1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Gingerbread update.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KingDong, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Bedroom Eyes

Bedroom Eyes Well-Known Member

I'm new to the whole smartphone thing, just bought my DHD a few days ago and I'm running the stock system that came with the phone, what's the benefit of updating to the new version?

Advertisement

2. abhineetkundu

abhineetkundu Newbie

This is the reply from VODAFONE AU as of yesterday 10-05-11. shucks you vodafone au

Untitled.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the attachment, noob alert thats the only way i figured how to add pics to a forum
    [​IMG]

3. dijon

dijon Member

I got tired of waiting so I updated my phone manually using the RUU file here:

Download: HTC Desire HD Gingerbread - Android Root Guides, Reviews, Tablets

Note for anyone trying this: This removed all my user data and apps from the phone (but not SD card) during the update, so its not for people with loads of customisations! You need to have HTC sync installed for the update to communicate with the phone.

Initial thoughts are that GB is definitely quicker in some areas than Froyo, but scrolling menus can be choppy. It took a reboot once the update had finished and I put all my accounts back in, before everything worked again as before.

Also, Android market automatically downloaded all my apps again (paid and free) so I didn't have to. Obviously with lots of apps installing at once the phone can feel a little slow. I just put the phone down for half an hour and let it get on with it. Some apps that stored settings on the SD card picked up their settings OK.

Having said all that, there's no 'OMFG' moment with 2.3.3, so I doubt I'll be manually updating again in future (until I go to a custom ROM anyway!)

4. Nybras

Nybras Well-Known Member

5. azzywazzy

azzywazzy Newbie

got email from htc saying today is the final rollout day and that i would be pushed the update

MaxyDad likes this.
  6. DannyR2811

DannyR2811 Member

Speaking to Olga at HTC asking about my phone..

Olga: Hi Danny, thank you for contacting HTC Support, I’m looking in to your query now.

Olga: Could you please provide your serial number or the IMEI number (dial *#06# on the phone) and i will check if your device is branded or not.

Danny: 3********** is the devices IMEI number

Olga: Thank you, one moment please.

Olga: As i can see you have an unbranded Desire HD.

Olga: We are pleased to inform you that the 2.3 (Gingerbread) update has been released for the Desire HD. To check if the update is available for your handset go MENU - SETTINGS - ABOUT PHONE - SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATES - CHECK NOW. If the update is not found just try again in a few days.

Danny: Should I check every few days then?

Olga: You can do if you like, you can check as many times as you wish, currently we are rolling out the update to over 30,000 devices each day so please bear with us while it gets to you.

8. Nigredo

Nigredo Well-Known Member

9. azzywazzy

azzywazzy Newbie

tell me if it works please

10. DannyR2811

DannyR2811 Member

Updated using RUU.

Android Version

HTC Sense Version

Baseband Version
    13.56.60.25U_26.09.04.11_M2

Kernel Version
    2.6.35.10-g0956377

Build Number

11. Nigredo

You are unbranded, using O2 SIM, correct?

12. DannyR2811

DannyR2811 Member

Correct, I've manually updated

13. blearyboy

blearyboy Newbie

I've also updated manually: I used a custom ROM though. I used the CoreDroid ROM (2.3.3 with Sense 2.1)

Excellent so far. All the joys of Gingerbread and Sense (which is my personal favourite UI) but I'm also rooted with no stock apps.

14. azzywazzy

azzywazzy Newbie

how do you manually update ?

15. DannyR2811

DannyR2811 Member

azzywazzy likes this.
  16. Nigredo

17. Mikelarry85

Mikelarry85 Newbie

Anyone on t-mobile uk got this update yet?

18. DannyR2811

DannyR2811 Member

The RUU? Megaupload I think or Rapidshare.

In that thread is everything you need, I'm running it fine.

19. bbqbeef

bbqbeef Lurker

Im on T-mobile UK And nothing yet.

Mikelarry85 likes this.
  20. DannyR2811

DannyR2811 Member

From HTC UK Facebook.

Hey guys, firstly we want to thank you all for being so patient about the Gingerbread update. We’ve been pushing this really hard and are pleased to announce that we are aiming to have the HTC Gingerbread update for unlocked HTC Desire HD and HTC Incredible S models available on 16th May 2011. For those waiting for their specific operator update, rest assured that we’re working very closely with each operator to get this just right and will update you as soon as we possibly can. Once again, we really appreciate your support and patience on this.

Finally a date!

21. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

The 16th! I'm very curious as to why it's then considering Vodafone have been able to push it out.

22. Nigredo

23. Nybras

Nybras Well-Known Member

Me too!

24. springy

springy Android Enthusiast

i wonder if they are making changes to the 2.36.405.8. That's the only reason why I haven't flash my ROM yet... If it has been delayed this long, they must be making changes to it...

25. WigglesGRN

WigglesGRN Member

Voda did there testing with the rest of the eu ones so it was pushed when it was ready, the other UK networks were not ready then from what I remember don the HTC page

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews