1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC EVO Handbrake Settings with Video

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shadrap, May 28, 2010.

1. cesjr02

cesjr02 Android Enthusiast

Hmm, yeah my suggested settings above worked for one DVD rip but not another. Go figure. I wonder why some people are not having problems at all and others (like us) are having so many issues.

Could operating system be a factor after all? I'm on a Mac. Anyone else have issues when using OSX?

2. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

I forget to hit the submit button before I left the house this morning.
    Here's the message:
    This is a Windows issue. Video did NOT work.
    This is a bummer. I at least have the option to rip the DVD then boot back into Linux to encode it. I hate being in Windows now. :ack:

3. Streaks

Streaks Member

I'm on windows 7 so it doesn't look like it's OS specific. Gonna try with something other than Handbrake soon.

4. Update: I have got the h.264 encoding working on the evo with handbrake by using this guide. It worked first time. I didn't mess with any of the advanced setting, but I tweaked the audio settings from 48k to 44.1 and from Dolby Pro Logic to Stereo. I left the frame rate at "source" and fiddled with the average bit rate. I'm using a low resolution source, only 386x272, so at a bitrate of 312 or 384 it came out looking crisp on my evo.

I ended up with a 45 min episode taking up 180 mb. No problem to put a couple seasons on the standard 8gb card.

Cheers and good luck.

Oh, just make sure you start with the "Ipod Legacy" preset in handbreak like the guide says and you'll be fine.

5. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

Any of you guys having problems have any codec packs installed?

I have none on mine. My Windows install is XPsp3.

6. cesjr02

No codec packs installed that I'm aware of. I just downloaded the handbrake for mac from the official handbrake site.

7. cesjr02

Works beautifully, thanks for the guide.

That's basically the settings I've tried except I didn't start with the ipod legacy preset. I wonder what the difference is?

8. smi77y

smi77y Lurker

My video's are creating fine. However, I'm getting noise bars, the video is unplayable except in certain spots in the video. By noise bars I mean tons of pixely colors, similar to if your antenna can't pick up a signal well.

Anyone know what the deal is with this? I've followed all "standard" settings. And the video is creating fine. I'm ripping from dvd by selecting source - then my E: (dvd) drive.

I've tried multiple different settings and ripped 4 dvds so far. No luck at all.

9. cesjr02

Did you try the settings posted by onetree? I had issues with all the other suggested settings.

10. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

Try MediaCoder iPod edition. I used that quite a bit when i used windows. It makes good quality rips of DVDs and converts other formats, even does batch encoding easily.
    Takes some setting initial setting to get it where i like it.

11. boliviano3

boliviano3 Member

What settings did you use?

12. Streaks

Streaks Member

I finally got mine working :D I think the biggest issue I had was leaving the "large file size" option checked. Since unchecking that they've all worked ok....at least I think that was the issue. :D

13. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

That would be a big mistake. glad you found the problem.

14. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

I'm having a problem with the last movie I encoded. Rambo. Got it by mistake ):
    I have to RIP in in windows, encoded with the same settings, works in VLC, doesn't work on the Evo.

Back to playing and find out why.

15. Selfdestruct

Selfdestruct Well-Known Member

How have people done with testing encodings

When i convert all my movies in handbrake i want to be able to have them play backable on HDMI connection and look good and not just EVO

I need to get an HDMI cable still to do tests

I ran a generic itouch format with "Up in the Air" and it looks just fine with EVO -- fills screen etc

next question is getting it to look good on hdmi to big tv?

16. RedsGT

RedsGT Well-Known Member

Here's one I made from a 1080p Avatar Trailer. It's 720p, x264, 6 Mbps Bitrate. Used handbrake.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1138408/Avatar-trailer-1.mp4

Looks pretty over HDMI.:D

17. Selfdestruct

18. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

Still trying to figure out why my preset's not working. One more encode to tell.

I will say that there's no difference on the Pre watching an FFmpeg encoded video vs. a H.264 encoded one.

Easiest settings possible for good results:

• iPhone & iPod Touch preset
    • Change resolution to "Optimal for source"
    • Turn off Auto Crop
    • Encode

File sizes are tiny too.

19. Selfdestruct

im working on re encoding my apple tv files

running 1 test now to see if i can get it to play on EVO

nothing like waiting for an encode to finish

20. mrk

mrk Android Enthusiast

Anybody know how to get anamorphic videos working? I have some seasons of Doctor Who that have a resolution of 720x5xx, but the actual display resolution is 1024x5xx. I can't seem to convert this to an 800-wide video and keep the proper aspect ratio--it turns decidedly more square because it doesn't stretch the picture to the display resolution from the native resolution. Any ideas?

21. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

That's an odd resolution. Are you cropping out the black bars?
    If you do it will stretch the video vertically on playback.
    Try keeping the bars although that will probably cause some weirdplayback itself. No clue where the height would come out.

22. Selfdestruct

How to convert videos and transfer them to the HTC EVO 4G - Know Your Cell

Converted Iron Man last night before bed using the above guide --- plays back great on EVO -- this supposedly should playback good on TV too but i have my doubts -- if someone could test something and report back?

Where has everyone gotten their HDMI cable i refuse to pay the 30 bucks sprint / bb are trying to get from us lol

Online still seems very sparce as to who has them --

Thanks

23. Selfdestruct

If anyone is willing to way some more days for a more reasonably priced HDMI cable

I just bought one from here

Micro HDMI High Speed Male to Male 5Ft Cable HTC EVO 4G - eBay (item 160438986842 end time Jun-26-10 05:27:56 PDT)

13 bucks with free shipping compared to 30 + tax from sprint or BB

Makes me sad sprint did not include this with the phone -- a cable standard that is not widely used and force us to buy their marked up bullshit accessory

costs them 2 dollars they sell for 30 PROFIT sorry sprint NO THANKS!

24. cesjr02

Still waiting for monoprice to stock them for 2-3 bucks.

25. Selfdestruct

Yea i would wait too but i wanna get testing encoding styles haha

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews