1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC EVO and Wi-Fi - Error

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Brynn88, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Brynn88

Brynn88 Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Nurse
    Florida
    Hello. I am new to this website, I also do not know much about the technicals of my phone...So please bare with me. Sprint seems to be having a hard time understanding my problem as I have explained it numerous times to them, so I have resorted looking for help elsewhere.

My HTC Evo Wi-Fi is not working. The Wi-Fi used to locate the wireless internet in my home, so I was able to connect and browse the internet from my phone without using Sprint's network. I realized it was not working when I tried to upload a video to my PC via Wi-Fi and I kept getting an "Error". This is very frustrating to me because I have contacted Sprint several times regarding this issue, and all they tell me is that I need to purchase Sprint hotspot for $29.99 or completely wipe my phone. They even told me that wiping my phone MAY or MAY NOT fix the problem. My brother's (in the same household) have Evo's as well, and with our phones side by side, their Evo's wi-fi works perfectly in locating and connecting, while mine will only say Error. I have never done anything fancy with my phone, like rooting it or anything. It is just the plain factory with apps and pictures of mine. I also did the gingerbread update yesterday, but the wi-fi was still not working before then.

Can anyone else give me some insight into this? I hardly find anything else on the searches about it. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    have you tried to power off, wait 10 seconds, then reboot? sometimes that works. if not then, you may want to try and do a hard reset. other then that you may want to have a sprint tech take a look at it.

Brynn88 likes this.
  3. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Does your phone have wifi turned on? Menu --> Settings --> Wireless & Networks --> Wi-Fi box is checked

If it is not checked, then check it.

If it is checked, then select the option in the menu just below it that says Wi-Fi settings. Does the name of your home network Wi-Fi listed here?

If it is listed here and you have the appropriate password input, then it should say Connected just underneath the name of your home network.

If it does not say Connected, then you need to click on your home network and enter in the necessary info.

Brynn88 likes this.
  4. Brynn88

Brynn88 Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Nurse
    Florida

Thanks for the replies. When I check the Wi-Fi box it says "Turning on..." and then never turns on and says "Error". I have the Nework Notification box checked to notify me when an open network is available and....the Wi-Fi sleep policy is set to 'Never'..

5. Brynn88

Brynn88 Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Nurse
    Florida
    Hey guys - Thanks for all of your help. I was on the phone with Sprint Customer Service all day long. They walked me through updates and two hard resets that were unsuccessful at erasing the content. They told me numerous times to take it in to a repair center, and then i'd hang up and call back. Finally I was transferred to Advanced Tech Support, she walked me through a hard reset that was successful at wiping everything but my WiFi was still not finding any networks around me or turning on. So ultimately, they told me they are sending me a brand new, unrefurbished Evo for free in the mail. (I have to return the defective one of course.) SO.... Anyone else having the same WiFi issue as I was having, call Sprint and bug them about it...Maybe they will send you a new phone for free.?

6. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Sorry you couldn't get it fixed, but for getting a brand new phone congratulations, especially since you didn't have it rooted or anything.

7. eastwop

eastwop Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    EVO GINGERBREAD WIFI Problem and a resolution..

I noticed yesterday that the 2 EVOs in my family were not connecting the my home network after I did the Gingerbread update.
    It seems that this is related to the loss of wireless N support.
    I have two routers - one G and one N - and the N was what always connected (until Gingerbread)

I just fixed my problem by removing BOTH (i.e. 'forgetting' them)
    and then reconnecting to JUST to the Wireless G network.

My conclusion is that with the old settings, EVO was trying to connect to the N all the time - so I just got cycling of scanning...connection.. disconnected.

So, it appears, at least from this experience that by eliminating the N wireless network connection I had, the G wireless network was now found OK.

(I am not sure what the status of wireless N support actually is - but clearly its not working for me....)

8. dadto5

dadto5 Lurker
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Was a pilot-now a Stay@home dad
    New Castle, DE
    Your phone was dropped. The WiFi/Bluetooth/hot spot are all the same internal antenna. It is held into the mother board with pressure connecters. This us a different antenna than the phone uses to make calls.

I know this because the same thing happened to me. WiFi stopped working after my autistic son threw my EVO against the wall. The screen cracked and WiFi and blue tooth stopped working. When I split the case the antenna fell out.

9. akhilez

akhilez Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2012
    so if i open the evo and reattach the antenna then everything will be fine? what kind of solder do you recommend using?

Tags: