• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Evo's SIZE!!!! OMG!!!!

You think the Evo is huge? Check this out:

Measures: 5.2" x 2.8" x .8" with extended battery.

SNC01155.jpg

SNC01156.jpg

SNC01162.jpg

hahahahahahahaha....My man! Classic

Upvote 0
I went to try the HD2 a few weeks ago. Of course, what an amazingly huge screen. i was blown away, but I did some standard test that it MUST pass in my eyes:

1.) Can I touch the other side of the screen with one hand using my thumb?
- It passed. It wasn't barely or even a stretch. I had no issues reaching across the entire display with my thumb. I have regular hands.

2.) Will it fit in my pocket comfortably.
- It also passed. Once in a while I have an issue with my iphone in my pocket, but it's rare and It'll just shift it around or take it out for a second. The HD2 fit the exact same way. Nothing noticibly different.

I then straight up compared it next to the iphone. Wow...it's not much bigger at all. the iphone uses like 75% for teh screen but the HD2/EVO uses 92% screen. That makes up for it, but I'm telling you if you haven't seen an HD2 go look at one. WOW.

Upvote 0
The HD2 actually thinner than the Iphone. HD2 11mm, iphone 12.3mm, Evo 4g 13mm

In fact, the EVO 4G is also thinner than the iPhone.

Looking at the specs from the HTC website (HTC EVO™ 4G (Sprint) | HTC Online Store (US)), the EVO is .47 inches thick (I guess Sprint's been rounding that up to .5 in it's official press releases), which makes the phone 11.9mm thick.

In terms of the exaggerated figures given by the thread's original poster, the EVO is not 2mm thicker and wider than the HD2. It's less than 1mm thicker, and it's almost the exact same width and height.

Reactions: mrk
Upvote 0
i'd get an incredible if it was offered by sprint... no 4g in my area yet, so EVO it is

I have the incredible, for the most part, sweeeeeet device! However, like a few others, i've been hit with some voice quality issues, and some other stuff not worth talking about in another Thread. But i'm gonna return it, grab the EVO, give it about 2/3 weeks, and if it's as good as the hype, I'm rockin it till something else grabs my attention. If not, back to a shinny brand new incredible, for which I hope any issues would have been worked out by then. Wont know until we all give it a whirl!!!

Upvote 0
You are joking, right? LOL it is bigger and wider than ANY phone on this planet. However, it is thin. The EVO is thicker and wider.

HAHAHAHA...no.

Blackberry Tour2 112x62x14mm

Blackberry Curve 106x61x 15mm

HTC EVO 122x66x13mm

That is 10 mm taller and 4 mm wider. 10 mm is less then .4 of and inch. Which is less then .5

Even with the curve that is 16 mm which is about .6 of a inch.

Now if you take the smallest of the blackberries and the biggest of the black berries, we have .5 of an inch, which is what I said.

The phone is not all that big. But if a 1/2 of an inch is too big, then it is too big.

You do not have to believe me take a look.

HTC EVO 4G Size Compare (Phone Arena)

Upvote 0
i honestly think that bigger phones are going to be the new trend. in the days of razr glory it was all about making the smallest and thinnest thing possible... now we want bigger screens and more functionality so naturally the phones are going to grow a bit.

personally i'm a little torn... i have really large hands and really skinny jeans. i know it will fit fine in my hand but im not sure about it fitting in my pants comfortably.

Upvote 0
HTC EVO 4G vs HTC HD2: Differences

Well, folks. I will say this. The EVO is truly a large phone. Anyone who denies that shouldn't even be taken seriously. However, that is both a pro and a con. Some people will love it because it's an advantage for web browsing, and anything else that you do with the screen. However, it really is super huge. For me it was a turn off, but at the same time, I saw that it could be useful. I love the idea of a 4.3 inch screen, but the overall size of the phone is just too big to be a cell phone imo. It's a catch 22...I love the size and hate the size.

Upvote 0
i honestly think that bigger phones are going to be the new trend. In the days of razr glory it was all about making the smallest and thinnest thing possible... Now we want bigger screens and more functionality so naturally the phones are going to grow a bit.

Personally i'm a little torn... I have really large hands and really skinny jeans. I know it will fit fine in my hand but im not sure about it fitting in my pants comfortably.

roflmfao!

Upvote 0
HAHAHAHA...no.

HTC EVO 122x66x13mm

That is 10 mm taller and 4 mm wider. 10 mm is less then .4 of and inch. Which is less then .5

Now if you take the smallest of the blackberries and the biggest of the black berries, we have .5 of an inch, which is what I said.

The phone is not all that big. But if a 1/2 of an inch is too big, then it is too big.

You said "no"? Even from the specs you showed, you agree that it's bigger, both in length and in width.

Upvote 0
I have the incredible, for the most part, sweeeeeet device! However, like a few others, i've been hit with some voice quality issues, and some other stuff not worth talking about in another Thread. But i'm gonna return it, grab the EVO, give it about 2/3 weeks, and if it's as good as the hype, I'm rockin it till something else grabs my attention. If not, back to a shinny brand new incredible, for which I hope any issues would have been worked out by then. Wont know until we all give it a whirl!!!

I'm in the same boat as you. Hope it floats:)

Upvote 0
I'm a Verizon customer and I don't hate on the Evo, I think it's gonna be a great device, my only beef is not having it available to us. Switching to sprint is not an option for me so I'm hosed. I actually like large phones and the feeling of actually holding something in your hand, not a little dainty thing. I remember having to use my fiancees phone once in a while after I had gotten used to my PPc, it was like: "The #$^@ is this?!?!?" It was like holding a tic tac to your ear after getting used to it being a brick.

Upvote 0
You said "no"? Even from the specs you showed, you agree that it's bigger, both in length and in width.

Ok, let me have this conversation again.

me said:
It is not all that big actually. If you compare it to a blackberry it is like 1/2 of an inch taller. That is it. it is just all screen.

you said:
You are joking, right? LOL it is bigger and wider than ANY phone on this planet. However, it is thin. The EVO is thicker and wider.

me said:
HAHAHAHA...no.

HTC EVO 122x66x13mm

To recap said it was .5 of and inch bigger. You said you are joking. I said no I am not and proved I was not. Now you are saying that I said that you said that I said it was bigger.

But I clearly said it was only .5 of an inch bigger.

It is only 4mm wider and 7mm taller then the iphone. 7 mm is like 1/4 of an inch.

if 1/4 of an inch is a deal breaker do not get the phone.

Upvote 0
briankeith wrote:
Well, folks. I will say this. The EVO is truly a large phone. Anyone who denies that shouldn't even be taken seriously. However, that is both a pro and a con. Some people will love it because it's an advantage for web browsing, and anything else that you do with the screen. However, it really is super huge. For me it was a turn off, but at the same time, I saw that it could be useful. I love the idea of a 4.3 inch screen, but the overall size of the phone is just too big to be a cell phone imo. It's a catch 22...I love the size and hate the size.

You do realize the absurdity of your statements, don't you? I just realized you are the same individual that has been barking about the size of the EVO for awhile now. We get it, you think the phone is too big. As I told YOU in previous threads, here is the skinny:

Size Comparison for the EVO, Incredible, Iphone, and Nexus:

iPhone HD (iPhone 4G) vs Droid Incredible vs EVO 4G vs Nexus One spec showdown! | TiPb

In particular:

EVO = 4.8 x 2.6 x .5 inches. 6 oz weight.
Incredible = 4.6 x 2.3 x .47 inches. 4.6 oz weight.

Now I'm a reasonable man, but someone is telling me that the .2 inches of length, and the .3 inches of width, and the .03 inches of width, make the EVO some sort of behemoth over the Incredible? :rolleyes:

We're talking about a little less and little more than 1/4 of inch on the length and width, and less than a 1/16th on the thickness? I'll grant you that the 1.4 oz of extra weight is going to be an absolute killer for even the most seasoned athlete, but other than that, come on.
We are talking about a cell phone here. Up till a few years ago, cell phones were plenty big. Hell, the first one I had would barely fit in my hand let alone my pocket. Now we are in 2010 and we have a device like the Incredible or EVO and people are complaining it is, "JUST TOO BIG". If it is too big for you, I would recommend you don't get it.

I have spent probably an hour and half messing around with the Incredible and while it is a beautiful, wonderful, amazing piece of equipment, my major grip is the size of the screen. If anyone tells you that they prefer surfing the web or doing any utilities on a smaller rather than larger screen, they are flat out lying or they are crazy.

Now, whether or not the trade off for packing around this slab of meat (EVO) versus one of its thin light little competitors, is worth the size of that screen, that is a personal choice.

I have said before, and I'll say again. If the EVO is the Roseanne Barr of android smart phones, then the Incredible is the Rosie O'Donnell. Because the discrepancy in size of these 2 machines is hardly worth mentioning.

Reactions: mrk and THEFORCE
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones