issue or not, was that the XDA app was signed it, an it was pulling data, all damn day. I am positive i forgot to log it out, so it is not the fault of the aplication, but rather, forgetful user.
:cool:

I try to troubleshoot apps that i download, and i removed all of them but that one, then removed it, and what the eff, data stopped.

Upvote 0
Go to Airplane mode to stop transmissions. Then go back to normal and see what's turning itself on. I've found so many apps that seem like they must automatically turn themselves on when GPS/geo signal is detected.

From the main menu Settings-Applications-Running Services lists the suspects. There are a lot of HTC items in there that could be the culprit too.

This is why I think "bloatware" should be renamed "it-blows-ware."

Reactions: cabrone
Upvote 0
Go to Airplane mode to stop transmissions. Then go back to normal and see what's turning itself on. I've found so many apps that seem like they must automatically turn themselves on when GPS/geo signal is detected.

From the main menu Settings-Applications-Running Services lists the suspects. There are a lot of HTC items in there that could be the culprit too.

This is why I think "bloatware" should be renamed "it-blows-ware."

Thanks. I have WiMAX Notifier, Juice Defender, Calendar (Sync, has been syncing for over a day and a half now, seems like (the symbol will not go away)), News and Weather (which i cannot get to stop turning on, even though i have removed my location from it and i have told it not to sync), and Voicemail (i left out some that i understand, such as touch input)

WTF, why is news and weather on and why is the damn Calendar been syncing for over 36 hours?
I have pulled the battery, i have auto synced, i have removed background data, turned airplane mode on, and off, and it turns right back on, it is stuck on something...
argh

Upvote 0
Thanks. I have WiMAX Notifier, Juice Defender, Calendar (Sync, has been syncing for over a day and a half now, seems like (the symbol will not go away)), News and Weather (which i cannot get to stop turning on, even though i have removed my location from it and i have told it not to sync), and Voicemail (i left out some that i understand, such as touch input)

WTF, why is news and weather on and why is the damn Calendar been syncing for over 36 hours?
I have pulled the battery, i have auto synced, i have removed background data, turned airplane mode on, and off, and it turns right back on, it is stuck on something...
argh

I noticed something today... For the First Time my battery has been draining like crazy. Went from 91% to 69% in just over an hour sending only 5 text messages. Last night I installed WiMax Notifier just before plugging in and going to bed and that is the only thing I installed yesterday. It seems that WN turned my Always on Data back on as well as reenabled Stocks, News, and Weather Syncing which I had previously had turned off. And same issue with my Calendar continuing to sync. Could just be a coincidence but I have uninstalled WiMAX Notifier and am charging up. Then I am going to reboot and test. I will repost in a bit.

Upvote 0
Hi,

VERY new to this board. Saw an article about ipads, iphones, and even HTC androids transmitting data without the users knowledge.

Is there ANY way to prevent this? I am not doing any illegal, but I already have concerns about Google and privacy. What can we do to prevent our androids from reporting our whereabouts and data to google?

Upvote 0
Hi,

VERY new to this board. Saw an article about ipads, iphones, and even HTC androids transmitting data without the users knowledge.

Is there ANY way to prevent this? I am not doing any illegal, but I already have concerns about Google and privacy. What can we do to prevent our androids from reporting our whereabouts and data to google?

No, this is an example of people not understanding Android. They are talking about apps updating themselves because people haven't figured out how to change the data schedule for certain apps which isn't rocket science.

Reactions: KENNECTED
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones