1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Evo original clock/weather widget issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by akao1029, May 13, 2011.

1. akao1029

akao1029 Lurker
    None

May 13, 2011
    Hello, fellow android owners. Well I recently just got my HTC evo. I originally purchased a black evo and then ended up exchanging it for a white one a few days later. So here is my issue, my black evo always displayed my location and was always accurate besides the sun is still out at 10 at night and vice vesa (moon out at 9am in the morning) I did some researching and I guess its normal. But im curious if there was a way to fix that issue? Now my other issue (bothers me the most) is my white evo constantly cant find my location and keeps displaying "current location". So I was hoping someone can help me with that. BTW this may help... GPS is off, location is ticked to current location. Same setting I had on my black evo which never had a problem but my white one is ******ed and cant seem to even find my location. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Advertisement

2. Stepitup

None

May 11, 2011
    The clock/weather widget will display the sun or moon based on how often you have the weather widget set to update. If you turn off WiFi, 3G, or 4G the widget won't update the weather until you turn on one of those data sources. In order for the widget to always display the right information it has to be set to update frequently and with a data source.

I always go into the weather widget and add my city. Sometimes it displays the wrong city but it reverts back to the city I added. I think the weather/clock widget gets confused about the weather and this could happen because the weather site the widget pulls from could be down or not reporting accurate weather. Weather stations do go down sometimes. When that happens the widget diverts to a different weather source. Your location problem is tied into the weather in my opinion. Because the location the clock displays is for the weather in your city. If the app can't determine the weather it messes up the city.

3. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Male
    security and surveillance and finance
    Windy City of Chicago
    I get current city or location when I am moving fast like now on the train or when I have gps option disabled. I really do not like Google tracking where I go and have it available to share when someone wants it. It's a matter of privacy for me.

To fix if problems set if weather to update more often from the accounts and sync menu and turn on ur gps function and u should be fine.

4. Stepitup

None

May 11, 2011
    I disagree because the HTC clock does not work in conjunction with the GPS. If you went to a different city and left the GPS off and just turned on mobile data the phone will update itself because you just connected to a network in a particular city.

5. akao1029

akao1029 Lurker
    None

May 13, 2011
    I have it set to update every hour. My wifi, 3g, gps, etc... is all off but my data usage ticker thing is one. My black evo had the same settings and it never had an issue finding my location.

6. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Male
    security and surveillance and finance
    Windy City of Chicago
    You know I am completely ok with being corrected especially when I don't know what I am talking about but when you have not read the original post I don't understand what the point in correcting is. We are not talking about the clock but about the weather part or the widget. The best update when it concerns weather widget is when the gps is on because it updates it to your current geographical coordinates instead of the cell tower which you are currently connected. The tower can be in another city and sometime it will show current location because u are moving quite fast between towers and cannot pinpoint the location.

7. Stepitup

None

May 11, 2011
    He is talking about the clock/weather widget! You realize the clock/weather widget has nothing to do with the GPS right? If that was the case my weather would always be wrong because I never turn on my GPS. The weather app will automatically divert to the closest town to my city when the weather station or website has problems.

Secondly, the phones can use Wifi or 3G to determine your location. GPS isn't even necessary. Third, cell phones utilize triangulation to pinpoint people locations. How do you think authorities can locate cell phones on people who have been kidnapped? But I'm suppose to believe the GPS ties into the clock/weather app. I just came from France and my weather would update over wifi the correct city without being connected to GPS.

LOL LOL LOL

Tags: