1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC Flyer Announced

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Feb 15, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot
    None

Apr 12, 2008
    HTC’s just announced the HTC Flyer at their press event here in Barcelona. Due to limited space we weren’t able to get in on the unveiling ourselves, but we hear it has a 1.5 GHz processor, is 7 inches large, and runs Android 2.4 – no Honeycomb here, guys. A new tablet version of Sense [...]

More...

Advertisement

2. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    I was looking forward to concrete news on HTC's tablet. At least now I know it's one to avoid and I can cross it off my list of prospective purchases.

3. swagner53

swagner53 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    No pricing and they didn't say no Honeycomb, it just won't ship with it. I think the stylus is very useful for anyone who needs to take notes quickly- students, execs in meetings, anyone who needs to draw. If the pricing is good this may do it although battery seems a bit poor.

4. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    Like every other tablet announced, right now it's going to come down to price. Personally, I wouldn't invest in any Android tablet that doesn't come with or expressly state it will be upgraded to Honeycomb unless it's cheap. I'm willing to bet that with it's aluminum unbodied construction, this one won't be cheap by a long shot. If I really wanted a tab now, I'm still leaning towards buying a Nook, hacking it and waiting till Honeycomb is out and its devices get a whole lot cheaper. Right now, it seems all the manufacturers are trying their hardest not to get down to netbook commodity pricing. As long as this continues, Apple wins big.

5. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Piece of garbage. How much you wanna bet the video capture will be super grainy and the picture load times off the micro SD card will be horrendous.

I hate Apple, I really do, but man...I haven't seen one Android device that can keep pace with Apple's multimedia speed.

/rant.

6. Smiles

Smiles Newbie
    None

May 14, 2010
    wireless performance engineer
    Las Vegas
    I really like the stylus writing capability, but ug, why the 7 inch display. I don't own and ipad, but I like the thin wide screen on my friend's. I thought the Galaxy Tab was a stupid move to the extra large cell phone screen instead of the iPad size. Now HTC makes the same move. Is there really a test market out there that said they wanted the 7 inch screen? I'm sad. I like my HTC EVO , truly, and I am O.K. with Gingerbread in the device, but the screen size is like a slightly larger version of my EVO. If I wanted another paper weight with a screen, I would have bought the Galaxy Tab.

7. alinver

alinver Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    writer/traveller
    Edinburgh Scotland
  8. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    I really dig this tablet, I think the stylus is an awesome idea. However, anyone know or have heard anything how it willl be sold in the US? as in which carrier, WiFi only one etc etc etc

9. viber

viber Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    USA Army
    I like it. I certainly think it's got a practical side that the Xoom does not have.

All these tablets will be bargain basement toys in 6 months because I believe lots of people want an iPad, but don't want a tablet, and since Apple is a one man army it reaps all the rewards.

10. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    It's like an EVO with a bigger screen and a stupid stylus.

Why the crap would you want to doodle on the screen anyway? It's not like it can be viewed on any other device.

11. Smiles

Smiles Newbie
    None

May 14, 2010
    wireless performance engineer
    Las Vegas
    The release news I saw said it was capable of operating on HSPA+. I know that is the almost-4G choice of T-Mobile.

12. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    In all honestly, the only way I will buy any tablet is if it's WiFi only. I'm not trying to pay for data service on one.... because that's why I have a smartphone... to use the internet when I'm not around a spot I can use a computer. However, a tablet could be useful for doing my everyday web surfing and video watching at home/school rather than using a laptop. Definitely would bring a richer more interactive web experience than you get with a basic laptop or a phone. Plus the addition of the stylus could hold useful for school so we'lll see I suppose

13. alinver

alinver Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    writer/traveller
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I'm not 100% sure about the stylus/pen, I can't think of a reason why I'd use it, and because it's not tethered to the tab I'll probably end up losing it anyway.

As for a network connection I'm happy to use my Desire as a wifi hotspot but I can see the attraction of a data plan if you don't want to pay too much up front.

Al