• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

htc going to help us fix our "unofficial" updated phones

84guy

Feb 25, 2010
California
HTC

"If you applied the unofficial EVO update, we are working to get you back on the official track. We will get back to you in the coming days"

HTC | Facebook

makes me love htc more hehe

Update

http://twitter.com/HTC

"Those of you running the unofficial EVO update have an OTA update coming now. Oh, and source code is live. Enjoy! http://developer.htc.com/"

We are off track because supposedly we are using a beta or a unofficial version. I guess we will see in the up coming days. This is good news though. It confirms that the one that most people are running is in fact the not official.

I am really glad to see htc staying on top of things. I wish they were that way when I had my hero.

Upvote 0
The folks who updated with the unofficial will still not have root when HTC gets them back on track. There most likely going to give them the official update and even if for some miracle they downgrade them 1.4, the phone will have a different Hboot and the flash hack will not work so meh on rooting a older version. So they still have to wait for FROYO to be rooted. Giving you guys a heads up with the upcoming threads WHY HTC!!!, I lost root AGAIN!!!, and my fav my GF updated my phone. POW

Upvote 0
I dont get, that "if" its NOT the official release, then that means something would be different in the "official", no? And if something is different, it would be a DIFFERENT build, no? Maybe im going out on a limb, or that bowl of stupid I ate for breakfast is effecting my judgement idk. Can I has a 2nd opinion?

Upvote 0
Reading between the lines here, it seems we 'unofficial' people will not be updating (or should not, anyway) with the 'official' OTA. We'll get a separate one that just incorporates whatever minor differences there are between the official OTA and the the one we installed.

I think it's a great support decision on HTCs part. Maybe they did appreciate the big mass beta. Anyway, I'm sure the changes are going to be extremely minor...so I can wait.

Upvote 0
other then my flash issue which i fixed thanks to do link that was provided with the new flash for 2.2.... i'm good with this version for now i can't see how any other version could be that much diffrent..... but we'll wait and see atleast HTC is keeping us up to date on news.....

does make you wonder though what could be so wrong with this version
i guess tomorrow we'll find out if we can just OTA the new update of what and what could be diffrent

Upvote 0
I dont get, that "if" its NOT the official release, then that means something would be different in the "official", no? And if something is different, it would be a DIFFERENT build, no? Maybe im going out on a limb, or that bowl of stupid I ate for breakfast is effecting my judgement idk. Can I has a 2nd opinion?

Exactly. If they are going to change something, the build number will roll, in which case it will be a newer build which will just update to our phones. No big deal.

Upvote 0

Let's just say the build number will be different makes our lives easy.

Upvote 0
Since I am never going to check for updates, that's good by me :)

My first two thoughts:
Either the "leaked" version was for the dev community so people who want root can have it easily...like a gesture of friendliness to the community.

Or...

The new one fixes all the holes they saw from the rooted roms, and everyone who takes this update will wait even longer for root (should they desire it).

Either way, I am puttin on my tinfoil hat (so much for my wifi range since I ran out of tinfoil).

Upvote 0
OK, here's where I'm placing my bet. There will be 2 OTAs...one for the people currently on 2.1 and a second for those who are already on 2.2. They are currently working on the second one, so it will follow later. HTC did say that the unofficial 2.2 was definitely not the final. They will have to generate 2 different patches...one against 2.1 and one against the unofficial 2.2, thus, 2 different OTAs. I'll bet the final will have a different build number as well.

I'm making all of this up, but it makes sense to me.

Reactions: Ravensthief
Upvote 0
I love how they call the update THEY put on THEIR website "unofficial". Its not like we got it off the back of a truck or something. It may not be a final version, but its hardly "unofficial".

Did htc tell you it was there? Did they tell you to download it? Did they ever call it final, finished, complete, or official?

Or did some blogger who got wind of it post it, followed by a bunch of other blogs repeating it and making the asssumption that it was official just because it was on an htc web site?

If htc had put the link on their home page, or on the main Evo page, and said 'Here it is!" then you might be right. But they didn't, and you aren't.

Upvote 0
OK, here's where I'm placing my bet. There will be 2 OTAs...one for the people currently on 2.1 and a second for those who are already on 2.2. They are currently working on the second one, so it will follow later. HTC did say that the unofficial 2.2 was definitely not the final. They will have to generate 2 different patches...one against 2.1 and one against the unofficial 2.2, thus, 2 different OTAs. I'll bet the final will have a different build number as well.

I'm making all of this up, but it makes sense to me.

Makes sense but they only have to make one build number for everyone. Remember ya'll aint suppose to have 2.,2 so everything will get erase files,apps,etc you know the deal about updating. I think everyone will get the same build number no matter what. They won't just release a patch and have a set of two problems with different builds and some have bugs on this build and some on another. They rather deal with one problem. Oh and there will be problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones