• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC EVO Design 4G - All Carriers - Root guide

I had this problem too. I disconnected the usb cable then reconnected, re ran fastboot and everything worked fine.

I'm trying to root my Htc Evo Design 4g (Boost Mobile) and when I try to do the first part from Htc dev I'm receiving this error..

I've downloaded and installed Google Android SDK, HTC Sync and I had Java already installed

We're sorry, but it appears your attempt to unlock the bootloader on this device has failed. This could be caused by several factors including simple errors in the entry of the unlock token, problems with your device, or a lack of manufacturer support for the unlocking process. Please see the specific error code listed below, and try again if necessary.

Error Code: Invalid Bootloader Token Length.
Error Reason: The submitted Token appears to be the wrong length and won't work.

Upvote 0
richardjas4444 - If you want to flash custom ROMs and create back ups of your phone, go straight to CWM.

braxton355 - I still have not gotten around to messing around with the utility from 2fast. If you're having issues with it, and have made sure you followed any directions to the letter, try unlocking through the HTC site.

pancho32392 - Don't have time to look through the HTC site right now, just quickly answering a few questions. What is the main gist of step 5?

Upvote 0
Step Two: Place those two zip folders (do not unzip) on the root of your SD card.
Step Three: Enter ClockWorkMod, as explained in chapter four, part two, step two.
Step Four: Wipe your phone clean as explained in chapter four, part two, step four.
Step Five: Flash your ROM and kernel as explained in chapter four, part two, steps five and six. Make sure you flash the ROM before the kernel.
Step Six: Reboot your phone, wait about five minutes, then restore the back up you made with either TB or MobileGo, mentioned at the bottom of the first post.

I have both zip files on my phone.
I repower and go to recovery and am in CWM
I have done all the wipe stuff.
I select "install zip from sdcard"
Select "choose zip from sd"
scroll to the zip file, select it, hit the power button.
Screen says installing update...

then

installation aborted.

I am stumped.

Upvote 0
richardjas4444 - I sent you a pm

aloharover - any chance you re-locked your bootloader after flashing ClockWorkMod? I don't know if it affects it, but that could be your problem. Really not sure. I'm not a dev, so I might suggest either presenting your issue in the appropriate section on the 2fastroms.com webstie (on that site our device is referred to as the Hero S), or sending a message to 2fast4u88.

Upvote 0
I'll try to help you guys out with your issues in a minute. Just wanted to update that I'll probably not be as active in this device's forums for a while. Phone got stolen yesterday, and I was the phone rooting dumbass who decided they wouldn't be paying for protection on their $300 phone. Haven't lost or broken a phone in over five years, guess I was just due to get that bad luck again.

Upvote 0
I'll try to help you guys out with your issues in a minute. Just wanted to update that I'll probably not be as active in this device's forums for a while. Phone got stolen yesterday, and I was the phone rooting dumbass who decided they wouldn't be paying for protection on their $300 phone. Haven't lost or broken a phone in over five years, guess I was just due to get that bad luck again.

That's very unfortunate to hear man. Yeah keep me and the others with questions posted I'm very interested in rooting my phone. I like what you guys are all trying to do here!

Upvote 0
I have tried that guide the only problem I have is after downloading the SDK files needed (SDK tools, etc) there where two I believe. And I have searched high and low trying to find them because I need three other files from those (fastboot, etc). But I can't find the two I downloaded on SDK manager it says there installed but doesn't let me browse the downloaded files. I tried for three or so days and gave up and tried your 2fast tool but that always says "couldn't find specific path".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones