• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Evo V OTG Not Working?

gothicnerd1033

Android Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2013
Philli, PA
Hi everyone,

I seem to be having difficulty getting my OTG working on my HTC Evo V 4g.

Heres some information:

1. Rooted
2. S-On
3. Rocking 4 different ROMs (2 are otg compatible)
4. Switching between the MAC and AnthraX Kernels(both OTG capable)
5. H-Boot 1.57
6. Hardware version: 0002
7. Seperately powered OTG cable

No matter what I try, I cannot get the Android API to recognize a USB device. I have this program called USB Host Diagnostics and this is what pops up on ALL of the ROMs, Even the OTG capable ones:

View attachment 48874

I have been searching these forums and even Google with no answer. I have seen many posts and videos where people have gotten this working, But I cannot seem to get it.

Isnt there supposed to be a OTG setting somewhere in the settings? All of these OTG capable roms (harmonia 3.17 and negalite 1.5) seem to be missing it, Unless I am just blind and cant see it anywhere.

But in USB Device Info, I can get the device to show up under "Linux", But not "Android".

View attachment 48875

View attachment 48876

Can anyone help me out? Where do I enable OTG? Why is the Android API not recognizing any device?

I don't use USB otg I don't even no what u use it for but I would assume that u should make sure u have the drivers for ya phone installed on ya computer

USB OTG Has nothing to do with a computer. It enables the ability to plug in a USB flash drive or a USB controller or keyboard into the phone. It is pretty handy if you have a small SD card and want to carry around a few movies on a flash drive, or want to play a playstation game through an emulator. You can actually use all the buttons without having to fiddle around trying to touch the buttons on the screen.

Upvote 0
Have you read this post? USB OTG Working - Android Forums
You also need a folder named usb on the sd card and also the stick mount app, after mounting you can browse your thumb drive by going to the usb folder. Good luck and let us know how you make out. :D
OB

Thanks for the reply, But yes I have gone through those posts, And I havent had any luck with the stickmount app. It basically says it cant mount something it cant see(my own words. I dont remember exactly what it says).

Edit: I actually flashed my phone with the harmonia ROM for that reason, Because it said it was a working ROM. Other than that I dont use it really. There was a youtube video with someone that has OTG working with the negalite rom, So I flashed that one today, With the same results in both of the apps I have pictured in my original post.

Upvote 0
Strange, worked for me straight out of the box following that thread. Are you sure that the cable isn't defective? When you plugged in your thumb drive did it light up?
OB

The flash drive itself doesnt have an LED (strange, I know) But I plugged in something I know that has a light(USB controller) and it lit up.

The phone itself seems to be detecting the devices, as shown in "USB Device Info(see screenshots)", But it seems the Android OS itself, Isnt detecting them. I dont understand what it could be. Both the Harmonia ROM and the Negalite ROM are both OTG capable according to the creators, And I am using OTG capable kernels. The cable doesnt seem to be defective either. Im in the process of actually making a 2nd cable out of spare cables to see if It is the cable or not. I honestly dont believe it is defective though.

Upvote 0
Well, I seem to of figured out the problem.

Turned out it wasnt the phone, or the ROM, or the USB Devices, But a weird quirk in the cable. Turns out for whatever reason, This cable DOES NOT have the data wires isolated from the power side of the cable, Causing the data pins to be shorted inside the HTC charger(Charging in AC mode) I use to power the cable.

It was causing the devices to not be detected inside the ROM. I managed to make a short 2 inch extension cable to plug in between the charger and theUSB wire itself, That isolates the data wires and everything seems to be working now.

It is weird though, Because my homemade one had the data pins isolated, and didnt work. I even tripple checked my wiring when I soldered.

Anyway, It is working now and thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I seem to be having difficulty getting my OTG working on my HTC Evo V 4g.

Heres some information:

1. Rooted
2. S-On
3. Rocking 4 different ROMs (2 are otg compatible)
4. Switching between the MAC and AnthraX Kernels(both OTG capable)
5. H-Boot 1.57
6. Hardware version: 0002
7. Seperately powered OTG cable

No matter what I try, I cannot get the Android API to recognize a USB device. I have this program called USB Host Diagnostics and this is what pops up on ALL of the ROMs, Even the OTG capable ones:

View attachment 48874

I have been searching these forums and even Google with no answer. I have seen many posts and videos where people have gotten this working, But I cannot seem to get it.

Isnt there supposed to be a OTG setting somewhere in the settings? All of these OTG capable roms (harmonia 3.17 and negalite 1.5) seem to be missing it, Unless I am just blind and cant see it anywhere.

But in USB Device Info, I can get the device to show up under "Linux", But not "Android".

View attachment 48875

View attachment 48876

Can anyone help me out? Where do I enable OTG? Why is the Android API not recognizing any device?
I'm with you on that my phone tells me the same!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones