I have an HTC Evo running Froyo. My Exchange e-mail had been working perfectly both before and after I updated to Froyo over-the-air from Sprint. Yesterday, my Evo stopped receiving inbound e-mails. Nothing changed on the Exchange server (running Windows SBS 2003; no updates, crashes or anything else changed) and I did not download any new apps to the Evo. The Evo can send Exchange e-mails, but it will not receive an inbound Exchange e-mail. New e-mails are present in my laptop's Outlook 2003 in box, but they do not appear in the Evo's in box. I have tried restarting the server (3 times), powering down the phone (even removing the battery) and deleting the Exchange account and re-adding it. When I re-added the Exchange account to the Evo, new e-mails from my Outlook in box hit the Evo and it transferred over my Outlook calendar and my contacts, but no new e-mails hit the Evo. I tried several test e-mails from my gmail account and although they hit the laptop Outlook in box, they don't hit the Evo. Sprint support said to go to Outlook Tools and check the box that tells Outlook to save a copy of the e-mail on the server. That option is not available under the advanced settings in my Outlook (perhaps that option is only for POP3 or IMAP accounts and not Exchange). I have spent almost 6 hours trying to fix this and I am starting to pull my hair out. HELP!!!! I need remote access to my Exchange e-mail!!!!